Epley's comments on Talent

Warrior10

Epley didn't actually use the "Jimmies and Joes" line did he?

I think all he did was comment on the talent level or performance metric, and people spun that however they pleased using it as an excuse to justify this season to saying it was a PR stunt by the AD

Exactly.

Look, he is commenting on one ingredient of making a good football team. He is commenting on the strength and speed of the players when they hit campus.

There is more to making a good football player than that. Yes, it helps.

There are players who are freak athletes but they don't have the football instincts. There are players who aren't quite as athletic but they are dang good football players based on heart and instincts. Then, there are players that have both that turn out to be amazing athletes. Those are the guys like Suh, Ameer and David.

My concern with Epley's comments are that I hope if we do what he wants and test camp attendees that we don't just look at that. They have to be good football players too and there are some kids who might not test out to be 1500 but they are still really good football players.

Use it as a tool. But, not your only tool.

• Fire 3

If I'm not mistaken, he also said he volleyball team had the best scoring of any team on campus. OH! LOOK! They are in the final four too! Funny how that works...

Yeah I think three scored in the "top" group, same number as the football team. But, proportionately, there are only what... about 15-20 girls on the VB team more than 100 on the football?

My concern with Epley's comments are that I hope if we do what he wants and test camp attendees that we don't just look at that. They have to be good football players too and there are some kids who might not test out to be 1500 but they are still really good football players.

I agree.

It's the tools used by the athletic trainers and only part of the equation. The other part of the equation... determining the football IQ and mental aspects of players is up to...

The coaches.

Which brings us right back to square one. The coaches need to be talented at recruiting and player development and winning football games. They need to deliver.

I agree.

It's the tools used by the athletic trainers and only part of the equation. The other part of the equation... determining the football IQ and mental aspects of players is up to...

The coaches.

Which brings us right back to square one. The coaches need to be talented at recruiting and player development and winning football games. They need to deliver.

yup, and i don't see Riley and his 2nd tier staff doing this very well.......

Anyone who doesn't think it's about Jimmy and Joe's are crazy. Look at Ameer for example, prolly won 3 games by himself last year. If he was on this team they might have only lost 1-2 games.

True...but they also rushed it 150 more times last year...and didn't AA miss 1 or 2 games?

So, how does the team end up with 150 more rushing attempts?

Anyone who doesn't think it's about Jimmy and Joe's are crazy. Look at Ameer for example, prolly won 3 games by himself last year. If he was on this team they might have only lost 1-2 games.

True...but they also rushed it 150 more times last year...and didn't AA miss 1 or 2 games?

So, how does the team end up with 150 more rushing attempts?

If we didn't have Ameer I wonder how effective our rushing attack would have been in 2014? I wonder if we would have rushed the same number of times?

I agree.

The coaches.

yup, and i don't see Riley and his 2nd tier staff doing this very well.......

ummmm take your head out of the sand. I know Riley and his staff have more knowledge of recruiting than anyone on this board.

• Fire 1

Epley said that the football team needed more players that required less development and coaching time. That's coach speak for "Jimmys and Joes"

True. Better jimmies and joes can make up for some coaching deficits.

Yep. Suh, Lavonte David, Ameer, Rex, Helu, etc. definitely proved that.

You're trying too hard.

Epley said that the football team needed more players that required less development and coaching time. That's coach speak for "Jimmys and Joes"

True. Better jimmies and joes can make up for some coaching deficits.

Yep. Suh, Lavonte David, Ameer, Rex, Helu, etc. definitely proved that.

Exactly. Guys who came in ready to contribute in meaningful ways. Even if it was on special teams. NU can't expect to win and win now on some 2 year plan. We need to recruit guys who can add depth and compete immediately. Derrick Young at LB is a prime example. As is Devine Ozigbo. guys who came in a fresh, but had the physical tools and abilities to play immediately. This builds depth and continuity from year to year.

• Fire 1