Epley's comments on Talent

Warrior10

Ameer also came in and contributed right away ahead of 2 highly touted RB's. let's not act like he was some meek and mild player buried on the depth chart

So...you are saying Ameer jumped over 2 highly touted running backs. Did he have more talent than them or did he learn more and became better by outworking them? "Meek and mild" or "Heart of a Lion" has nothing to do with talent. That is a personality trait, and neither is mutually exclusive or a portent of how one performs. See, there was this one meek and mild guy named Barry Sanders...

Ameer also came in and contributed right away ahead of 2 highly touted RB's. let's not act like he was some meek and mild player buried on the depth chart

So...you are saying Ameer jumped over 2 highly touted running backs. Did he have more talent than them or did he learn more and became better by outworking them? "Meek and mild" or "Heart of a Lion" has nothing to do with talent. That is a personality trait, and neither is mutually exclusive or a portent of how one performs. See, there was this one meek and mild guy named Barry Sanders...

I think the talent level was equal among the 3. He outworked the other 2.

And please. Barry Sanders had talent.

There is no doubt he was given an amazing gift early on.

One man's given gift is another man's acquired skill, I guess. The difference being if we all agree it is a "given gift" then it excuses a lot of people from having to make a considerable effort. Like saying "Computers hate me!" or "I can't do math!" or "I can't swim because I sink like a rock!"

It's an example of both.

Expound, please. What physical talent vaulted Ameer over so many other players? I say he outworked them and outlearned them.
Don't forget Ameer's incredibly strong legs. He was only 5'9 198, yet he was able to run over people if they didn't have the right tackle form. If you watch him run and make all of the cuts he had, you notice how low he gets. He doesn't bend at the waist, he bends at his hips which lowers your center of gravity, gives you more balance, and allows you to explode out of that stance with more power. It's the sign of a squatter in the weight room.

Also this doesn't discredit your comment either. By doing this he had to work on technique religiously until it became muscle memory and second nature, which meant that he had to allow himself to learn what the proper technique was and then work hard at being as close to perfect at it as possible. His ability to squat and focus on technique is what made him better than his teammates and was the reason he was on the field. I wont forget to mention how rigorously Abdullah watched film, the guy could see a gaping hole that looked blocked to everyone else.

Anyways, when he makes a cut, he still moves forward as well which is what Newby struggles so much with. Newby makes a cut that might make a guy miss, but he has so much wasted movement that he doesn't end up moving forward as he's making his cut and gives the defenders time to recover. It's a sign that his technique isnt as sound and ultimately the level of his strength and technique isn't as high as what Abdullah's was.

One man's given gift is another man's acquired skill, I guess. The difference being if we all agree it is a "given gift" then it excuses a lot of people from having to make a considerable effort. Like saying "Computers hate me!" or "I can't do math!" or "I can't swim because I sink like a rock!"

Nope.

Look at his high school highlight reel.

He already had the "gift" and he knew it. He knew he could "swim" (run with the football). He was the very definition of a gifted athlete.

Ameer was also a very determined and self confident person. He took personal responsibility for his own development every step of the way. We gave him the facility... he did the work.

Nope.

He already had the "gift" and he knew it. He knew he could "swim" (run with football). He was the very definition of a gifted athlete.

He knew had a gift, but he worked very hard in the weight room and film room to become the rb he was his junior and senior year.

Nope.

He already had the "gift" and he knew it. He knew he could "swim" (run with football). He was the very definition of a gifted athlete.

He knew had a gift, but he worked very hard in the weight room and film room to become the rb he was his junior and senior year.

I agree. See my edit of my comment which I was typing when you replied.

Are you seriously saying that Barry Sanders wasn't an great talent?

Are you seriously saying that Barry Sanders wasn't an great talent?

I am saying he was mild mannered and somewhat meek. So much so, that he demurred from going back into a game to claim the seasonal rushing title because he thought it would be thoughtless to take away carries from his back up.

The entire time I was a kid I wanted to be a professional athlete. Now that I'm 48 I find out that I didn't need talent, all I needed was hard work

If you knew that back then, would it had made a difference? :P

I guess according to some, it would have. Never mind I was 6'3" and 160 lbs coming out of HS with a 3" vertical jump. I could have gone on to great things. I could have turned that into a 42" vertical and ran a 4.3 40. If I only had the heart and work ethic.

Oh the missed opportunities in life.