Epley's comments on Talent

Warrior10

Maybe I missed it, but I'm surprised no one has speculated who did the best on the testing.

I bet Wilbon was tops among RBs and my money is on Alonzo Moore for the WRs, though I bet DPE would be tops if he was healthy. I'll go with Chris Jones among the DBs.

I think Wilbon may be up there. I think Newby would be #1 though. His issues are not athleticism.

Reading up a few posts would have done you some good..

Nope. Same answer. Riley at 5-7 doesn't get a pass. This board had decreed last year that anyone can get nine wins at Nebraska, so anybody and everybody who would have went 5-7 gets the big dump.

If you disagree, go back about 40-45 pages and take it up with those who said it, not me.

You need to fight this battle elsewhere. I've done the moving posts out of this thread thing. Next up is suspensions.

Frankly, I'd prefer you keep the trolling out of the board at all. There *is* a FightBackAgainstBoCriticsBoard somewhere, out there, I am sure.

• Fire 1

I revert back to the statement where someone said they are thinking you really have no clue what you are talking about.

Of course, that's got to be it. :thumbs

Chuck Norris described himself as being un-athletic and on top of that, he broke his shoulder during his first two weeks of marital arts training. Yet he retired as undefeated Middleweight Full Contact Karate champion. Do you think that was because of some "revealed talent" or because he practiced for five hours every day?

So....

You are honestly...with a straight face....telling me that if I had only worked harder when I was younger I could have been as good as Irving Fryer as a WR or Mike Rozier as a RB or Turner Gill as a QB...Or...if I so choose, I could have been the next Dave Rimington. All I was missing is the hard work they obviously put in.

Ben Hogan always said that anyone that didn't have some sort of physical disabilty could learn to shoot scratch golf. I agree with him. But most people aren't willing to put in the amount of effort required, mostly because there are no guarantees.

So in principle, I agree with Bowfin.

Ben Hogan was himself one of the greatest golfers of all time. But I'm not sure he's right about that. Ever hear about The Dan Plan? LINK Dan may be disproving what Ben Hogan said.

That said, I think it's clear that anyone can *improve* considerably with sufficient effort and training.

I revert back to the statement where someone said they are thinking you really have no clue what you are talking about.

Chuck Norris described himself as being un-athletic and on top of that, he broke his shoulder during his first two weeks of marital arts training. Yet he retired as undefeated Middleweight Full Contact Karate champion. Do you think that was because of some "revealed talent" or because he practiced for five hours every day?

So....

You are honestly...with a straight face....telling me that if I had only worked harder when I was younger I could have been as good as Irving Fryer as a WR or Mike Rozier as a RB or Turner Gill as a QB...Or...if I so choose, I could have been the next Dave Rimington. All I was missing is the hard work they obviously put in.

Ben Hogan always said that anyone that didn't have some sort of physical disabilty could learn to shoot scratch golf. I agree with him. But most people aren't willing to put in the amount of effort required, mostly because there are no guarantees.

Ben Hogan was himself one of the greatest golfers of all time. But I'm not sure he's right about that. Ever hear about The Dan Plan? LINK Dan may be disproving what Ben Hogan said.

That said, I think it's clear that anyone can *improve* considerably with sufficient effort and training.

But Hogan followed his own advice. In the history of the world, no one spent more time on the practice range than Hogan. And he was the greatest golfer ever. If not for a horrific bus accident, he would've set records that no one would've ever touched.

So....

But Hogan followed his own advice. In the history of the world, no one spent more time on the practice range than Hogan. And he was the greatest golfer ever. If not for a horrific bus accident, he would've set records that no one would've ever touched.

Sure, Ben Hogan no doubt improved a lot due to his incredible work ethic. But I'm guessing he had a lot of native talent to begin with. My point was that some people, perhaps most people, couldn't become scratch golfers regardless of how much practice they put in. The guy Dan McLaughlin (The Dan Plan) put in over 5,000 hours to get to a +2 handicap. That was two years ago. I'm not sure has made it to scratch since then. And I'm sure there are a lot of people with less natural athletic ability and golf talent than Dan who simply would not have the capability to get that low.

We've got some legendary coaches' quotes in here and I thought I saw something resembling this one (so I figured we needed to give another the credit he's due):

"We tell all of our men that the first and foremost requisite of a good football player is that he must have a burning desire to play the game. There is absolutely no substitute for this."

---Coach Frank Leahy

The guy Dan McLaughlin (The Dan Plan) put in over 5,000 hours to get to a +2 handicap. That was two years ago. I'm not sure has made it to scratch since then.

I think that goes back to Vince Lombardi's quote: "Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect Practice makes perfect." A person would get to the point where they have done all that they could on their own, but if they had some advice, tips, and feedback from a coach, then they might not be topped out where they are.

I don't know and can't say if the Dan Plan plus a good coach would make a scratch golfer out Dan, but in footballl and every other human endeavor I think "talent" is too often and cavalierly substituted for "skill".

Epley said that the football team needed more players that required less development and coaching time. That's coach speak for "Jimmys and Joes"

True. Better jimmies and joes can make up for some coaching deficits.

Yep. Suh, Lavonte David, Ameer, Rex, Helu, etc. definitely proved that.

You're trying too hard.

You, of all people, are saying this? Saints preserve us.......

• Fire 1

So....

Obviously you haven't played golf before

Getting back to the subject...

Nick Saban has said that when Alabama recruits, he has a set of metrics (height, weight, speed, strength etc) for every position on the field for which they are recruiting.

He has said that Alabama will not recruit any player that does not fit those metrics no matter what. He has used those metrics since day one at Alabama... for every position on the field.

If there are multiple recruits that meet those metrics then yes the will look at other factors... but first they must meet the metrics. No exceptions.

Boyd is saying he wants to test as many players as possible during the recruiting process. Smart.

• Fire 2

Nick Saban has said that when Alabama recruits, he has a set of metrics (height, weight, speed, strength etc) for every position on the field for which they are recruiting.

He has said that Alabama will not recruit any player that does not fit those metrics no matter what. He has used those metrics since day one at Alabama... for every position on the field.

If there are multiple recruits that meet those metrics then yes the will look at other factors... but first they must meet the metrics. No exceptions.

Boyd is saying he wants to test as many players as possible during the recruiting process. Smart.

Yeah -- great post. I think just having this kind of direction, and S&C/football/recruiting working all in tandem, is going to pay dividends in development and roster. It it doesn't translate to on field, I'm sure a new coaching staff will enjoy a very nice starting point in a few years. Hopefully with Epley and Philipp still here.

That is interesting! I read an article a few years back about Will Smith (The Actor)...I guess him and his agent sat down and went over every "summer blockbuster" for like the previous 10 years...they combed through them all and found out the main things that they all had in common and they decided that those and only those movies would be the kinds that he would make...I am not a huge Will Smith fan but it seems like his research has paid off...Seems like Sabans has too