B1G bowl blowouts

The SEC is the only conf to slot its bowl based on match ups. Tenn was a bad match up for NW. Florida vs NW and Tenn vs Mich would have been better but the B1G likely goes 2-0 vs SEC which they don't want.

Iowa just laid an egg which and is not the first B1G to struggle in the Rose Bowl. They benefited from a pretty weak schedule this year. Mich St got lucky with two wins and had a bad loss. Somehow the committee leap frogged them over OU to face Bama, whose stout D-line is a terrible match up for Mich State. OU vs Bama in Dallas was potentially bad for Bama so they leapfrogged MSU to play Bama instead. I don't think MSU would beat Clemson but they could have given them fits and who knows how the game goes.

Also keep in mind that the number of NY6 teams affects all the parings down the line. It likely would not have affected the MSU & Iowa blow outs but the PAC only had 1 team in NY6, SEC 2 and B1G 3. If SEC had 3 and B1G had 2 the B1G would have 2 cakewalks over the SEC in the Citrus (Ohio State vs Tenn), Outback (Mich vs UGa) and a good chance in the Gator (Wisc/NW vs Ark/Miss State).

I can see why they jumped Mich St over OU. IMO they did this because OU didn't play a Conference Championship game and also had a terrible loss to Texas. Both losses would have made them equal, but the Championship game put Mich St ahead of OU.

The committee spokesperson, Jeff Long (?), said that it came down to things like wins over top ten teams...but MSU had the advantages he mentioned before they jumped Okiehomey. I don't mind being lied to so much when the lies make sense. See also: the talk about how starting the playoff on NYE just sort of happened. Anyway, here's the quote:

“Great discussion, great debate,” College Football Playoff Committee chairman Jeff Long said of the choice between Michigan State and Oklahoma. “Both conference champions, both four wins over Top 25 teams, but what it came down to was really Michigan State with two top 10 wins and then adding the win over last week’s No. 4-ranked team. I think when you looked at the body of work, the complete resume, that’s what pushed Michigan State just slightly ahead of Oklahoma.”’

The committee spokesperson, Jeff Long (?), said that it came down to things like wins over top ten teams...but MSU had the advantages he mentioned before they jumped Okiehomey. I don't mind being lied to so much when the lies make sense. See also: the talk about how starting the playoff on NYE just sort of happened. Anyway, here's the quote:

“Great discussion, great debate,” College Football Playoff Committee chairman Jeff Long said of the choice between Michigan State and Oklahoma. “Both conference champions, both four wins over Top 25 teams, but what it came down to was really Michigan State with two top 10 wins and then adding the win over last week’s No. 4-ranked team. I think when you looked at the body of work, the complete resume, that’s what pushed Michigan State just slightly ahead of Oklahoma.”’

The committee failed this year.

The committee claimed to be in favor of the best 4 teams playing in the playoff. If so, then that should have included Ohio State in the playoff rather than either MS or Oklahoma.

The two best teams in the country this year are Alabama and Ohio State. Both should have been in the playoff. Unfortunately the playoff committee failed in it's responsibility.

Hopefully the committee will make some changes in the future to stop this type of outcome. The sport really needs them to get this right.

Great discussion, great debate, College Football Playoff Committee chairman Jeff Long said of the choice between Michigan State and Oklahoma. Both conference champions, both four wins over Top 25 teams, but what it came down to was really Michigan State with two top 10 wins and then adding the win over last weeks No. 4-ranked team. I think when you looked at the body of work, the complete resume, thats what pushed Michigan State just slightly ahead of Oklahoma.

The committee claimed to be in favor of the best 4 teams playing in the playoff. If so, then that should have included Ohio State in the playoff rather than either MS or Oklahoma.

The two best teams in the country this year are Alabama and Ohio State. Both should have been in the playoff. Unfortunately the playoff committee failed in it's responsibility.

Hopefully the committee will make some changes in the future to stop this type of outcome. The sport really needs them to get this right.

I agree that Ohio State and Alabama were probably the 2 best teams this season, however Ohio State blew their chance for their playoff spot when they lost to MSU at home when they faced a backup QB. The regular season games have to matter for something, so MSU deserved the bid over the Buckeyes.

Great discussion, great debate, College Football Playoff Committee chairman Jeff Long said of the choice between Michigan State and Oklahoma. Both conference champions, both four wins over Top 25 teams, but what it came down to was really Michigan State with two top 10 wins and then adding the win over last weeks No. 4-ranked team. I think when you looked at the body of work, the complete resume, thats what pushed Michigan State just slightly ahead of Oklahoma.

I agree that Ohio State and Alabama were probably the 2 best teams this season, however Ohio State blew their chance for their playoff spot when they lost to MSU at home when they faced a backup QB. The regular season games have to matter for something, so MSU deserved the bid over the Buckeyes.

CH, thanks for your reply.

Three of the four teams had one loss...just like Ohio State. The committee claimed to be able to "overlook" one-off defeats... but somehow not this year. For the sake of the sport... the committee must get these machups right.

I can guarantee you that Urban Meyer will NEVER make the mistake again of allowing an offensive coordinator to ruin their season.

They could have gone back to back... and the Ohio State players knew it.

CH, thanks for your reply.

Three of the four teams had one loss...just like Ohio State. The committee claimed to be able to "overlook" one-off defeats... but somehow not this year. For the sake of the sport... the committee must get these machups right.

I can guarantee you that Urban Meyer will NEVER make the mistake again of allowing an offensive coordinator to ruin their season.

They could have gone back to back... and the Ohio State players knew it.

But, if you look at the complete body of work and the losses by the one-loss teams in contention, Ohio State clearly had the weakest resume (comparing to OU, MSU, and Alabama). Ohio State really only had one quality win over a Michigan team, and lost in the head-to-head matchup against MSU. MSU then was able to add on a win over Iowa in the B1G title game. Oklahoma had a very odd loss to Texas, but after that had big wins over Baylor (on the road), TCU, and Okie State (again on the road). Again they had a better resume than Ohio State.

The reason I like the playoffs at only 4 teams is that it still maintains the importance of the regular season. Stanford missed the playoff because they had a bonehead loss to Northwestern to open the season. The Ohio State-Michigan State loss wouldn't have meant anything to Ohio State if the playoffs were expanded to 6 or 8 teams. The Notre Dame-Stanford game at the end of the season would have been meaningless to Notre Dame if there was an 8 team playoff, which they would probably have been in.

MSU beat OSU head to head. So that makes OSU better than MSU?

Everyone knows that Virginia Tech beat Ohio State last year... then Ohio State went on to win the national championship.

So last year was Ohio State a better team than Virginia Tech even though VT had beaten them? Yes they were.

Same this year with MS.

Meyer probably made the biggest mistake of his career by handing ultimate control of offensive play calling to go to someone else. There's going to be a lifetime of "what ifs" by the Ohio State Players and coaches.

Everyone knows that Virginia Tech beat Ohio State last year... then Ohio State went on to win the national championship.

So last year was Ohio State a better team than Virginia Tech even though VT had beaten them? Yes they were.

Same this year with MS.

Meyer probably made the biggest mistake of his career by handing ultimate control of offensive play calling to go to someone else. There's going to be a lifetime of "what ifs" by the Ohio State Players and coaches.

What's the point in playing the game then if the better team is already determined? Also, VT beat OSU very early in the season, whereas MSU beat OSU late in the season. Timing is everything. OSU did not have the opportunity to rebound and PROVE they were the better team than MSU.

Yes, Ohio State is probably better than Michigan State, but the committee didn't get it "wrong" by putting MSU in the playoff over OSU. If that would have happened, then what's the point of having a season of games. They should just put the 4 teams ranked 1-4 in the preseason in the playoff.

Not sure what you're talking about.

What does the preseason have to do with anything ?

Yes, Ohio State is probably better than Michigan State, but the committee didn't get it "wrong" by putting MSU in the playoff over OSU. If that would have happened, then what's the point of having a season of games. They should just put the 4 teams ranked 1-4 in the preseason in the playoff.

It makes about as much sense as your thought that Ohio State should have been in the playoff over Michigan State. MSU and Ohio State both had 1 loss. MSU beat Ohio State in their house. MSU then went on and won another game and the Big Ten title. They had a better resume than Ohio State. There is no reason why the committee should have chosen Ohio State over MSU.

It makes about as much sense as your thought that Ohio State should have been in the playoff over Michigan State. MSU and Ohio State both had 1 loss. MSU beat Ohio State in their house. MSU then went on and won another game and the Big Ten title. They had a better resume than Ohio State. There is no reason why the committee should have chosen Ohio State over MSU.

The purpose of the committee is to put the 4 best teams in the country in the playoff.

Not only were the 4 best teams NOT in the playoff... but after watching Ohio State steamroll Michigan and Notre Dame... it should be argued that the best team in the country was not even in the playoff.

That is total failure.

My argument is not with you CH... it's the committee system. The committee is guaranteed to get it wrong... and that's exactly what happened. The system as it's set up now is no better than what we had before. Serious changes need to be made to the playoff system.

HP, I don't get how you can say the committee "got it wrong" by not including Ohio State. To me, they are supposed to choose the 4 teams with the best resume from the season. Ohio State wasn't one of those 4. Yes, they probably are one of the best 2 or 3 teams, but they didn't do well enough in the season to get one of the 4 playoff spots.