B1G bowl blowouts

As much as I hate Stanford being a Duck fan, I also REALLY appreciate them in what they do on offense.

Not trying to be a jerk, but how did you become such a Duck fan? Other than the Scott Frost ties, I don't get why someone who grew up in Central Nebraska is such a "huge Duck fan".

2001. I was a 6th grader.

NU got spanked by CU, and Then Oregon spanked CU....that's the long story short.

Fell in love with Oregon. It had nothing to do with Scott Frost. That just ended up being a cool thing.

Ok, I guess. To each their own.

The other thing. I don't feel like the powers in charge at NU are truly committed to a winning football program. I still love NU, but I am extremely soured by the fact that they don't have a midwest mentality. That they don't use the money they supposedly have tons of to go get the best coaches out there. Callahan, Pelini, and Riley were never good fits for their own reasons.
I will never sour on Nebraska. I may not like what the coaches are doing, but NU will always be my home state school and alma mater. I don't like any other football teams. I will have a game on, and my 9 year old son will ask, "who are you rooting for". I will generally say "I don't care". Because really, if it doesn't involve Nebraska, I really don't care who wins. There are exceptions (Clemson playing OU last night) but I will never have another college football team that I root for on a consistent basis. I'm just a Cornhusker.
  • Fire 4

As much as I hate Stanford being a Duck fan, I also REALLY appreciate them in what they do on offense.

Not trying to be a jerk, but how did you become such a Duck fan? Other than the Scott Frost ties, I don't get why someone who grew up in Central Nebraska is such a "huge Duck fan".

NU got spanked by CU, and Then Oregon spanked CU....that's the long story short.

Fell in love with Oregon. It had nothing to do with Scott Frost. That just ended up being a cool thing.

The other thing. I don't feel like the powers in charge at NU are truly committed to a winning football program. I still love NU, but I am extremely soured by the fact that they don't have a midwest mentality. That they don't use the money they supposedly have tons of to go get the best coaches out there. Callahan, Pelini, and Riley were never good fits for their own reasons.
I will never sour on Nebraska. I may not like what the coaches are doing, but NU will always be my home state school and alma mater. I don't like any other football teams. I will have a game on, and my 9 year old son will ask, "who are you rooting for". I will generally say "I don't care". Because really, if it doesn't involve Nebraska, I really don't care who wins. There are exceptions (Clemson playing OU last night) but I will never have another college football team that I root for on a consistent basis. I'm just a Cornhusker.

That's awesome. I didn't go to school at UNL. So I don't have any connection to the university except that I grew up in the center of the state

Nebraska - Pleasantly surprised at how physical they were on both sides of the ball which lead to a win no one saw coming.

MSU - I don't think MSU is quite as bad as they showed last night, nor is Alabama quite as good as they showed. MSU got waxed and one thing lead to another. That said, Alabama is just the better team. And NO ONE should want to play Nick Saban when he has a month to prepare.

NW - I have honestly struggled to find a reason why they have been ranked so high this year. The more I watched them the more I felt they weren't more than an average NW team and today, they go EXPOSED! It was too easy.

Iowa - While big, disciplined, and make big plays at the right time, they played virtually no one. It took 4 bad ints and all that goes with it to beat a lowly Nebraska team. I an NOT surprised by this result either. Well, I didn't expect 35-0 in the 2nd quarter, but not surprised to see them exposed.

Michigan - I don't want to admit that this is the beginning of something big in Ann Arbor, but it is.

Unfortunately, the more I watch the more convinced that NU football is dead as we want to know it. We ARE a middle of the pack, fledgling program and I don't know if NU has the distinctive competencies to get back on top right now. I SOOOOOOOO want to be wrong!

Dave Pollack (sp) today on ESPN specifically mentioned UF and Michigan as programs who stunk, went out and hired top tier coaches and you are seeing the results (I know UF got annihilated by UM), but some first year HC's have had great luck with the talent on hand....I hope we get it turned around prir to Riley retiring and starting over. Again.....

I understand. I don't have faith that NU has, or will/can get a top name coach. I hope MR makes me eat crow every year until he retires/dies. I will do it with a smile on my face.

That's awesome. I didn't go to school at UNL. So I don't have any connection to the university except that I grew up in the center of the state
I also realize it's a lot easier to be a fan of another program when NU has struggled over the past 15 years. My nephews who all live in Omaha aren't huge Husker fans as me and my brothers were, as we grew up in the 70s and 80s.

i said before the games, MSU and Iowa had no business playing in big bowl games, they both are far from being special teams.........

MSU and Iowa were realistically the 3rd and 4th best teams in the B1G this year. MSU beat Michigan on the biggest fluke play I have ever seen, and Iowa avoided the top teams in the B1G East. Yes, MSU beat Ohio State in Columbus, but that maybe happens 2 or 3 times out of 10 games.
  • Fire 2

i said before the games, MSU and Iowa had no business playing in big bowl games, they both are far from being special teams.........

MSU and Iowa were realistically the 3rd and 4th best teams in the B1G this year. MSU beat Michigan on the biggest fluke play I have ever seen, and Iowa avoided the top teams in the B1G East. Yes, MSU beat Ohio State in Columbus, but that maybe happens 2 or 3 times out of 10 games.

Yep and that was the game Elliot had like 10 carries or whatever. Then after that OSU got smart and started feeding him the ball.

How many of us thought we would beat UCLA? Riley & Co. Studied the way Stanford beat UCLA and played likewise. Since Riley is known to win games he shouldn't perhaps we WOULD have beat Stanford. Alabama-no. They're just that good ( even though it's odd they keep getting beat by the same team two years in a row!?)

I've been a Nebraska fan since 1981 and I grew up and still live in southern Oregon. Neither Oregon nor Oregon State were good at football at the time and I chose Nebraska for reasons that I'm still not totally aware of. Stuff happens inexplicably sometimes :)

Nebraska - Pleasantly surprised at how physical they were on both sides of the ball which lead to a win no one saw coming.

MSU - I don't think MSU is quite as bad as they showed last night, nor is Alabama quite as good as they showed. MSU got waxed and one thing lead to another. That said, Alabama is just the better team. And NO ONE should want to play Nick Saban when he has a month to prepare.

NW - I have honestly struggled to find a reason why they have been ranked so high this year. The more I watched them the more I felt they weren't more than an average NW team and today, they go EXPOSED! It was too easy.

Iowa - While big, disciplined, and make big plays at the right time, they played virtually no one. It took 4 bad ints and all that goes with it to beat a lowly Nebraska team. I an NOT surprised by this result either. Well, I didn't expect 35-0 in the 2nd quarter, but not surprised to see them exposed.

Michigan - I don't want to admit that this is the beginning of something big in Ann Arbor, but it is.

Unfortunately, the more I watch the more convinced that NU football is dead as we want to know it. We ARE a middle of the pack, fledgling program and I don't know if NU has the distinctive competencies to get back on top right now. I SOOOOOOOO want to be wrong!

Didn't Saban have a month to prepare last year getting ready for Ohio State?

What about when Utah steamrolled them in 2008?

Oklahoma in 2013?

I didn't say a Saban team couldn't be beat. One of those game you mentioned was an Urban Meyer team who you sits with Nick Saban as #1 and #1a with the title "Best College football coach".

Sabans 3 (perhaps going to 4) National TItles since 2009 shows some of what I am trying to say.

And did you have anything to mention about the rest of the teams I mentioned?

Kyle Whittingham was the coach for Utah when they beat Alabama in 2008. Urban was at UF in '08 and beat Alabama in the SEC CCG and they went on to beat OU for the MNC.

The OU game was when Bama got beat by Auburn in the 'Kick 6' game earlier in the year. As much as I loathe defending Alabama, they just flat out didn't show up mentally and Trevor Knight shredded their defense. I'd be really curious to know what Saban's bowl record is in non-championship games since he's been at Bama. They really seem to have a 'championship or bust' mentality when it comes to the postseason...unless they're playing MSU. They've clobbered MSU the past two bowl games.

• Fire 1

As for the topic on hand, I would want no part of Stanford or 'Bama but I do think that Nebraska could hang around if not beat UT. I know we've beat up on HC MR quite a bit in regards to his coaching but MR looks like TO combined with Barry Switzer compared to Butch freaking Jones. Seriously, he's probably cost UT 2-3 games this year with his boneheadedness.

How many of us thought we would beat UCLA? Riley & Co. Studied the way Stanford beat UCLA and played likewise. Since Riley is known to win games he shouldn't perhaps we WOULD have beat Stanford. Alabama-no. They're just that good ( even though it's odd they keep getting beat by the same team two years in a row!?)

I thought we had a good chance of beating UCLA. I thought the fans who thought we would get blown out watched a different season than I did. I don't think Stanford would destroy us but Alabama/Clemson/Ohio State probably would.

I thought we had a good chance of beating UCLA. I thought the fans who thought we would get blown out watched a different season than I did. I don't think Stanford would destroy us but Alabama/Clemson/Ohio State probably would.

I think those 3 you just listed are probably the best 3 teams this year. Stanford is probably 4, and a healthy Oregon is probably not very far behind (up for debate)

I think those 3 you just listed are probably the best 3 teams this year. Stanford is probably 4, and a healthy Oregon is probably not very far behind (up for debate)

Not sure what it is about this team. We would and have lost to most top 30 teams but we wouldn't get blown out by many of them.