B1G bowl blowouts

Didn't all of Solich's teams have the fumble bug too?

I swear NU has always been a team that turns the ball over, a lot.

I'd be curious to see those stats as well. The only stats I could find were TO margin from 2008 to present. NU has been on the negative side of TO margin every year with the exception of 2009 (probably not a shocker there). I'll see if I can find some older stats. I seem to remember one year when NU had Alexander and Dahrran Diedrick @ RBs that every other carry seemed to turn into a fumble...especially with Alexander. I just figured it was because the dude's biceps were too big.

Osborne's teams seemed to fumble a lot iirc, but many times we recovered our own fumbles. When you run it 50+ times a game you're probably going to see a few more fumbles than a team runs it 30 times a game.

And running a pitch heavy option attack

I always thought conference allegiance was kind of an odd thing. I could care less as long as Nebraska wins. But I suppose for bragging purposes it is nice sometimes.

Two thirds of our games are from within the conference. I think when the conference is or appears strong, it is good for the national rankings. High national rankings are good for recruiting, recruiting is good for Nebraska. The SEC has had a feast on having or at least the perception of a strong conference. Oh, and your right.... bragging rights are nice.

I also don't get why we should root for our conference teams. If they do better, they become more attractive to recruits, and that takes talent away from NU and make them better in the future. I know the saying is "if you want to be the best, you have to beat the best" (thanks, Ric Flair) but honestly I want NU to get as many wins as possible each year, even if it means a weaker schedule.

Yeah, I don't understand the conference loyalty thing either. That being said, It does make sense for teams from non Power 5 conferences to root for their fellow conference members when it benefits them. Now, I have no idea what the bowl shares look like but I'm sure when Boise State and Utah where making BCS games it helped out teams from the MWC. That extra money can come in real handy if you don't have a big cash cow football team that can cram in 50k plus for home games.

I also don't get why we should root for our conference teams. If they do better, they become more attractive to recruits, and that takes talent away from NU and make them better in the future. I know the saying is "if you want to be the best, you have to beat the best" (thanks, Ric Flair) but honestly I want NU to get as many wins as possible each year, even if it means a weaker schedule.

I want as many wins as possible as well. However, unless we are playing a reasonably strong schedule, it would fee like getting a participation trophy for me. Never been a big fan of that. I think the perception for Iowa this year was that they were pretenders based on their weak schedule, and I would not want that for our team. Of course on the other side of things, W's can get to places like a conference championship irregardless of perceptions.

I want as many wins as possible as well. However, unless we are playing a reasonably strong schedule, it would fee like getting a participation trophy for me. Never been a big fan of that. I think the perception for Iowa this year was that they were pretenders based on their weak schedule, and I would not want that for our team. Of course on the other side of things, W's can get to places like a conference championship irregardless of perceptions.

True, but what good is that when teams are great all season (because of a weak schedule) and take a beating on national television? I'm not sure how that could help your recruiting?

Ok, I've worded my post poorly. I would rather have Nebraska have more talent than their opponent, and if that means my opponents struggling in bowl games which in turn forces them to struggle in recruiting, then so be it. I just don't get the feeling why I would want my opponents to "get better". If they are getting better, the more likely they are to beat me, and I don't want that.

True, but what good is that when teams are great all season (because of a weak schedule) and take a beating on national television? I'm not sure how that could help your recruiting?

Agreed! In my closing sentence, I was trying to recognize there are other opinions on this to be respectful. I hate the toxic atmosphere that seems to happen on the board when posters take the line in sand approach to conversation, so I "try" to avoid being one of those people if I can.

Edit: I need to clarify that I was not calling anyone out.

The SEC is the only conf to slot its bowl based on match ups. Tenn was a bad match up for NW. Florida vs NW and Tenn vs Mich would have been better but the B1G likely goes 2-0 vs SEC which they don't want.

Iowa just laid an egg which and is not the first B1G to struggle in the Rose Bowl. They benefited from a pretty weak schedule this year. Mich St got lucky with two wins and had a bad loss. Somehow the committee leap frogged them over OU to face Bama, whose stout D-line is a terrible match up for Mich State. OU vs Bama in Dallas was potentially bad for Bama so they leapfrogged MSU to play Bama instead. I don't think MSU would beat Clemson but they could have given them fits and who knows how the game goes.

Also keep in mind that the number of NY6 teams affects all the parings down the line. It likely would not have affected the MSU & Iowa blow outs but the PAC only had 1 team in NY6, SEC 2 and B1G 3. If SEC had 3 and B1G had 2 the B1G would have 2 cakewalks over the SEC in the Citrus (Ohio State vs Tenn), Outback (Mich vs UGa) and a good chance in the Gator (Wisc/NW vs Ark/Miss State).

• Fire 3

2012 & 2013 Alabama MNC are a joke. LSU & Notre Dame should not have been in those title games. My feelings are if the current system was in place for those games they would be lucky to win one of the two championships.

I'll agree about the rematch but ND was undefeated that season. I don't see how anyone could argue that another team should have been substituted in their place. They belonged more than any one-loss team and the short list of those included Alabama that season. Ohio State was also undefeated but on probation. Oregon's one loss was to Stanford, a team Notre Dame defeated that season.

2012 & 2013 Alabama MNC are a joke. LSU & Notre Dame should not have been in those title games. My feelings are if the current system was in place for those games they would be lucky to win one of the two championships.

Wait, LSU shouldn't have been in the title game? Surely you mean Alabama shouldn't have been in the title game, right?

That 2011 LSU squad was unbelievable.

Per end of season rankings, they beat the #1, #4, #5, #17, and #20 teams in the country that year. By a combined score of 179-81.

They also beat the winners of the Rose Bowl, Orange Bowl, Cotton Bowl and National Championship.