B1G bowl blowouts

As its the off season and NU handled our business, what are y'alls thoughts on Iowa (currently), MSU and NW getting annihilated in their bowl games.

NU, Wisky, Michigan and OSU held up their end and represented the B1G well.

Looking at NU's W-L record, would we have done any better against Stanford, Bama or UT?

IMO, using the eyeball test, NU has a long way to go. In regards to both talent, scheme and coaching. Saw that when Bama brought out their 2nd string O they had 8 former ESPN 300 ranked athletes.

Bama has incredible depth and little drop off. The announcers talked about their DL being the leaders of the team. They set the tone. Held guys accountable ON and OFF the field. Said they were respected AND FEARED by the rest of the team. Reminds me of another team that had that reputation......Peter bros, and Wistrom.....

UT has speed for days.

Stanford- Great system and identity. Plays to the strengths of their players. Solid technique and fundamentally sound.

I think that a mobile QB in TA would be a difference making in at least making the above games respectable. Our run D would be tested, but I think would hold up and would come down to how our DB's did against the pass. If I am honest, we lose all 3, but keep it much closer than the current games.....

Thoughts?

• Fire 2

I think that a mobile QB in TA would be a difference making in at least making the above games respectable. Our run D would be tested, but I think would hold up and would come down to how our DB's did against the pass. If I am honest, we lose all 3, but keep it much closer than the current games.....

Thoughts?

We might be in trouble then. :facepalm:

NU has a long way to go. In regards to both talent, scheme and coaching.

Stanford- Great system and identity. Plays to the strengths of their players. Solid technique and fundamentally sound.

When you watch these games with the Top 5 teams in the country it is very easy to see that Nebraska does have a way to go, before we are back in the discussion of being one of the best teams.

With that said, I do believe we are on our way.

Stanford is the model for Nebraska folks.

• Power Football - Multiple ways of running the ball.
  • Big, nasty offensive line
  • Tight ends.
  • Fullbacks - They still work. They can create an extra gap anywhere on the line of scrimmage. (See: Janovich, Mackovicka, Schlesinger, Davies)
  • Passing game built on play-action downfield.

Nebraska needs to take the Stanford model, run with it and build off it, BUT ALSO INCLUDE the read-option, speed option, inverted veer game.This would make Nebraska one tough offense in the Big Ten.

• Fire 6

We would have likely been sh#t on Alabama and Stanford. My girlfriend is a huge Iowa fan and she was complaining about how Iowa should have been in the CFBPO instead of Sparty because they would have put up better numbers against Bama. She is dillusional, and so are all of you who think we can even compare to the calaber of football being played at that level.

Maybe I'm being negative, but we aren't playing dominating football.

• Fire 1

NU has a long way to go. In regards to both talent, scheme and coaching.

When you watch these games with the Top 5 teams in the country it is very easy to see that Nebraska does have a way to go, before we are back in the discussion of being one of the best teams.

With that said, I do believe we are on our way.

Stanford is the model for Nebraska folks.

• Power Football - Multiple ways of running the ball.
  • Big, nasty offensive line
  • Tight ends.
  • Fullbacks - They still work. They can create an extra gap anywhere on the line of scrimmage. (See: Janovich, Mackovicka, Schlesinger, Davies)
  • Passing game built on play-action downfield.

Nebraska needs to take the Stanford model, run with it and build off it, BUT ALSO INCLUDE the read-option, speed option, inverted veer game.This would make Nebraska one tough offense in the Big Ten.

I couldn't agree more. Take what Riley wants i.e. a passing game coupled with what works IMO (strong running game) and make it happen. Stanford's O is a well oiled machine. Plenty of weapons from RB, FB, receivers and TE to an OL that can pass pro and run block and have the quicks to pull and get out front.

We would have likely been sh#t on Alabama and Stanford. My girlfriend is a huge Iowa fan and she was complaining about how Iowa should have been in the CFBPO instead of Sparty because they would have put up better numbers against Bama. She is dillusional, and so are all of you who think we can even compare to the calaber of football being played at that level.

Maybe I'm being negative, but we aren't playing dominating football.

No. You are being a realistic fan. A good program doesn't lose to Purdue. EVER.

I still think we would lose all 3, but can't help but think we would play much closer than either Iowa, NW or MSU. One thing I will give Riley and Langs credit for is we are not a one dimensional offense. We have only been limited by play calling.

I think you hit on it with the recruiting aspect. Sure, any potential talent must not only be developed, but also be part of a workable system for players to flourish. Alabama does both. They keep giving players to the NFL and then reloading. We are so far from that it is ridiculous. I think the next true national powerhouse is Michigan. Harbaugh will recruit the best in the nation while pushing OSU for the blue chip talent in the B1G. We are a 6-7 team with a coach that I for one do not trust yet. Here is to him proving me wrong.

Nebraska - Pleasantly surprised at how physical they were on both sides of the ball which lead to a win no one saw coming.

MSU - I don't think MSU is quite as bad as they showed last night, nor is Alabama quite as good as they showed. MSU got waxed and one thing lead to another. That said, Alabama is just the better team. And NO ONE should want to play Nick Saban when he has a month to prepare.

NW - I have honestly struggled to find a reason why they have been ranked so high this year. The more I watched them the more I felt they weren't more than an average NW team and today, they go EXPOSED! It was too easy.

Iowa - While big, disciplined, and make big plays at the right time, they played virtually no one. It took 4 bad ints and all that goes with it to beat a lowly Nebraska team. I an NOT surprised by this result either. Well, I didn't expect 35-0 in the 2nd quarter, but not surprised to see them exposed.

Michigan - I don't want to admit that this is the beginning of something big in Ann Arbor, but it is.

Unfortunately, the more I watch the more convinced that NU football is dead as we want to know it. We ARE a middle of the pack, fledgling program and I don't know if NU has the distinctive competencies to get back on top right now. I SOOOOOOOO want to be wrong!