Byron Bennett's life after the infamous miss

NUance

Great article - perhaps one of Dirk's best. The game was the last time I felt like putting my foot through the TV. The next year removed all of those demons. As others noted, the field goal was not the reason we lost. Just like the 2009 Texas Big 12 CCG, a poorly executed kick off, defensive penalty placed Texas in the position to get a field goal and 1 second. That explains loosing at the end. I've always thought Bennett was placed in a difficult situation - an emotional roller coaster in that last 1:16. We all know the real reason for the loss was the blown calls by the refs earlier in the game.

That game was such a roller coaster ride of emotions for me. Not once after the kick was missed did I ever think of blaming the loss on Bennett. The opportunity to even have the kick was luck and it just wasn't meant to be. I also agree with Ellis. That miss was actually GOOD for the program.

I don't understand people hating on kickers for losing games. Field goals are what happens when your team fails to score td's, and you always know that even the close field goals aren't guaranteed. And I say this having grown up a Bills fan, lol. Always felt terrible for that kicker.

A decent percentage are foreigners, which further promotes that since they aren't "like us".

Maybe 20 years ago this was true, but I quickly count 2 out of 32 NFL kickers that were born outside the US. And one of them likes to drink and has a beer belly, which is about as 'Murican as can be.