Will NU return to National Dominance again - next 10-15 years

TGHusker

Will NU return to "Albama"s standard during the next 10 - 15 years?  

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm pretty sure they allowed 405 yards passing against them and a 145 yards rushing for over 500 yards total offense. Doesn't sound like the dominant Husker teams back then.

Football was a lot different 20 years ago, and Nebraska never went up against a weapon like Deshaun Watson.

He said no team will ever be on the level of the Huskers from 93-98 as far as level of stockpiled talent. I disagree with that, because Alabama's roster has no real weak spots. It's elite player behind elite player behind elite player.

Even if the talent level wasn't the argument, this Alabama team won a national championship. That's already on a higher level than 93, 96, and 98 Nebraska.

I don't understand why people keep mentioning OSU. They're good, obviously, but they've won one national championship in the past 10 years. I know they had another undefeated season but I still wouldn't say they're comparable. I guess an argument could be made that they're the 2nd best "dynasty" of the last 10 years?

I'm pretty sure they allowed 405 yards passing against them and a 145 yards rushing for over 500 yards total offense. Doesn't sound like the dominant Husker teams back then.

Football was a lot different 20 years ago, and Nebraska never went up against a weapon like Deshaun Watson.

He said no team will ever be on the level of the Huskers from 93-98 as far as level of stockpiled talent. I disagree with that, because Alabama's roster has no real weak spots. It's elite player behind elite player behind elite player.

Even if the talent level wasn't the argument, this Alabama team won a national championship. That's already on a higher level than 93, 96, and 98 Nebraska.

uhmmmm, Charlie ward and Kordell Stewart are certainly comparable to Watson and other QBs today.

I also don't really buy the argument that football is that much different today than 20 years ago.

• Fire 1

Kordell's senior season he went for 2071 yards passing, 62%, 10 TD, and 3 INT, passer rating of 146.8 with 639 yards rushing, 5.2ypc and 7 TDs

Charlie's senior season he went for 3032 yards passing, 69%, 27 TD, 4 INT, passer rating of 157.8 with 339 yards rushing, 5.2ypc and 4 TDs

Deshaun's sophomore season he went for 4109 yards passing, 67.8%, 35 TD, 13 INT, passer rating of 156.3 with 1105 yards rushing, 5.3ypc and 12 TDs

That's over 4 more games so the quantitative numbers are obviously going to be higher, but it's still really not comparable imo. Maybe those two would have been comparable if they were featured in the same kind of quarterback dependent system, but they weren't used that way. Regardless, the point is, this Alabama team was elite. Even giving up a lot of yards in the championship game, they finished the season ranked 3rd in total defense and 3rd in scoring defense.

Kordell's senior season he went for 2071 yards passing, 62%, 10 TD, and 3 INT, passer rating of 146.8 with 639 yards rushing, 5.2ypc and 7 TDs

Charlie's senior season he went for 3032 yards passing, 69%, 27 TD, 4 INT, passer rating of 157.8 with 339 yards rushing, 5.2ypc and 4 TDs

Deshaun's sophomore season he went for 4109 yards passing, 67.8%, 35 TD, 13 INT, passer rating of 156.3 with 1105 yards rushing, 5.3ypc and 12 TDs

That's over 4 more games so the quantitative numbers are obviously going to be higher, but it's still really not comparable imo. Maybe those two would have been comparable if they were featured in the same kind of quarterback dependent system, but they weren't used that way. Regardless, the point is, this Alabama team was elite. Even giving up a lot of yards in the championship game, they finished the season ranked 3rd in total defense and 3rd in scoring defense.

To be fair, those are completely different offensive systems (pro style vs spread), and Watson played 2 more games and approximately 10 - 15 more snaps a game too.

To be fair, those are completely different offensive systems (pro style vs spread), and Watson played 2 more games and approximately 10 - 15 more snaps a game too.

Hence, the game has changed in the last two decades.

I'm not even sure where the argument lies. We've always had difficulties with QBs similar to Watson. Charlie Ward beat us. Corby Jones all but ended our NC run in 97'. Darian Hagan caused us more than a few problems.

I'm not even sure where the argument lies. We've always had difficulties with QBs similar to Watson. Charlie Ward beat us. Corby Jones all but ended our NC run in 97'. Darian Hagan caused us more than a few problems.

They cause everyone problems... which is why I'm baffled by any Husker fan's desire to move away from a mobile QB threat.

That's over 4 more games so the quantitative numbers are obviously going to be higher, but it's still really not comparable imo. Maybe those two would have been comparable if they were featured in the same kind of quarterback dependent system, but they weren't used that way.

YEAH I MEAN I PRETTY MUCH SAID THAT TOO

They cause everyone problems... which is why I'm baffled by any Husker fan's desire to move away from a mobile QB threat.

The argument was whether or not Bama is elite because Clemson put quite a few yards on them. I don't think Husker fans want to move away from a mobile QB. I'm sure most/all would be happy with a QB like Watson that can run and also complete nearly 68% of his passes. It's the mobile QB that completes only half of his passes that most fans want to move away from.

One of the biggest similarities between our run in the 90's and Bama of today is neither team is/was QB centric. Bama has won four NCs in the past seven years without a single World beater at QB. They have had game managers who didn't turn the ball over. It's pretty similar to us when we took walk-on Turman down to Manhattan. We really didn't have to rely on elite QB play until Crouch came along. More than likely, we wouldn't have had to with Crouch if we would have had better RB play.

Wait wait wait, so Frazier wasn't an elite QB? In my opinion, he's one of the greatest pure option runners that has played, and his performance was integral to each championship run.

And those years that NU struggled in the late 80s and early 90s wasn't due, in large part, to average QB play?

How integral was it to the 94' NC? Frazier didn't even play most of the season. Had Berringer in the NC game not thrown the INT as we were about to score, Frazier more than likely wouldn't have seen the field the rest of the game. It was the OL and the defense that did the heavy lifting in that game.

In terms of the struggles in the late 80s and early 90s, I'd put a lot more emphasis on our defense than QB play. We severely lacked speed mostly in the secondary that caused epic struggles in the late 80s and early 90s. During that time period, it was Charlie McBride that was getting thrown under the bus rather than TO. From the 87' season to the 92' season in the bowl games, our defense gave up a combined 189 points. This is over 30 points per those games. Our defense in those games was giving up between 400-500 yards. QB play had very little to do with this.