qbs for next year

Please point out in the article where it says Beck is struggling.  Just because they want to bring in a couple more guys next year doesn't mean Beck is struggling.  It means we didn't get one this year so they have to pick one more next year instead.

I'm afraid I'm guilty of supporting that one. My concern wasn't just going on the article, but also what they have been saying on the local news. They have been putting up stats on the QB's, as well as the RB's, and it didn't look like Beck's were too great so far in this very young season.

Sorry for the confusion. ;)

Beck is struggling and not living up to the hype so far, whether some fans want to deny it or not. Hopefully he will get going.

Didnt you say the same thing about Congdon??

Lest we forget the kid is 18 years old still (AFAIK). His first year of college isn't done yet. This is his first spring.

He'll get there. He's got a good arm, good head on his shoulders and he's young. He'll get there.

Did I mention he'll get there?

The problem is, people buy into the hype too much. It's hard not to around this time of year because everything's new and people are just salivating for anyt kind of info. Either because they want to see someone do good, or they want a reason to shoot em down. I'll leave the deciphering up to you.

Beck needs to be all business to close QB gap

Lest we forget the kid is 18 years old still (AFAIK). His first year of college isn't done yet. This is his first spring.

He'll get there. He's got a good arm, good head on his shoulders and he's young. He'll get there.

Did I mention he'll get there?

The problem is, people buy into the hype too much. It's hard not to around this time of year because everything's new and people are just salivating for anyt kind of info. Either because they want to see someone do good, or they want a reason to shoot em down. I'll leave the deciphering up to you.

Beck needs to be all business to close QB gap

Wrong, he is supposed to be starting right now. If you have 4 stars or more coming out of high school you have to start your first year or you are a bust. In fact, I think we should start kicking guys off the team that don't produce in their first year, that way we can make room for guys that will.

:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm

Exactly DaveH. Like i said before it takes QB's years to understand the WCO and just because he doesnt have it down YET doesnt mean he wont in the future.....it's good to see other people havent given up on Beck yet either...I personally think he'll be a hell of a quarterback when he gets the chance.....

But man am I glad we have Zac!!!

:restore2

What exactly was all the hype to begin with? We knew he had a strong arm and plenty of confidence but I don't remember anyone saying much of anything about his ability to take the reins of a program in transition and set the world on fire.

True he made some mistakes last season, but Taylor surely made more...anyone remember the Pitt game? The first series of the 2nd half vs. OU? 2nd Qtr. of the Alamo Bowl?

If what the coaches have said is true about the fall practices being totally devoted to game preparation, then this spring is his first opportunity to really sit and learn the offense and then try to utilize what he's learned on the field.

Give the kid some time, a handful of series out of an entire season doesn't make a qb experienced.

and that sounds exactly like what cally is trying to do.....get this kid to settle down and find some comfort behind the center......he knows Taylor will be fine, just need to sharpen his timing later this summer and early in the fall......he is the real deal.......Beck is still a work in progress, and the more work he gets the better he will be.....however he does need to show some poise.....it is time for him to make some strides; Taylor somehow came in with that cool head attitude, really holds the ball and looks for the 3rd or 4th guy in the route.....Beck will have to learn how to do that.....as things slow down for Beck and he gains better field vision

hunter

IMO, he will get good reps this year and the transition from 06-07 will be a smooth one.

Has anyone given any thought to Beck redshirting this year? I'm kinda of the opinion that we use Beck the same way we used him last year. We only bring him in if we need him to win the game.

I totally agreed with bringing him in against K State, and if the same situation comes up again this year, we should do it again.

I look at this year's schedule and I don't see a lot of opportunity for playing time. We probably will only have 3-4 games that aren't 4 qtr games. I guess I would rather see Beck for an entire 2009 season than mop-up duty in 2006.

I especially think this might be a good idea since we didn't pick up a QB this year. With Beck for an extra year, we'll have more time to develop the QB(s) we sign this year.

I do think getting some more real game experience for Beck is important, and 2007 would probably suffer without a QB with experience. But I think NCs in this offense are going to be won with 5th year seniors at QB.

The Gimp has sopken.

It depends on how the season goes. However, at this point I would hope that he could get some meaningful snaps this year. Again, it depends on how the seasons goes.

You have a good point about the 5th year QB. It would definitely help here.

i just don't think holding him back is an option anymore.........this kid is supposed to have some skills and he needs to get in as many games and have as much playing time as he can to get ready for 2007.....he will have to play then and he needs to get ready now.......no more excuses for him, get him in when we can and get him prepared for 2007......now

hunter

i just don't think holding him back is an option anymore.........this kid is supposed to have some skills and he needs to get in as many games and have as much playing time as he can to get ready for 2007.....he will have to play then and he needs to get ready now.......no more excuses for him, get him in when we can and get him prepared for 2007......now

hunter

well that responsibility rests on the number one offense. they have to put opponents away quickly so we can give the 2's more playing time. the defense has to help out as well. as soon as our number 1 offense and defense step it up into "dominant" status it will be much easier for us as fans to breath easy and get the backups some gametime experience.

I was just reading on a rivals100 board that the Texarkana High QB Mallett just narrowed his two schools to Texas (big shocker!) and Michigan. I could of sworn that he had NU as one of his favorites, didn't he? What is the fascination with Michigan? They are on TV all of the time, but that is just about it. What happened?

Could it be that some of these kids are just afraid to have to learn the wco and that they want to see some playing time right away, they won't get that playing time here their first year. Just a thought.

GBR!!!