Quality Control Assistant

Is there any bigger nepotism racket than coaching a sport?

Please show how riley hiring this guy as a GA is nepotism.

Are they related or something?

He is using the term in a broad sense...Riley and Haseltts are buddies so there is the link. True nepotism, no, but clearly it is a sweet hook up and one that goes on in coaching all the time. I don't think he (or me) mean it in a bad way, it is just how it is in coaching as it is in many many areas of work.

It is not what you know...it is who you know!

Everyone hires people they know. Even the great savior Scott Frost hired people he knows from his days at Nebraska.

My comment wasn't taking a shot at Riley. It was just a broad sense of the sports world in that people will say "Well, this Haslett kid could be a good coach, his dad was a defensive coordinator and head coach in the NFL for a long time." I have never been asked in a job interview "How did your father's success prepare you for this job." My comment was just general commentary. I know there are people that have generations of lawyers or doctors or other professionals, but sports coaching takes it to another step IMO.

There are lots of jobs where someone that grows up around it very well could have a better understanding of the job at the entry level.

Anyway...it's no big deal. I just roll my eyes when people complain about hiring buddies or nepotism in coaching.

Do people not know what graduate assistants are?

GA's don't get paid, instead they get a scholarship to take graduate classes at that school in order to work towards an advanced degree.

For that scholarship they put in 60 hours (or more) a week working for the coaching staff.

GA's are effectively grad students who are getting an internship for college level coaching.So of course most GA's are coaches kids or former players.. those are the people most likely trying to get into coaching.

It looks like he was hired as a Quality Control Asst, not as a Grad Asst so he will get a paycheck. If this is true it is a pretty crappy hire.

Please tell me who you would hire as a QCA? Please be specific with names. And why their abilities are better than this guys.

Oh and I will start it off.

Jim Tressel

Jon Gruden

Now you go.

I'm pretty sure this is the first position Zac Taylor got out of college at A&M. Of course he was hired by his future father in law (nepotism ;) ). I also read that his brother currently holds this position for the Eagles.

Is Quality Control Assistant what the lady for the Bills was just hired on to do?

This is a behind the scenes position and if you are bent out of shape over this hire you really need to get a hobby.

Is this the position that Tim Marlowe did under Pelini (nepotism ;) ).

• 3 months later...