Rank our last 4 coaches

Redder

Overall "Head Coach"

1. Riley 2. Bill Callahan 3. Frank Solich 4. Bo Pelini

I didn't have time to finish before the posting above was made but:

As a recruiter to Nebraska:

1. Bill Callahan 2. Bo Pelini 3. M. Riley (assuming he lands a 'good' class in the top 25 as it now appears this year) 4 Frank Solich (he was an awful recruiter - period).

As a 'Game" Strategist/Play calling:

1. M. Riley 2. Bo Pelini 3. B. Callahan (he was superb in the last two minutes of each half but otherwise 'mediocre at best'. 4. Frank Solich (he had about 6 plays (QB run right and left and IB run right and left and QB scramble and QB throw it to one of two receivers sent down field.

As a public representative of the team and University and State of Nebraska:

1. Solich 2. Riley 3. Callahan 4. Pelini (he was of course awful).

As a 'CEO" or Manager of Staff and Players as members of the team:

1. Riley (based on what we've seen so far of course). 2. Callahan (he is an NFL type and should avoid college altogether). 3. Pelini (just not a CEO type person - lacks the personality to be a good head coach obviously). 4. Solich (he fired so excellent coaches trying to blame them for his failings as a recruiter).

I couldn't disagree more with MR at #1 for "Game" Strategist/Play calling". That is laughable. Illinois, Wisconsin, Purdue losses could all squarely be blamed for poor game strategy and poor play calling.

Pelini barely know the offense and hardly called any plays as far we ever saw so obviously he didn't demonstrate much ability there. Callahan was a two minute offense guy (the NFL lives off this approach). Solich was mediocre play caller - he ran the ball with outstanding offensive lines and strong runners. He was "average" strategist. Mike Riley demonstrated the ability to throw with good play calling and or run the ball similarly. Did our team do it all year? Heck No but he demonstrated this although in fairness we do know his O.C. was calling his plays. they have worked together many years.

When Frank Solich supposedly gave up the play calling responsibilities in the last season he was the HC, he put Barney Cotton in charge. However, this was purely for public consumption and Frank continued call the plays until the bitter end. I personally know this because of a mutual friend and neighbor of Cotton who explained the last season like this when Barney said: "Oh, certainly I call the plays! Frank tells me what to call!"

Sanders

Brown

Wiliams

Bray

In no particular order. I figured I'd hijack the thread and throw out four assistants who have really done a lot for the Huskers under the last 4 coaches.

Ironically, 2 I think have done very well in a short period are guys under Reilly.......

But to the original OP

Frank

Bo

Mike

Cally

Frank should have been kept another year. Carl Crawford shows up, different story for Frank

Bo, had several chances to win the conference, but lost...... Then moved to the B1G and got destroyed (9 wins though...)

Reilly kept games very close and things started to improve towards the end of the season. Some upside after UCLA and comments from Jano, Gerry etc..

Cally- great quotes i.e. Burn the boats, restore the order etc... Just couldn't ever get it together....

If one throws enough crap against the wall, eventually some of it will stick. Considering Solich couldn't recruit, I find it ironic that he had more players drafted into the NFL in the first three rounds on an annual basis than either Clownahan or Bobo. You guys can cling to your Scout and Rivals rankings all you want. I'll stick with the results of how those recruited pan out. I can't give a coach credit when a five star plays like a two star.

If one throws enough crap against the wall, eventually some of it will stick. Considering Solich couldn't recruit, I find it ironic that he had more players drafted into the NFL in the first three rounds on an annual basis than either Clownahan or Bobo. You guys can cling to your Scout and Rivals rankings all you want. I'll stick with the results of how those recruited pan out. I can't give a coach credit when a five star plays like a two star.

Considering most of his players were recruited by Osborne that would not be a reach. However if you check out how many Callahan players got drafted, you would be amazed. What isnt surprizing is the number of Pelini players that did not get drafted.

Considering most of his players were recruited by Osborne that would not be a reach. However if you check out how many Callahan players got drafted, you would be amazed. What isnt surprizing is the number of Pelini players that did not get drafted.

As has been noted, Callahan inherited more top 3 round picks than Pelini did.

Those guys Callahan inherited certainly weren't recruited by Osborne.

You really need to go through the list player by player and see who recruited who. I think you'll be rather surprised. Heck, the 08' and 09' draft didn't include any Nebraska players in the top three rounds. Clownahan inherited more soon to be NFL talent from Solich than Solich inherited from TO. You are more than welcome to look it up for yourself

Name them inherited players Callahan got from Solich who were drafted, then go look at the players drafted from NU during the Bo years who were Callahan recruits

Name them inherited players Callahan got from Solich who were drafted, then go look at the players drafted from NU during the Bo years who were Callahan recruits

Top 3 Rounders Inherited by Callahan:

Washington (1)

Ruud (2)

Bullocks (2)

Incognito (3)

Bullocks (2)

Carriker (1)

Bradley (3)

Top 3 Rounders Inherited by Pelini:

Suh (1)

Amukamara (1)

Note that Pelini also had 5 of his recruits drafted in the top three rounds during the first drafts where his classes were eligible (so far... this year will add number 6 and 7, possibly).

And of course this is against the backdrop that Pelini manufactured a lot of production out of guys that were playing out of position or were lost on depth charts under Callahan. Maybe if Callahan could do the same, even more Solich kids would have had college award and NFL opportunities.