Huskers Considered Jerry Kill for Head Job

Mavric

Hate to say it, but personally, the health concerns would've kept me at bay as a future employer from a head coaching perspective.

I don't think it would have for me. Respectability and stability are both things he would've brought, and if you have to do it again in a few years, that's fine. Granted, he may not have been the best option still, but it doesn't totally cross him off the list. Given how things ultimately transpired, it may be for the best -- as Kill retired halfway into '15, right?

But I think you look at the traits they valued and it makes sense that guys like Kill and Riley would populate it. Long term, I think you stick to these values and keep going to guys like this. I'm sure at least a few of them will have some good success, and the causes for that may just be luck and timing. We're talking about sports victories, after all. But hopefully, a lot of solidly led and proud-to-call Nebraska teams in between the runs to greatness.

Cool story :)

I don't mean this to come off as harsh, particularly since someone in my family battles epilepsy, but there is nothing stabilizing about that disease (no pun intended, either). Kill suffered seizures on the sideline and even had to take a temporary leave of absence, prior to his retirement, because of the disease. I don't think that's a risk you necessarily want to take on a head coach - an assistant, perhaps. But, constant health concerns weighs on a team and a program, particularly if it is somebody who is supposed to be running the whole show.

He brings a lot of other great qualities to the table, though.