HOL: Rose-Ivey hopes bouts with adversity will give way to a big senior year

Saunders

It seems Michael Rose-Ivey was destined to be a football player. The first word to escape his lips was “touchdown” and his on-field instincts draw rave reviews from coaches and teammates alike.

But reaching that destiny has required sacrifice, first by his father, then by Rose-Ivey himself. The path to greatness is rarely a straight one, and Rose-Ivey’s road has been circuitous over the past couple of years.

He appeared headed for stardom after sliding into the starting lineup as a redshirt freshman at Nebraska in 2013 and setting the school record for tackles as a rookie. Then came a knee injury that ended his sophomore campaign, a suspension and a nagging groin that kept him at partial strength all last season.

Despite the missed time, Rose-Ivey has remained one of the faces of the program and one of its leaders. And with his final campaign approaching, Rose-Ivey wants to be sure his mark on the program will be felt well after he’s gone.

“As far as me as a senior, you always start thinking about legacy,” he said. “What have you done? Have you left the place better than you found it? I would want nothing more than to bring a Big Ten Championship home.

“It’s not just my own personal roller coaster, but the roller coaster here, just the ups and downs with teammates and the team in general, the coaches… it would be awesome to be able to do it. I’m really confident that we’ll have a really, really good chance.”

https://nebraska.n.rivals.com/news/rose-ivey-hopes-bouts-with-adversity-will-give-way-to-a-big-senior-year

• Fire 1

Rose-Ivey has tons of talent. Everyone who has seen him play knows it. But, man, he is cursed with the injury bug. Totally ruined his collegiate career.

This has been said about so many Huskers over the last few years. I really hope it was a S&C issue with the last staff & is something that Riley's staff can get shored up.

Our other hope is that it's a product of poor technique taught by coaches. Either way these are variables that can change.

One way or another, a low injury year would go a long way for the team.

Rose-Ivey has tons of talent. Everyone who has seen him play knows it. But, man, he is cursed with the injury bug. Totally ruined his collegiate career.

This has been said about so many Huskers over the last few years. I really hope it was a S&C issue with the last staff & is something that Riley's staff can get shored up.

Our other hope is that it's a product of poor technique taught by coaches. Either way these are variables that can change.

I dunno that Rose-Ivey's injuries are necessarily anyone's fault. Injuries happen. Some guys just seem more prone to injury is all. :dunno:

I dunno that Rose-Ivey's injuries are necessarily anyone's fault. Injuries happen. Some guys just seem more prone to injury is all. :dunno:

Oh I agree. I was stating that we can hope that it's something that can change. There are a lot of variables that can go into an injury...those are just the ones that other people can change.

Thanks for posting the link. I sent it over to a fellow Husker friend in the KC area so he'd know the background between Sr. and Jr. and the history. My friend was rocking his Husker garb when he went in to renew one of his insurance policies a couple years ago and the agent he met with was Sr. He said they had fun chatting about the Huskers and now he has more he wants to talk to him about the next time he goes into their office.