Fightin' Erstads @ College of Charleston

Does anyone else think for the type of hype Ryan is getting that he might be a little overrated??

The guy had one bad series. It's a bit of a small sample size to say he's gonna suck this year and he's overrated.

Never once did I say he sucked. Just saying for a guy who only had 10 extra base hits all of last year doesn't exactly scream 1st or even 2nd round talent

Does anyone else think for the type of hype Ryan is getting that he might be a little overrated??

The guy had one bad series. It's a bit of a small sample size to say he's gonna suck this year and he's overrated.

Never once did I say he sucked. Just saying for a guy who only had 10 extra base hits all of last year doesn't exactly scream 1st or even 2nd round talent

Did someone say he was 1st or 2nd round talent? Serious question.

He was drafted out of HS in the 22nd. Not sure where he would be today.

I think Boldt was rated among the top 100 draft eligible players in the preseason by some publications.

Regarding his extra base hits last season, didn't Boldt hit leadoff most season? He was probably asked to get on base, and sacrifice some power for contact hitting. This year, as a #2 hitter, he will be able to go for more power. It will be interesting to see how Erstad taking control of the offense has an impact on Boldt.

I think Boldt was rated among the top 100 draft eligible players in the preseason by some publications.

Regarding his extra base hits last season, didn't Boldt hit leadoff most season? He was probably asked to get on base, and sacrifice some power for contact hitting. This year, as a #2 hitter, he will be able to go for more power. It will be interesting to see how Erstad taking control of the offense has an impact on Boldt.

The only thing a leadoff hitter is going to do is take more pitches. It's not necessarily going to change his swing from going the 1 to the 2 spot.

The only thing a leadoff hitter is going to do is take more pitches. It's not necessarily going to change his swing from going the 1 to the 2 spot.

I disagree. The leadoff guy is asked to get on base no matter what, while the 2nd hole hitter is asked to more at the plate. This includes taking pitches to allow a base runner to steal, moving runners over, hit and runs, hitting for power, etc.

• Fire 1

The fact is, despite only having "10 extra base hits" as the leadoff hitter, baseballamerica.com named him the #13 overall draft eligible prospect. I don't think he gets that kind of ranking if they were concerned that he was only hitting singles every game.

Plus, 3 games into a season is a bit early say the attention he received in the pre-season is overrated.

The fact is, despite only having "10 extra base hits" as the leadoff hitter, baseballamerica.com named him the #13 overall draft eligible prospect. I don't think he gets that kind of ranking if they were concerned that he was only hitting singles every game.

Plus, 3 games into a season is a bit early say the attention he received in the pre-season is overrated.

He had a bad weekend, I'm sure he will turn it around. Need to happen fast though

I'm not talking through three games I'm talking throughout a career. Don't get me wrong Ryan is a very nice player I just don't see top 15 draft eligible college prospect

I disagree. The leadoff guy is asked to get on base no matter what, while the 2nd hole hitter is asked to more at the plate. This includes taking pitches to allow a base runner to steal, moving runners over, hit and runs, hitting for power, etc.

That's really only to start the game. The rest of the game the leadoff guy could be up third that inning or even with guys on base. Each at bat changes throughout the game and in different situations guys are asked to due different things.

I'm not talking through three games I'm talking throughout a career. Don't get me wrong Ryan is a very nice player I just don't see top 15 draft eligible college prospect

That's really only to start the game. The rest of the game the leadoff guy could be up third that inning or even with guys on base. Each at bat changes throughout the game and in different situations guys are asked to due different things.

Yes, each at bat changes throughout the game, but typical leadoff hitters are high OBP guys who are asked to "set the table" for the "big hitters" behind them. You are right in that they may only "lead off" an inning once a game, but it doesn't mean they turn into power hitting bashers after the first inning.

Yes, each at bat changes throughout the game, but typical leadoff hitters are high OBP guys who are asked to "set the table" for the "big hitters" behind them. You are right in that they may only "lead off" an inning once a game, but it doesn't mean they turn into power hitting bashers after the first inning.

Matt+Carpenter+Los+Angeles+Dodgers+v+St+

This guy would disagree with you