Huskers Hire Billy Devaney as Executive Director of Player Personnel

Mavric

If this isn't a splash hire nothing is.

Gotta disagree that its a splash hire. Last week nobody here would know the name Billy Devaney. Of course, a bunch of people will now claim "you have to be kidding me, I have know about this guy for years". We all know that isn't true. Poll a sample of the average college football. Let me know how many people know who Billy Devaney is.

Because NFL front office types are typically household names.
  • Fire 2

Gotta disagree that its a splash hire. Last week nobody here would know the name Billy Devaney. Of course, a bunch of people will now claim "you have to be kidding me, I have know about this guy for years". We all know that isn't true. Poll a sample of the average college football. Let me know how many people know who Billy Devaney is.

My thoughts exactly. What the hell are people looking for here? What is a splash hire for this job? Tom Osborne? Bill Parcels? Maybe Jim Tressel?

My thoughts exactly. What the hell are people looking for here? What is a splash hire for this job? Tom Osborne? Bill Parcels? Maybe Jim Tressel?

Scott Frost or bust!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

Q: What exactly do you do? Has your job been defined yet?

A: It’s pretty defined. The fun part for me is, it will change during the course of different seasons. All of my concentration has been on our team, getting as familiar as I can with our players, top to bottom, every player on the roster, where we need to concentrate on the next couple years in recruiting.

Devaney spent the last couple of weeks sitting in meetings Riley is having with each Nebraska player. But he’s also meeting with each assistant coach to make sure they “speak the same language” when watching film of recruits.

“Keith Williams, what three or four things do you want in a receiver?” Devaney said. “If I ask John Parrella, ‘What do you think of a guy?’ and he says he’s good, I want to make sure I know what that means. Is that good enough?

“I need to get familiar with what the coaches are looking for, come up with a common description and characteristics for each position.”

Q: Once that happens, where will you be in the decision-making process on offers?

A: Gundy (Ryan Gunderson, player personnel director) will bring me a couple of guys a day to look at, and he’ll say, ‘We’re kind of split on this. One guy likes him, one guy doesn’t. When you get a second, can you look at this guy?’ That’s the fun part. It’s like being on an NFL team.

I don’t want to screw these guys up, because you can tell, they’re pretty darned good at what they do. I’m jumping on board here. I need to learn what they do. For me to come in and say I have a whole different way of doing it, that would be crazy.

OWH

• Fire 1