Spring Position Battles - Quarterback

Mavric

Awful situation awareness... Except when he shovel passes to Ameer for a win on a option play.

People put so much on Illinois, but that play call was fubar from the start.

Or he could have just listened and followed the directions that were told to him.

Even if the coaches insisted on the safe dump pass first and a scramble only if necessary, it's a reasonable call that many successful coaches have made in their careers.

Like every call, it's much better when it works.

Maybe I just don't remember, but wasn't that play call lost in translation? Didn't the coaches call one thing and TA misunderstood what they wanted? Or, was it truly a run/pass option?

Awful situation awareness... Except when he shovel passes to Ameer for a win on a option play.

Or he could have just listened and followed the directions that were told to him.

Even if the coaches insisted on the safe dump pass first and a scramble only if necessary, it's a reasonable call that many successful coaches have made in their careers.

Maybe I just don't remember, but wasn't that play call lost in translation? Didn't the coaches call one thing and TA misunderstood what they wanted? Or, was it truly a run/pass option?

There seem to be mass confusion on the play. As I recall, it was snapped early too. Seems coaches could have grabbed hold of that situation when they saw the team was in a wrong formation, allowed the time to run down and called timeout to sort it out.

It was a cluster.

They called a bootleg run to Tommy (which would have been pretty much the perfect call, IMHO) and he thought they called a bootleg pass. But those types of player communication misfires are to be expected in the first year of a new coaching staff.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/mismanagement-playcalling-confusion-lets-illinois-land-gut-punch-on-huskers/article_aa778f84-6a23-11e5-9e96-2b94db486f9f.html

There seem to be mass confusion on the play. As I recall, it was snapped early too. Seems coaches could have grabbed hold of that situation when they saw the team was in a wrong formation, allowed the time to run down and called timeout to sort it out.

It was a cluster.

So, let me get this straight. The coaches were supposed to see the team in the wrong formation, let the clock run all the way down THEN call time out. Are you completely forgetting that the ball is going to be snapped by Tommy somewhere in there?

You draw up some wacky ideas to shift blame from Tommy.

Lets completely gloss over the fact that Tommy admitted he got the call wrong and took the blame for the play kerfuffle.

Let's go past that even, let's blame the staff for anything Tommy does wrong because they had only been working woth him for like 10 months. It's not Tommy's fault he was in his 3rd season as a starter still forcing throws. And it's certainly not the former staffs fault for failing to coach him up. Surely it must be the staff that was in their 5th game here.

It was a cluster.

So, let me get this straight. The coaches were supposed to see the team in the wrong formation, let the clock run all the way down THEN call time out. Are you completely forgetting that the ball is going to be snapped by Tommy somewhere in there?

:laughpound

It was a cluster.

Coaches call timeouts to straighten out their teams all of the time. It's coaching 101.

They call for their QB to come over, let the time run down and then call timeout. And if they can't get their QBs attention, call time out immediately from the sideline. A TE out of place on the play side of a call should have been easy to identify, 1 or 100 games into a stint.

Again, this is basic stuff for guys getting paid 6 and 7 figures.

• Fire 4

It was a cluster.

They called a bootleg run to Tommy (which would have been pretty much the perfect call, IMHO) and he thought they called a bootleg pass. But those types of player communication misfires are to be expected in the first year of a new coaching staff.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/mismanagement-playcalling-confusion-lets-illinois-land-gut-punch-on-huskers/article_aa778f84-6a23-11e5-9e96-2b94db486f9f.html

From reading this article, it looks fair to say this was a failure on all accounts. Clearly, there was some confusion on behalf of the players, because it wasn't just TA who thought it was a pass - Carter lined up on the wrong side of the line and Ozigbo said he thought he was supposed to run a pass route as well. So, unless the coaches are lying, TA called the wrong play to the team.

Then, instead of recognizing the incorrect formation, the coaches didn't call a timeout. IIRC, the team was trying to let the clock wind down as much as possible.

All parties deserve a share of the blame here.

• Fire 1

It was a cluster.

Coaches call timeouts to straighten out their teams all of the time. It's coaching 101.

They call for their QB to come over, let the time run down and then call timeout. And if they can't get their QBs attention, call time out immediately from the sideline. A TE out of place on the play side of a call should have been easy to identify, 1 or 100 games into a stint.

Again, this is basic stuff for guys getting paid 6 and 7 figures.

So your solution to that play was stop the clock when the last thing we wanted to do was stop the clock?

Even if the play was out of formation, which I don't recall it being, the coaches probably thought "Surely, this Junior QB knows the last thing we need is for the clock to stop".

Ya know, football 101 stuff and whatnot.

Here's the play, for people wanting to refresh their memory. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcZ5ovK30G0?t=2h13m36s

One thing people are forgetting is that Jano fumbled on the previous play. The refs ruled him down by forward progress stopped, but everyone was still checking out the replay board as the offensive lined up.

It was an ugly play on all accounts, with plenty of blame to go around.

Rewatching it, I can't help but think TA should have just taken the sack.

Thank you for posting. I had misremembered that there was almost no time on the play clock. Clearly the staff should have called time out and sorted out what they were trying to do. Because with 3rd and 7 with more than a minute left, it's more than reasonable for a junior QB to think that they wanted to try to pick up the first down and close the game out.

• Fire 2