Spring Position Battles - Quarterback

Mavric

“Hard to say,” Armstrong said when asked about the identity. “We just want to get the ball in the guys’ hands — our playmakers, as Coach Langs says. He’s drawing up plays and making sure we understand those the right way. When we run those the right way, we can get the ball in guys’ hands — like (wideouts) Brandon (Reilly) and Jordan (Westerkamp) ... Stanley (Morgan) is back — getting the ball in his hands. Alonzo (Moore). (Derrion) Grim, he’s making steps. They’re doing a great job. That’s the key of our offense — making sure we’re doing our jobs the right way, making sure we’re taking care of the ball, getting the ball in the right guy’s hands and, if it’s not there, check the ball down.”

What role will a power running game and quarterback run game play?

“I’m not really sure,” Armstrong said. “We’ve got plays in there here and there. We’re working on things we need to work on in the spring. We didn’t really open up the playbook as much as we did last year. That was more of a learning experience and more of a teaching experience as well. This year, it’s more about polishing up the things we need to polish for the spring game. And then, once we get into the summer, when we can just open up the playbook more and we get every guy here — including incoming freshmen — I think that’s when we’re going to see what we’re going to do with this offense as a whole.”

This is concerning to me.

OWH

shocking. i would have never guessed that anything about the husker program was concerning to you. your usual rosy posting wouldn't lead me to suspect you had any concerns about the huskers

• Fire 3

Per reports from the weekend scrimmage, you are correct. Both TA and Fyfe forcing throws and making mistakes.... BUT, POB and AJ were going against lesser D....

It seems like it's practically required by every media member to mention that he's going against a lower defense. That's true, of course. But he also has a lower offensive line and lower receivers.

You can only preform your best wherever they let you have a chance.

I agree. The "BUT" was put in to be preemptive for those who would excuse the starters issues as having gone against a better D.

The reality is Tommy is going to be Tommy. Now, if Riley lets Tommy be mobile running QB Tommy, we will be ok. If Riley still wants Tommy to throw as much as last season, we are in for some more losses

• Fire 1

re Tommy, here's my gut feel

Good:

First read pass under 3 seconds release time

Run, called and scrambles

Leadership attitude toughness determination

Uber athlete, cannon arm

Bad:

Accuracy. Touch.

Poor football student

Throws after 3 seconds (often forced), short (both misses and even picks), or scramble throws (incl to the right though some say he's good at it. Also I think he throws off the wrong step going right)

Situational awareness (seems close to non-existent)

That bad list is way too long. He needs to move a few of those to the "good" list. If the coaches change up play calling accordingly, and MAKE him throw 2,000 (I did the math) short dump passes from now to mid August he could get us to 9 or 10 wins in the regular season (pass defense can't again suck ba!!s also)

• Fire 2

Awful situation awareness... Except when he shovel passes to Ameer for a win on a option play.

People put so much on Illinois, but that play call was fubar from the start.

Or he could have just listened and followed the directions that were told to him.

• Fire 1

Awful situation awareness... Except when he shovel passes to Ameer for a win on a option play.

Or he could have just listened and followed the directions that were told to him.

We've been down this road before. Armstrong wasn't the only one who didn't know what they were doing.

But it was, Riley and Langsdorf conceded, a botched play. Tight end Cethan Carter was supposed to be on the side Armstrong rolled to, and he was on the other side. As a result, Armstrong immediately got pressure as he rolled out. He tried throwing the ball to Ozigbo....

"I ran the wrong route," Ozigbo said, believing the play did have a pass option to it. "From what I was paying attention to, I thought it was going to be thrown, from what I heard of the play, but it wasn't supposed to be."

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/life-in-the-red/riley-explains-late-third-down-play-call/article_c7e27998-6a2e-11e5-85bb-df4719d3d06d.html

Should Tommy have eaten it and taken a sack? Absolutely. But even better, run the dadgum ball, and it's essentially game over.

What people?

Is one play it for your total recall of bad situational awareness? Solid.

Calling a QB keep was fubar eh. Hmm better tell coaches to stop with the QB kneel downs also while you're at it.

• Fire 1

Even if the coaches insisted on the safe dump pass first and a scramble only if necessary, it's a reasonable call that many successful coaches have made in their careers.

Like every call, it's much better when it works.

• Fire 2

Even if the coaches insisted on the safe dump pass first and a scramble only if necessary, it's a reasonable call that many successful coaches have made in their careers.

Like every call, it's much better when it works.

+1

Any new updates?

When I hear that the defense comes up with INTs in scrimmages and practices, I think of two things: 1.) Heard this happening last spring and yet the defense didn't do well picking off their opponent's passes just as frequently, and 2.) uh, oh, ... here we go again :(