Spring Position Battles - Quarterback

Mavric

Bush has all the tools to be a starter for us in 2017 if he can put it all together. He has great vision when running, lateral juking ability to make guys miss, awesome arm strength, the height to see the field and the big body to take a pounding, and he seems to be learning a lot about pro offense. I really think he is developing nicely and with another year could be right in the thick of things for the battle. I'm pumped for 2017 because we will have Lee, Bush, O'Brien, and Gebbia all battling it out to start. Can you imagine next year's spring game where we get to see Lee, O'Brien, and Gebbia all really for the first time. (Most of us didn't see Patrick's limited play in the spring game and it was so limited with 3rd string I don't count it). That is a heck of a competition because all 4 could start somewhere. Lee already started 2 years at Tulane. Bush has been growing quickly and I've seen dramatic improvement in a short amount of time, and the young guys were top 10 pro style QB recruits!

It will be interesting to see who stays and who goes, as there are a lot of variables that will play out in fascinating ways. My guess, right now, is that Lee ends up being the 2017 starter. The backup will likely either be Bush or O'Brien, unless Gebbia can really wow. And if O'Brien one days ends up being the starter, Gebbia could easily be a backup until his final season unless O'Brien leaves early.

Bush has all the tools to be a starter for us in 2017 if he can put it all together. He has great vision when running, lateral juking ability to make guys miss, awesome arm strength, the height to see the field and the big body to take a pounding, and he seems to be learning a lot about pro offense. I really think he is developing nicely and with another year could be right in the thick of things for the battle. I'm pumped for 2017 because we will have Lee, Bush, O'Brien, and Gebbia all battling it out to start. Can you imagine next year's spring game where we get to see Lee, O'Brien, and Gebbia all really for the first time. (Most of us didn't see Patrick's limited play in the spring game and it was so limited with 3rd string I don't count it). That is a heck of a competition because all 4 could start somewhere. Lee already started 2 years at Tulane. Bush has been growing quickly and I've seen dramatic improvement in a short amount of time, and the young guys were top 10 pro style QB recruits!

It will be interesting to see who stays and who goes, as there are a lot of variables that will play out in fascinating ways. My guess, right now, is that Lee ends up being the 2017 starter. The backup will likely either be Bush or O'Brien, unless Gebbia can really wow. And if O'Brien one days ends up being the starter, Gebbia could easily be a backup until his final season unless O'Brien leaves early.

How different how QB conversations is becoming. Seems like ever since TM took that first long run to the house we haven't had much to think about when it comes to solid depth.

I think 2013's 9 wins after Taylor went down indicates we had decent depth there. 2014 was a little thin, but Armstrong, Fyfe, Bush and Stanton (? Or was it darlington?) provided a solid line up of QBs for the system they were recruited for.

No team, not even Alabama, is 3 deep at every position, but that seems to be the fan expectation.

Man, I really wish we had Ganz in 2009.

It seems so plausible that the difference between Ganz and Lee turns three of those laser-thin losses into wins.

Which would have had Nebraska at 12 - 1, playing in a major bowl, possibly the BCS championship.

Gotta figure if nothing else, we win the god awful Iowa State game at the very least. I would think we win the VaTech game too, and been able to score a few more points against Texas.

There was 0 chance we were beating Tech that year though, and they weren't even that good.