Spring Position Battles - Quarterback

Mavric

NU was trying to pick up the first AND kill as much time as possible, Tommy just had a brain fart.

If so, so did Cethan Carter, Ozigbo (who said he thought it was a pass play and looked back for a pass rather than blocking), the other players on the team who acted as though it were a pass play and finally, if you care to admit it, the coaches who failed to recognize the mess that their team was in during the rush and failed to call a timeout from the sideline with 2 seconds left on the play clock.

And, if they were trying to pick up a first down, that bootleg keep was doomed when Cethan was on the wrong side.

Can you admit that the coaches fouled it up? Or is that impossible for you?

It's ok to make mistakes, even if you're paid a hell of a lot of money not to make the easy ones.

• Fire 4

NU was trying to pick up the first AND kill as much time as possible, Tommy just had a brain fart.

If so, so did Cethan Carter, Ozigbo (who said he thought it was a pass play and looked back for a pass rather than blocking), the other players on the team who acted as though it were a pass play and finally, if you care to admit it, the coaches who failed to recognize the mess that their team was in during the rush and failed to call a timeout from the sideline with 2 seconds left on the play clock.

And, if they were trying to pick up a first down, that bootleg keep was doomed when Cethan was on the wrong side.

It's ok to make mistakes, even if you're paid a hell of a lot of money not to make the easy ones.

6002034545_d64bfe1e81.jpg

So your solution to that play was stop the clock when the last thing we wanted to do was stop the clock?

If you call a timeout with 1 second on the playclock, and then run a running play, you are in effect keeping the clock running.

Well aware of that.

Doesn't really apply to that situation.

Yup, coaches made some mistakes in that game.

Is it impossible for you to admit Tommy made a lot of mistakes?

He made no more than a standard number that most players make, including a number of guys who made a similar mistake on that play. Again, he was going for a first down on 3rd and 7 with a minute left. I don't think it's as boneheaded as you are painting it.

Now, the mistake the coaches made was boneheaded, and it was a nonstandard error.

• Fire 2

So your solution to that play was stop the clock when the last thing we wanted to do was stop the clock?

If you call a timeout with 1 second on the playclock, and then run a running play, you are in effect keeping the clock running.

Well aware of that.

How does it not apply? The team snapped the ball with about 2 seconds left on the play clock. Coaches can call timeouts from the sideline.

It's a bit shocking they let a play go off with guys out of formation.

• Fire 4

There was something bogus with the terminology for that play, I don't recall what the exact issue was but the coaches recognized the problem after the game and corrected the terminology to avoid the mess you just described.

Yes, the coaches made mistakes during the game especially in regards to clock management at the end but the players made plenty of mistakes as well. Including Tommy Armstrong.

He made no more than a standard number that most players make, including a number of guys who made a similar mistake on that play. Again, he was going for a first down on 3rd and 7 with a minute left. I don't think it's as boneheaded as you are painting it.

Now, the mistake the coaches made was boneheaded, and it was a nonstandard error.

Passing when a run was called is a "standard mistake"?

Well aware of that.

How does it not apply? The team snapped the ball with about 2 seconds left on the play clock. Coaches can call timeouts from the sideline.

It's a bit shocking they let a play go off with guys out of formation.

As I stated before, my assumption is that the coaches didn't really plan for their QB to go rouge with the play so why call a timeout?

You like to request proof, where is this proof that the play was all out of whack?

(Also I bet they were a little hesitant to call a timeout given that calling one late against BYU very well could have cost them a win there)

What exactly is this standard number of errors that most players make?

As I stated before, my assumption is that the coaches didn't really plan for their QB to go rouge with the play so why call a timeout?

You like to request proof, where is this proof that the play was all out of whack?

(Also I bet they were a little hesitant to call a timeout given that calling one late against BYU very well could have cost them a win there)

As much as it pains me to be in agreement with cm, what you're talking about makes no sense.

If you don't call a timeout in the situation, the clock runs all the way through the game clock and you hope/think that it will keep running after the play is over.

If you do call a timeout in the situation, you lose 1 second of game clock that otherwise would have been running, but you make absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt, certain that everyone is on exactly the same page. They were out of formation. If the only real cost is one extra second when Illinois would have been left with less than :15 total, and the payoff is potentially avoiding disaster, you see them out of formation and that is an easy, automatic decision to make.

The BYU scenario couldn't be more different.

• Fire 1

What exactly is this standard number of errors that most players make?

Standard? Probably 4 to 6 per game, of varying degrees of consequence.

• Fire 1

As much as it pains me to be in agreement with cm, what you're talking about makes no sense.

If you don't call a timeout in the situation, the clock runs all the way through the game clock and you hope/think that it will keep running after the play is over.

If you do call a timeout in the situation, you lose 1 second of game clock that otherwise would have been running, but you make absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt, certain that everyone is on exactly the same page. They were out of formation. If the only real cost is one extra second when Illinois would have been left with less than :15 total, and the payoff is potentially avoiding disaster, you see them out of formation and that is an easy, automatic decision to make.

The BYU scenario couldn't be more different.

But were they actually out of formation, I'm honestly asking here.

What I am talking about is the coaches expecting TA to run the play they called, they weren't aware he didn't know what play he was supposed to run.

And in the BYU game I'm talking about how they called a timeout right before they got the ball back and essentially gifted them an extra 20 seconds or so.

Heres the thing, I was and still am very critical of many of the decisions made by the coaching staff in the first couple months of the season. BYU and Illinois inparticular. I'm not so stubborn that I won't admit that, hell look back at threads from those games and you will probably find me losing my sh#t.

Now cm? He can't come to grips with the fact that Tommy is partly to blame for anything. And it's not even about that, it all boils down to him being pissy still about the Riley hire. He just nitpicks sh#t to make his case look stronger.

If the coaching staff struggles with game management this year, I'll be more concerned and his claims will hold some weight. Until then, I'm chalking 90% of his issues up to a rough transition year and his bias.