Spring Position Battles - Quarterback

Mavric

As I said before, plenty of blame to go around for that play, both players and coaches. But none if it seems like ineptitude to me as much as it seems like a cascading series of bad breaks (players getting the play wrong, coaches not noticing in time to call a time out, TA not taking the sack, Ozigbo not being able to catch the ball that was slightly behind him). Anyone of those 4 things go right, then Nebraska probably wins the game, but all 4 went wrong.

But to me, it seems pretty unfair to assign inordinate amounts of blame on the coaches for not calling a timeout in response to the wrong formation, as you can clearly see the players are still rushing to get to the line right before TA snapped the ball. It's not like they were just sitting there in formation, waiting for him to snap it, they were just breaking the huddle with 6 on the play clock and getting to the line with 3. Here's the link again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcZ5ovK30G0?t=2h13m53s

EDIT: watching it once more, I can't help but think that TA thinks he's going to be handing the ball off to Ozigbo. Look at the way he shifts the ball awkwardly between hands to throw it. Maybe we'll never really know for sure what happened on that play.

On 3rd and 7 Tommy has a wide open Ozigbo and he can't deliver the pass in front of his receiver. If he does that, its 1st down Nebraska and game over for Illinois.

If Tommy does his job on 3rd and 7 none of the rest of this matters. I don't expect Tommy to be perfect but if we're going to dissect the coaching performance then there is nothing wrong with dissecting the players performance either.

Wait, so now he was supposed to pass it? You guys should really align your arguments.

And yeah, to the next poster, when you blame a player who threw an incomplete pass on 3rd and 7 while there was mass confusion on the field created by a play call, yes that is scapegoating the player.

Let's also not forget that it wasn't like he threw a pick six. There's no excuse for a staff having NU in a 13-7 game late with Illinois and then not being able to put together a defensive stand to close things out.

It's freaking Illinois.

But people want to focus on one play and one player's preceived fault rather than the systemic issues that put that game in doubt in the first place.

A bad play call, formation not set, those things don't cause Tommy to throw behind his receiver. Tommy had plenty of time and his receiver was wide open. All he had to do was deliver the ball in front of his receiver and he couldn't do it. Stop blaming everyone except the one man who could have executed but didn't. And maybe you should stop making excuses for our quarterback, the man makes mistakes far to often.

Plenty of irony packed into that little sentence.

Please quote me where I've made excuses for anyone on the team, players or coaches. I'll wait patiently.

No. The irony is you calling out our QB for "to" many mistakes.

He does make to many mistakes in some games. That is an incontrovertible fact. Other games, he looks like a Superstar.

Drake-Saying-Is-This-Guy-Serious.gif

• Fire 1

As I said before, plenty of blame to go around for that play, both players and coaches. But none if it seems like ineptitude to me as much as it seems like a cascading series of bad breaks (players getting the play wrong, coaches not noticing in time to call a time out, TA not taking the sack, Ozigbo not being able to catch the ball that was slightly behind him). Anyone of those 4 things go right, then Nebraska probably wins the game, but all 4 went wrong.

But to me, it seems pretty unfair to assign inordinate amounts of blame on the coaches for not calling a timeout in response to the wrong formation, as you can clearly see the players are still rushing to get to the line right before TA snapped the ball. It's not like they were just sitting there in formation, waiting for him to snap it, they were just breaking the huddle with 6 on the play clock and getting to the line with 3. Here's the link again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcZ5ovK30G0?t=2h13m53s

EDIT: watching it once more, I can't help but think that TA thinks he's going to be handing the ball off to Ozigbo. Look at the way he shifts the ball awkwardly between hands to throw it. Maybe we'll never really know for sure what happened on that play.

On 3rd and 7 Tommy has a wide open Ozigbo and he can't deliver the pass in front of his receiver. If he does that, its 1st down Nebraska and game over for Illinois.

If Tommy does his job on 3rd and 7 none of the rest of this matters. I don't expect Tommy to be perfect but if we're going to dissect the coaching performance then there is nothing wrong with dissecting the players performance either.

Wait, so now he was supposed to pass it? You guys should really align your arguments.

And yeah, to the next poster, when you blame a player who threw an incomplete pass on 3rd and 7 while there was mass confusion on the field created by a play call, yes that is scapegoating the player.

Let's also not forget that it wasn't like he threw a pick six. There's no excuse for a staff having NU in a 13-7 game late with Illinois and then not being able to put together a defensive stand to close things out.

It's freaking Illinois.

But people want to focus on one play and one player's preceived fault rather than the systemic issues that put that game in doubt in the first place.

A bad play call, formation not set, those things don't cause Tommy to throw behind his receiver. Tommy had plenty of time and his receiver was wide open. All he had to do was deliver the ball in front of his receiver and he couldn't do it. Stop blaming everyone except the one man who could have executed but didn't. And maybe you should stop making excuses for our quarterback, the man makes mistakes far to often.

Please quote me where I've made excuses for anyone on the team, players or coaches. I'll wait patiently.

He does make to many mistakes in some games. That is an incontrovertible fact. Other games, he looks like a Superstar.

c17.jpg

• Fire 1

It's freaking Illinois.

c17.jpg

LOL!! I'm stealing that meme! The meme nails it. LOL!

• Fire 1

But to me, it seems pretty unfair to assign inordinate amounts of blame on the coaches for not calling a timeout in response to the wrong formation, as you can clearly see the players are still rushing to get to the line right before TA snapped the ball. It's not like they were just sitting there in formation, waiting for him to snap it, they were just breaking the huddle with 6 on the play clock and getting to the line with 3. Here's the link again:

It's freaking Illinois.

c17.jpg

Everyone should care about golden examples of irony. It's so rare to actually identify it in nature.

• Fire 1

But to me, it seems pretty unfair to assign inordinate amounts of blame on the coaches for not calling a timeout in response to the wrong formation, as you can clearly see the players are still rushing to get to the line right before TA snapped the ball. It's not like they were just sitting there in formation, waiting for him to snap it, they were just breaking the huddle with 6 on the play clock and getting to the line with 3. Here's the link again:

It's freaking Illinois.

c17.jpg

Everyone should care about golden examples of irony. It's so rare to actually identify it in nature.

It's an online message board, so I'll have to refer you to answers A through C in the above quoted meme. :thumbs

Hey, I make plenty of typos and grammar errors on here. But not when specifically calling out someone else for their mistakes.

Comon, that's a funny bit of irony.

No one "called out" anyone for their mistakes. That's the stupidity of Huskerpedia. It's ok to talk about every coaching mistake both real and imagined but by gawd don't you DARE do that to the players! That's a bullsh#t position that should have stayed at Huskerpedia.

• Fire 1

Hey, I make plenty of typos and grammar errors on here. But not when specifically calling out someone else for their mistakes.

No one "called out" anyone for their mistakes. That's the stupidity of Huskerpedia. It's ok to talk about every coaching mistake both real and imagined but by gawd don't you DARE do that to the players! That's a bullsh#t position that should have stayed at Huskerpedia.

Uhmmm, how is saying someone commits to (sic) many mistakes not calling them out for their mistakes?

Some people have a very hard time owning their disparaging comments.

And yeah, there are different rules of conduct with respect to paid professionals and amateur athletes. Put athletes on a salary and I'd be more inclined to assess their on field performance more critically.

• Fire 3

Uhmmm, how is saying someone commits to (sic) many mistakes not calling them out for their mistakes?

And yeah, there are different rules of conduct with respect to paid professionals and amateur athletes. Put athletes on a salary and I'd be more inclined to assess their on field performance more critically.

I don't think you understand what "calling out" means.

As fans, we assess on/off the field performance of both coaches and players, both good and bad results.

• Fire 2

I don't think you understand what "calling out" means.

As fans, we assess on/off the field performance of both coaches and players, both good and bad results.

transitive verb. 1 : to summon into action <call out troops> 2 : to challenge to a duel.

One can't un-ring a bell, so the Illinois game stays as it is. I would imagine that if Riley and company knew this game was still being dissected in such great detail and with so much passion, they would be astonished, but that is the difference between Nebraska and Oregon State. I think Riley is still coming to grips with that.

We will see if Armstrong is given the green light (or even encouraged) to run more. That appears to be his strength, and not so much option pass plays with a checklist of routes and reads.

As for the guys behind him, I would really have to see some remarkable (even astonishing) passing to have them jump over Armstrong.

One can't un-ring a bell, so the Illinois game stays as it is. I would imagine that if Riley and company knew this game was still being dissected in such great detail and with so much passion, they would be astonished, but that is the difference between Nebraska and Oregon State. I think Riley is still coming to grips with that.

We will see if Armstrong is given the green light (or even encouraged) to run more. That appears to be his strength, and not so much option pass plays with a checklist of routes and reads.

As for the guys behind him, I would really have to see some remarkable (even astonishing) passing to have them jump over Armstrong.

Armstrong was encouraged to run more last year, he chose to throw it more.

Armstrong was encouraged to run more last year, he chose to throw it more.

Sorry but that's just blatantly false.

• Fire 1