Spring Position Battles - Quarterback

Mavric

I don't recall AF saying anything close to that - is there a way to search certain posters instead of looking thru 227 individual post? It would be nice to see the post that caused the explosion.

This is the one he is talking about:

to be honest, if POB is the hot shot everyone thinks he is, he should be the #2 guy at least by mid season. besides, other than TA, who is his competition, really?

Also if that is the case, then we should see TA running more often because we will have a capable backup unlike last year so we won't need to play it safe with TA.

exactly.

this won't happen

I don't understand not letting TA run for fear of injury. Running is his biggest strength. IMO, the entire defense slows down if they are afraid TA will take off running. When TA is standing in the pocket he is a turnover machine, so maybe the #2 QB is just as good as an immobile TA.

Fyfe sucks as a runner and a passer. They knew if TA went down, they had no chance at winning a game past that point at which TA was hurt.

While I'm not a huge Fyfe fan, I wouldn't say he sucks. He has a limited ceiling. He did still put up 45 points on Purdue, but if he would have played a little better he easily could have hung 60+ on them. Defense did him no favors and vice versa.

Makes one wonder how NU outscored Purdue 79-21 in those two Armstrong wins versus the 55-44 loss this past season. Perhaps it has something to do with 39 attempts over two games versus 48 attempts during one.

That said, I don't think Fyfe was terrible, as much as I think he was put in a terrible position.

30 of those passes came in the second half, which Nebraska trailed by at least two touchdowns for a large majority of the time. Pretty sure if we were up 14 (2014) or 21 (2013) points going into half, Fyfe wouldn't have needed to throw the ball that many times. You can't just look at three years history and say that the stats prove we should've run more - completely different circumstances. And that's an actual fact.

• Fire 1

Not a good day for the QBs. TA threw one pick and almost a second and missed badly on several throws in about 25 snaps. Fyfe threw two picks.

First team offense sputtered on it's first two possessions because of incompletions. They went run-heavy on their third possession and scored a touchdown.

Conditions favored the defenses, and that's how it played out with the top units.

Both of the No. 1 and No. 2 quarterbacks Tommy Armstrong and Ryker Fyfe got roughly four series against the top defenses. Of those eight drives, just one, with mostly running plays, resulted in a touchdown. Fyfe tossed two bad interceptions, as well.

The co-No. 3 quarterbacks A.J. Bush and Patrick O'Brien looked much better against the lower-unit defenses, but those defenses were comprised mostly of walk-ons who have seen spot time at best in games.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/practice-report-april-huskers-hold-first-major-scrimmage-of-spring/article_5aeed39c-fe88-11e5-87e6-8b2cff77ac8f.html?mode=jqm

• Fire 1

Gentlemen, and I use that term sarcastically loosely, could you all please take your Purdue arguments to an appropriate thread. Thanks from the non-management.

BTW I have an observation about the $hitty days the top 2 QB's had in yesterday's scrimmage. I summarize it thusly....

Patrick-OBrien_medium.jpg

Gentlemen, and I use that term sarcastically loosely, could you all please take your Purdue arguments to an appropriate thread. Thanks from the non-management.

BTW I have an observation about the $hitty days the top 2 QB's had in yesterday's scrimmage. I summarize it thusly....

Per reports from the weekend scrimmage, you are correct. Both TA and Fyfe forcing throws and making mistakes.... BUT, POB and AJ were going against lesser D....

Per reports from the weekend scrimmage, you are correct. Both TA and Fyfe forcing throws and making mistakes.... BUT, POB and AJ were going against lesser D....

It seems like it's practically required by every media member to mention that he's going against a lower defense. That's true, of course. But he also has a lower offensive line and lower receivers.

You can only preform your best wherever they let you have a chance.

• Fire 1

edit sorry just mentioned by MAV

Sophomore AJ Bush has often looked as good as — and sometimes better than — true freshman Patrick O’Brien, which is great news. Bush is improving with coaching. Though Bush played for better teams in high school than O’Brien, he didn’t enjoy some of the private learning opportunities O’Brien had. Bush has talent and he’s starting to settle in a bit. O’Brien, for a kid, appears well ahead of most players his age. He’s hesitant, a little mechanical and pretty risk averse, which isn’t the worst thing, but he’s thrown the two best passes I’ve seen in camp, both long passes, both thrown with the kind of timing and touch that only comes with a lot of tutelage.

Both quarterbacks should be given a chance in the spring game to direct a drive with the No. 1 or No. 2 offenses. Time to see them tested against better defenders.

OWH

• Fire 1

Hard to say, Armstrong said when asked about the identity. We just want to get the ball in the guys hands our playmakers, as Coach Langs says. Hes drawing up plays and making sure we understand those the right way. When we run those the right way, we can get the ball in guys hands like (wideouts) Brandon (Reilly) and Jordan (Westerkamp) ... Stanley (Morgan) is back getting the ball in his hands. Alonzo (Moore). (Derrion) Grim, hes making steps. Theyre doing a great job. Thats the key of our offense making sure were doing our jobs the right way, making sure were taking care of the ball, getting the ball in the right guys hands and, if its not there, check the ball down.

What role will a power running game and quarterback run game play?

Im not really sure, Armstrong said. Weve got plays in there here and there. Were working on things we need to work on in the spring. We didnt really open up the playbook as much as we did last year. That was more of a learning experience and more of a teaching experience as well. This year, its more about polishing up the things we need to polish for the spring game. And then, once we get into the summer, when we can just open up the playbook more and we get every guy here including incoming freshmen I think thats when were going to see what were going to do with this offense as a whole.

This is concerning to me.

OWH

• Fire 1