Race Relations, the KKK, and Footsie

I know that CNN and other news networks sometimes become white noise if you listen to them for any extended period of time. But this was from yesterday, and for me, this was one of those gripping moments in television where I could honestly not look away. That's probably even more rare with network news stations.

I thought that this was a pretty epic showdown. It represents American bipartisanship at its core, as they're both looking at the exact same set of events and have reached entirely different conclusions. To me, their views are pretty monolithic, in that they represent some very pointed, ingrained, perhaps even subconscious fundamental beliefs about the way the world works and the way our political system interprets it.

Lord, on the left, is a former Reagan administration employee and a current Trump supporter. Van Jones is a former Obama administration employee and currently neutral liberal.

Not going to offer up my view on the exchange just yet, but I think it's worth everyone's time. What do you think? Who do you agree with more?

"Innocent black kids"...

"Innocent kids!"

That interjection deserves some attention. Too often the utopian ideal of color-blindness is confused for being a call to dismissal. The people and the movements that yearned for a color-blind world also sought out and repudiated racial injustice at every corner. To say victory has been achieved would be to deny basic human nature. Continued recognition, discussion, and empathy all around are required.

The KKK was the spawn of racism. I don't know how loyal they were to the Democrat stronghold that was the American South, but it's quite clearly not the party of today. The 'Dixiecrats' abandonend the Democratic Party over the civil rights movement. I wonder how they ended up (/glances at the southern election map...)

• Fire 1

"Innocent black kids"...

"Innocent kids!"

That interjection deserves some attention. Too often the utopian ideal of color-blindness is confused for being a call to dismissal. The people and the movements that yearned for a color-blind world also sought out and repudiated racial injustice at every corner. To say victory has been achieved would be to deny basic human nature. Continued recognition, discussion, and empathy all around are required.

The KKK was the spawn of racism. I don't know how loyal they were to the Democrat stronghold that was the American South, but it's quite clearly not the party of today. The 'Dixiecrats' abandonend the Democratic Party over the civil rights movement. I wonder how they ended up (/glances at the southern election map...)

I think they're both lofty ideals but fundamentally different, depending on your perspective. Lord, a conservative, claims his party wants to see all people from the same lens and achieve a colorblind society where no one is judged on the merits of their skin color. Van, a liberal, is trying to make a point that that's not how his party sees things, that's not how Dr. King wanted things (this was later seen between an interaction between himself and Don Lemon-- Lemon brought this up), and that doesn't appear to be how Trump himself sees things.

I tend to agree with the latter sentiment, and the fact that the majority of people of color side with Democrats is rather telling as to which view of America is more accurate.

My problem with Lord in this whole exchange is it feels like he's deflecting Van's entire argument. He falls back on history, points out the KKK came from the Democrats, and states that liberals try to divide people by race.

This is a microcosm of Trump's entire campaign. Van was presenting problems he has with Trump's actions in the present day, supported with past actions. Lord deflects and evades by pointing the finger.

It seems irresponsible to me to derail an important discussion about the current dynamics of race relations in this country in an attempt to cast blame.

• Fire 1

"I did not say anything"

"you breathed" (quickly realizing that sounds like a horrible statement so he adds in some laughing)

I think at that point he had something that had set Van off and he was trying to remain civil. Odd thing to say, though.

He must have! Could you imagine if you flipped that though? Good lord...also...he reached out and put his hand on the guy...could you imagine that flipped?

"I did not say anything"

"you breathed" (quickly realizing that sounds like a horrible statement so he adds in some laughing)

I think at that point he had something that had set Van off and he was trying to remain civil. Odd thing to say, though.

He must have! Could you imagine if you flipped that though? Good lord...also...he reached out and put his hand on the guy...could you imagine that flipped?

Van looks like a strong dude. I think he could've torn that arm off if he really wanted to.

"I did not say anything"

Van looks like a strong dude. I think he could've torn that arm off if he really wanted to.

Ha...Probably! I thought it was odd...seemed weird to tell the old guy that his breathing was "not letting him speak" and also to lay his hands on him in that subtle "Shut the f#*k up" way.

They should have just let the two fight.

What a great exchange.

What I saw there is a guy (Lord) trying to do the normal political crap speak supporting a crappy candidate when another guy (Van Jones) was actually speaking from the heart.

It is EXACTLY right that what the Democrats were like in the early 1900s compared to now and where the KKK came from does not matter. The fact is, overt racism is infested into the Republican party. People don't want to believe that. But, what party do you think a KKK member TODAY is a member of? If you say the Dems, you aren't being serious.

Now, the Dems play a part in this also because they have fed off of this for decades with people like Jesse Jackson and others that have feasted off of promoting racial divide in politics. Gee....what party are they a part of?

This is a very complex issue. I completely agree with Van Jones' point about the KKK being a terrorist organization and to simply act like you don't know anything about them....oh....then later to disavow them...is pathetic for any political figure in this country.

This exchange made Lord look little and uninformed while trying to do a bunch of political hack speak. If Trump wins the nomination, expect a LOT of this leading up to November and Trump is going to get crushed.

• Fire 2

Yes in history Lincoln was a republican, and the democrats were racist, also in history the f word for gays meant a bundle of sticks and gay meant happy. Terms and beliefs change. Hell, when my brother was 4 he wanted to be an ambulance when he grew up.

What matters in this election is not what things were back then, but what they are now.

Yes in history Lincoln was a republican, and the democrats were racist, also in history the f word for gays meant a bundle of sticks and gay meant happy. Terms and beliefs change. Hell, when my brother was 4 he wanted to be an ambulance when he grew up.

What matters in this election is not what things were back then, but what they are now.

He can still be an ambulance if he really puts some effort into it. Tell him to follow his dreams.

• Fire 3

So...the democrats could become a huge racist party again.

He can still be an ambulance if he really puts some effort into it. Tell him to follow his dreams.

How much does that surgery cost?

So...the democrats could become a huge racist party again.

Its possible, I hope not.but to say absolutely not would be idiotic.