Fighting Erstads vs. Loyola Marymount

After 6 straight wins, Nebraska is now #41 in the pseudo-RPI rankings.

http://www.boydsworld.com/baseball/rpi/currentrpi.html

College of Charleston is #4 right now, so that season opening series loss doesn't look too bad right now. Other losses to Arizona #24 and San Diego #44 aren't terrible either.

And updated to #39 this Monday 03/14/2016 at 6:30am CST. :koolaid2:

Right...though we really should have taken that Charleston series and more than what we did out west. :(

I dunno...it just seems that we're really unprepared when we begin the season and that we're scrambling to catch up by the time our first homestand appears on the schedule. I get that this is partially because we're a northern team...but other top contending northern teams aren't having similar issues year after year as far as I can tell.

College of Charleston is #4 right now, so that season opening series loss doesn't look too bad right now. Other losses to Arizona #24 and San Diego #44 aren't terrible either.

Right...though we really should have taken that Charleston series and more than what we did out west. :(

I dunno...it just seems that we're really unprepared when we begin the season and that we're scrambling to catch up by the time our first homestand appears on the schedule. I get that this is partially because we're a northern team...but other top contending northern teams aren't having similar issues year after year as far as I can tell.

I think you can't make too much out of early season games. Yes, they all count towards the season records and impact the at-large berths in the NCAA tournament. However, NU was basically putting in a whole new weekend rotation this year. Some of those guys are able to do well right away, and some of those guys struggle and are quickly replaced. Baseball is a game that requires larger sample sizes to get any true analysis of the performance of the team, too.

I think you can't make too much out of early season games. Yes, they all count towards the season records and impact the at-large berths in the NCAA tournament. However, NU was basically putting in a whole new weekend rotation this year. Some of those guys are able to do well right away, and some of those guys struggle and are quickly replaced. Baseball is a game that requires larger sample sizes to get any true analysis of the performance of the team, too.

Agreed, which is why I've always said there needs to be a longer baseball season for collegiate baseball (and that the start should mirror that of MLB and begin in early April).

And I get the rotation thing...but wouldn't we have somewhat of an idea coming out of practice what our better rotations are going to be? Or are you saying the coaches already have an idea, and they're just using early-season games as a mad scientist/lab experiment to see if they can get unexpected/positive results?

Agreed, which is why I've always said there needs to be a longer baseball season for collegiate baseball (and that the start should mirror that of MLB and begin in early April).

And I get the rotation thing...but wouldn't we have somewhat of an idea coming out of practice what our better rotations are going to be? Or are you saying the coaches already have an idea, and they're just using early-season games as a mad scientist/lab experiment to see if they can get unexpected/positive results?

But... they're students... school ends in May... And they already play ~55 regular season games. You want them to play more? How many more? That's a boatload of games.

But... they're students... school ends in May... And they already play ~55 regular season games. You want them to play more? How many more? That's a boatload of games.

If you don't attach the season to the school calendar, then it would enable an expanded season. I am not sure if that's the right decision though.

All these college players are playing in summer leagues, so they are playing baseball, just not for their college program.

If you don't attach the season to the school calendar, then it would enable an expanded season. I am not sure if that's the right decision though.

All these college players are playing in summer leagues, so they are playing baseball, just not for their college program.

Is basketball really attached to the school calendar, though? And an extension would do the sport and Omaha some good. Hell, just think if the CWS were around the 4th of July how crazy it would become...

Is basketball really attached to the school calendar, though? And an extension would do the sport and Omaha some good. Hell, just think if the CWS were around the 4th of July how crazy it would become...

Since the basketball season is within the academic calendar year, I think it is pretty much within the school calendar.

I don't know where I stand on pushing the baseball season back a few weeks. I think Omaha will go crazy for the CWS whenever it's held.

Since the basketball season is within the academic calendar year, I think it is pretty much within the school calendar.

I don't know where I stand on pushing the baseball season back a few weeks. I think Omaha will go crazy for the CWS whenever it's held.

Isn't school already out for the postseason?