Sam's Spring Defense Roster Takes

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/sam-mckewon-s-spring-roster-takes-defense/article_e2a227f2-ea20-11e5-85e5-8799ab183b0a.html

Worth the 5 minutes to read. Also a lot of insight on where the incoming recruits might fit.

My high level summary:

McMullen is getting coached hard by Parrella to reach his full potential.

Davis Twins still learning the college game where they can't just out-athlete the OL

DE still needs guys to take "the leap"

LBs should be solid

Kalu > Jones

E Lee is the top corner backup

Gerry is getting coached hard by Banker

DBs should be a strength once the youth figures it out

I find it interesting that Kalu seems to be ahead of Jones. There was an article not too long ago about how Kalu was learning from Jones and I think most fans thought Jones was the No. 1 at CB as well.

It could be that Jones caught on to the style of play faster and Kalu was learning from him. But now Kalu has figured it out and is better than Jones.

Figured I'd throw this article by Sam in here as well:

LINCOLN — The first half of Nebraska football’s spring camp is complete. This Rewind focuses on a few takeaways at the halfway point, since NU has eight practices — and the spring game — after spring break.

» The defense remains a work in progress. You know those massive spring cleaning projects around the yard or the house where you know the final vision, but at the moment, it looks a bit like chaos? That’s the defense.

Injuries at safety. Youth in the secondary. A new position coach, new coaching duties for defensive coordinator Mark Banker, a bunch of fast-twitch defensive linemen who are too young to have all the techniques down. At least the linebackers look fairly settled.

After a disastrous first year — in which anything that could go wrong for the defense often did — Banker has a lot of work to do, and a young roster with which to do it. Banker has used the word “rudimentary” in camp.

Recruiting mistakes and philosophical differences have left NU’s defense — a crown jewel at the start of this decade — just hoping to hang in there. Top Big Ten programs deliver more.

» That said, Nebraska appears to have a true No. 1 corner. Joshua Kalu is that guy. He’s been solid all camp and been thrown at somewhat infrequently in team periods we’ve witnessed. Chris Jones has received a lot more work.