Punishment Philosophy

the very real suffering you put his innocent teammates and coaches.

Real suffering happens at a funeral, a morgue, a hospital, a jail cell, not a locker room.

Good Lord, people!

I respectfully disagree with those limitations. An easy example is an unemployment line, and as I mentioned, a loss to MSU would have put NU at 4-8 on the season. That may have resulted in more firings

Sober speeding kills a lot of people; probably as many or more than drunk driving.

If we use that logic of risked, but not actually suffered, harm, should a player be suspended for a game because of a speeding ticket?

Sober speeding kills the driver and usually only the driver. A drunk driver will not only kill himself but usually kills others also.

Should a family be punished if a father or mother go out and get a DUI?

Sober speeding kills a lot of people; probably as many or more than drunk driving.

If we use that logic of risked, but not actually suffered, harm, should a player be suspended for a game because of a speeding ticket?

Sober speeding kills the driver and usually only the driver. A drunk driver will not only kill himself but usually kills others also.

Where do you find that first statistical claim? I haven't seen that at all. I think that claim is flat out false.

Your second question ignores the fact that the dui offender, whether football player or not, suffers punishments that effect him and his family. No one disputes that. Rather, the pertinent question is whether the football player, and those around him, should be subject to additional punishment because of his status as a football player. It's not 100% clear to me that it should, especially when talking about relatively minor offenses.

An easy example is an unemployment line, and as I mentioned, a loss to MSU would have put NU at 4-8 on the season. That may have resulted in more firings

You really, REALLY need to come to the homeless shelter with me some evening, or maybe I can switch the the jail chaplain if you come down. You have led a far too sheltered life if a coach making a half million dollars a year for the last 20 years losing his job for a season is even a factor when trying to address drunk driving.

When a thread gets too bizarre even for me...it's all yours, gentlemen.

Most of the current staff hasn't been making half a million for 20 years, though I've never claimed that Hughes, for example, is in the same position as the people at homeless shelters (recall, I said unemployment line, and that is painful for people, even compared to DUI injuries).

If this is all about deterring others by setting an example, why stop at 1 game? Wouldn't 2 be a more impactful example? How about a season? Maybe just end the offenders career?

At what point do we say that setting an example isn't worth the payoff?

I brought up a question in a other thread. I agree with those who think that thread should be allowed to die. Still curious what everyone's thoughts are regarding the following.

Question: should a coach consider the impact a punishment has on innocent team members when assigning punishments to individuals? For example, if TA had been charged with suspicion of DUI a week before the MSU game last year, should he be suspended even if that likely means a loss suffered by the rest of the guys?

Or if it might mean the difference between a win providing a coach with security versus a loss leading directly to his firing? At 4-8, that might have been a real possibility.

I don't think it's a simple answer. I do think it should be a factor.

I think this thread of 50+ post has lost sight of the OP. Suspicion in itself does not infer he is guilty. Upon conviction, then this conversation would need to happen. IMO :dunno

More to cm's point, I just read that in 2015, 1/3 of all traffic fatalities were related to drunk driving nationwide. I couldn't readily find how many were in relation to excessive speed.

On the point of the OP, the answer to this debate is simple - if you make a mistake like this then you deserve to be punished. Yes, even if it hurts the team. You are a team, after all, responsible to one another. Is it fair to the team? No. But, it is what it is in my opinion.

Here is how I look at this punishment issue.

If you get a DUI, it very well possibly will cost you:

• 6 months without a license (automatically, even before you are actually convicted)
  • could cost over $10,000 (which includes legal fees and insurance, alcohol counseling...etc)
  • Some people lose their jobs because they can't drive
  • Insurance probably cancels you
  • There is probably more.

Now, the state of Nebraska at one time was even thinking bout lowering the legal BAC to .06.

So.....should someone that registers a .07 or .08 get what is all in the list above?

If we are going to get so strict in this that they are going to have the legal level as low as this, there really needs to be a graduated level of punishment dependent on their BAC level.

Using the speeding example, someone who gets a ticket for driving 5 MPH over the limit doesn't get punished the same way as someone driving 50 MPH over the limit.