OWH: What Recruiting Says About Husker Offense

With QB Gebbia, the recruiting momentum will escalate, I think, rapidly now. Look for several and perhaps half a dozen or so to commit by the end of the spring game. The class will fill pretty fast as good recruits will need to get in line quick or spaces will fill up fast. We have a large number of offers out to a large number of very talented players. It seems to me that this staff will be pretty welcoming to each and all who speak up. Think about it this way: if we offer a 4 or 5 star player and he delays making his choice, his place in this class (which as of now has the potential to be a top 10 or even better class) could be gone. We already appear to have one of our TOP targets in WR and QB. Both are clearly amongst the nation's very best in my view. These coaches will no doubt try to make room if possible but you only have so many spots.

I can't shake this feeling that this all falls apart by signing day. Wish I was more optimistic, I just can't shake that feeling.

With QB Gebbia, the recruiting momentum will escalate, I think, rapidly now. Look for several and perhaps half a dozen or so to commit by the end of the spring game. The class will fill pretty fast as good recruits will need to get in line quick or spaces will fill up fast. We have a large number of offers out to a large number of very talented players. It seems to me that this staff will be pretty welcoming to each and all who speak up. Think about it this way: if we offer a 4 or 5 star player and he delays making his choice, his place in this class (which as of now has the potential to be a top 10 or even better class) could be gone. We already appear to have one of our TOP targets in WR and QB. Both are clearly amongst the nation's very best in my view. These coaches will no doubt try to make room if possible but you only have so many spots.

I can't shake this feeling that this all falls apart by signing day. Wish I was more optimistic, I just can't shake that feeling.

Barring complete meltdown, which I don't expect, I doubt this very much. The staff has close ties with the Calabassas staff, headed by the older Clausen brother (yes, those clausens). I don't see them bailing under his watch.

Barring complete meltdown, which I don't expect, I doubt this very much. The staff has close ties with the Calabassas staff, headed by the older Clausen brother (yes, those clausens). I don't see them bailing under his watch.

Not to mention, KJJ and Gebbia looking to enroll early. Hard to de-commit on signing day if you're already in a lecture hall on campus.

Seriously, there is no reason to doubt! Every reason to be a true believer! The Husker football legend remains deeply etched into the memories of all those football minds over the age of 35 which includes most H.S. coaches and the father, uncles, grandfathers of America's top high school players. Any serious football fan across the country remembers the Husker greats and knows Nebraska for its powerful football teams and dedication of producing academic as well as athletic students. The people are taking notice. They are watching and there is plenty of interest in joining our program. Keep the faith!

Husker fans are simply used to some big recruiting misses (Andrus Peat comes to mind, Odighizuwa.) For reasons mentioned in the posts preceding mine, however, I'm feeling pretty good about our ability to get these guys to sign on the dotted line.

Tommy being set up as the scape goat.

god am i sick and tired of this incessant bullcrap of yours.

You're absolutely right in your first sentence.

Lmao! Yeah, he is absolutely right with his first sentence!

It doesn't look like too many people caught that one. I did, frigging hilarious!! biggrin1.gif biggrin1.gif

In his defense it is clear that people are getting ready to blame TA

That's part of the territory for a QB whether it's justified or not.

The guy has been inconsistent, there's no denying it. Regardless of coach, scheme or experience he has had the same kind of issues throughout his tenure. But he can also shine like the star we crave when he is having a good game. I think his senior season is going to be special.

Exactly. When he's on his game he's a total badass out there. I just wish we saw that same performance every game. I hope you're right about his senior season. I'll keep rooting for the guy even if he stays inconsistent. :)

I think focusing on the pass first is a mistake at Nebraska, and will be Riley's undoing like BC for a couple of reasons

1) it's not the culture here, and the fan base has very little patience for it if you are not winning. Husker fans want to win, so if you are doing that, life is good. But, if you aren't winning while playing a style that doesn't fit the Husker fans' eyes, you have a short leash.

2) weather. You are going to play games it crappy weather in the B1G, that's just part of the deal. If your offense is based on a finesse air game, you will get in trouble

3) recruits. A sustained dynamic passing attack requires many elite players at the skill positions. Those are the players that schools in the Midwest have a tougher time getting on a regular basis. Our natural recruiting area is filled with cornfed bruisers that can move the pile, but not speedsters. Can we get some every now and then? Sure. But, places like Oregon, Clemson, USC, etc. can stock pile 20 of them on their team. If only 5 of those guys work out, they are in great shape. If we only have 5 on our team, we need every single one to pan out.

I really think we need to go the MSU/Stanford route. Through our entire offensive recruiting force around developing a dominant rushing attack. We can do that with Midwest guys. Then, build an efficient passing game around that. Does not need to be dominant.

But, I digress. I do like that Riley has a plan and is sticking to it. I just happen to disagree with the plan.

The Callahan comparissons are only fair when it comes to scheme. Riley is by far a stronger collegiate coach

1) The whole mythos that you HAVE to run to be successful here is just silly. I believe the opposite to be true. If we want to remain average forever then we should never adapt. But growing our traditions is what makes us look more attractive to recruits.

2) Lesson was learned in Illinois last year hopefully.

3) We literally just laned a highly coveted Cali kid at WR....yesterday. Just because everyone is more comfortable recruiting RB's out of Texas doesn't make it a better move.

The staff has their own system in mind and it was not easy to install here. We will see it be more fluent this year. So before denouncing the oro style, lets see where it goes.

My personal preference is definitely run-heavy. But if we start competing nationally again throwing the ball 70%, then so be it.

I think my preference is for a balanced attack. I prefer to keep my opponent guessing as to what is coming next. I know, it's a thing of beauty when you have an offense like the '95 Huskers did. I agree 100%. :) That's just not the offense I would run. :)

Yeah , they're looking down the road when they have an accurate Peyton Manning style passer. I still say the offense has been pretty good and would look far better if not for the hapless defense. Let's concentrate on that instead of trying to figure out how to pull out a 50-49 win.

+1

Totally agree, if you put up 50 points you should not be in a nail biter.

Tommy being set up as the scape goat.

god am i sick and tired of this incessant bullcrap of yours. the players aren't infallible nor are they above criticism. the game is played by young men who if they can't accept the criticism then they probably shouldn't be playing. they don't need to be coddled by someone on a message board they most likely don't read. when they screw up it is on them and there is nothing wrong with pointing that out, especially when praise is heaped on to the player at the same time. learn the difference between constructive criticism and just blaming someone.

You're absolutely right in your first sentence.

This is likely the only time you will ever get a +1 from me.