OWH: What Recruiting Says About Husker Offense

I think focusing on the pass first is a mistake at Nebraska, and will be Riley's undoing like BC for a couple of reasons

1) it's not the culture here, and the fan base has very little patience for it if you are not winning. Husker fans want to win, so if you are doing that, life is good. But, if you aren't winning while playing a style that doesn't fit the Husker fans' eyes, you have a short leash.

2) weather. You are going to play games it crappy weather in the B1G, that's just part of the deal. If your offense is based on a finesse air game, you will get in trouble

3) recruits. A sustained dynamic passing attack requires many elite players at the skill positions. Those are the players that schools in the Midwest have a tougher time getting on a regular basis. Our natural recruiting area is filled with cornfed bruisers that can move the pile, but not speedsters. Can we get some every now and then? Sure. But, places like Oregon, Clemson, USC, etc. can stock pile 20 of them on their team. If only 5 of those guys work out, they are in great shape. If we only have 5 on our team, we need every single one to pan out.

I really think we need to go the MSU/Stanford route. Through our entire offensive recruiting force around developing a dominant rushing attack. We can do that with Midwest guys. Then, build an efficient passing game around that. Does not need to be dominant.

But, I digress. I do like that Riley has a plan and is sticking to it. I just happen to disagree with the plan.

The Callahan comparissons are only fair when it comes to scheme. Riley is by far a stronger collegiate coach

1) The whole mythos that you HAVE to run to be successful here is just silly. I believe the opposite to be true. If we want to remain average forever then we should never adapt. But growing our traditions is what makes us look more attractive to recruits.

2) Lesson was learned in Illinois last year hopefully.

3) We literally just laned a highly coveted Cali kid at WR....yesterday. Just because everyone is more comfortable recruiting RB's out of Texas doesn't make it a better move.

The staff has their own system in mind and it was not easy to install here. We will see it be more fluent this year. So before denouncing the pro style, lets see where it goes.

This is the best post I have seen on this board in a long time. Especially the part that I highlighted.

• Fire 1

"Another 5-7 season will be highly discouraging."

God. That must be a joke from a guy who supported firing two .700+ coaches coming off 9-3 seasons.

Honestly, I blame Steve Pederson for this continuing divide. The amount of slack given is almost exactly proportional to someone's like or dislike of the "Osborne Program."

I don't think it will ever heal.

"Another 5-7 season will be highly discouraging."

God. That must be a joke from a guy who supported firing two .700+ coaches coming off 9-3 seasons.

Honestly, I blame Steve Pederson for this continuing divide. The amount of slack given is almost exactly proportional to someone's like or dislike of the "Osborne Program."

I don't think it will ever heal.

I get that you will never actually grasp the bigger picture so I won't even bother here.

Wasn't a TA a 4 star QB?

People need to stop acting as though he was some hack who could hardly get the ball past the line of scrimmage.

Nobody is effing saying that!!! Where do you comeup with this crap? For the fiftieth time he was just recruited for a different system, was undercoached by the previous staff and is now doing his damndest to be the best he can be given the difficult circumstannces.

• Fire 4

In his defense it is clear that people are getting ready to blame TA

That's part of the territory for a QB whether it's justified or not.

The guy has been inconsistent, there's no denying it. Regardless of coach, scheme or experience he has had the same kind of issues throughout his tenure. But he can also shine like the star we crave when he is having a good game. I think his senior season is going to be special.

• Fire 2

The guy has been inconsistent, there's no denying it. Regardless of coach, scheme or experience he has had the same kind of issues throughout his tenure. But he can also shine like the star we crave when he is having a good game. I think his senior season is going to be special.

He is actually be super consistent...for 3 seasons it has been pretty much the same.

• Fire 1

He is actually be super consistent...for 3 seasons it has been pretty much the same.

Consistently inconsistent

This is about as fair as a description as I've seen on this board and it's completely accurate. +1

• Fire 1

That awful talent actually beat the B10 champion this year.

I don't think anyone is saying we have awful talent. What most are saying or implying is that we will not consistently on a weekly basis be able to compete with the likes of Ohio State, Michigan, or even Michigan State with 20-25 talent and a second year coach. We have enough talent on the team to knock off one of the big boys once in a while. We don't have enough talent on the team with a new coaching staff to knock off all the big boys in a single season without an enormous amount of luck.

• Fire 1

#NoBlame

Pull eeze dude. Plenty of blame to go around last year, and it was spread around plenty. Just thinking briefly here I might come up with no blame on 2 coaches, WR and LB, and maybe Jano (and he maybe screwed up and I forgot I stopped counting around game 6 lol). There is definitely blame on Bo too for last year. There can be zero doubt about that. What he left for a roster was not good. I've said it before but if anyone can tell me what year in the last 40 that NU's starting rosters were worse than last year's I'd be all ears. The '16 and '17 drafts will provide more evidence not that it's needed.

So this thread is about....oh yeah recruiting. I like what we're doing so far and it looks like HC Mike is serious to have an elite passing game. Not surprised.

• Fire 2

That awful talent actually beat the B10 champion this year.

I don't think anyone is saying we have awful talent. What most are saying or implying is that we will not consistently on a weekly basis be able to compete with the likes of Ohio State, Michigan, or even Michigan State with 20-25 talent and a second year coach. We have enough talent on the team to knock off one of the big boys once in a while. We don't have enough talent on the team with a new coaching staff to knock off all the big boys in a single season without an enormous amount of luck.

On paper, NU has recruited as well or better than MSU. What is the conclusion to be drawn?

Or forget about the "big boys" and let's talk about the Purdues and Illinois's of the world. Or even Iowa, who NU has outrecruited.

#NoBlame

Pull eeze dude. Plenty of blame to go around last year, and it was spread around plenty. Just thinking briefly here I might come up with no blame on 2 coaches, WR and LB, and maybe Jano (and he maybe screwed up and I forgot I stopped counting around game 6 lol). There is definitely blame on Bo too for last year. There can be zero doubt about that. What he left for a roster was not good. I've said it before but if anyone can tell me what year in the last 40 that NU's starting rosters were worse than last year's I'd be all ears. The '16 and '17 drafts will provide more evidence not that it's needed.

So this thread is about....oh yeah recruiting. I like what we're doing so far and it looks like HC Mike is serious to have an elite passing game. Not surprised.

The "current accounted for attrition" ranking of last year's roster was like 22nd in the nation. Please stop repeating "the roster was not good."