Newby Looks for Healthy, Productive Season

I could be fooling myself, but I thought Newby ran a little tougher in the last couple of games. I guess I could go back and look at films to see if that is for real or wishful thinking

As for Imani Cross, there were some touchdowns where it was him against the entire defense and he ended up on the other side of the goal line. It's hard to rack up big yardage when your specialty is third and goal from the 4 yard line. :box

I completely forgot about Newby rolling his ankle early on. Because against Minnesota, for example, he showed great straight-line speed on the long TD run. I hope he runs hard this year. I still don't remember seeing him lower his body and shoulder (with the ball) and don't know if that will ever be a part of his game. Ameer was similar in size, maybe more muscular, but probably spoiled us by doing more in short yardage out of nothing, the same way Rex did before him. That's the part of the game that I hope Newby embraces this season. Anyone, or, most backs, can run fast for days without contact. So he needs to bring more to the table than just that (running the ball). He is really, really good catching it and does a good job blocking. But it's time to be a great runner now that it's his senior season. Wishing him success.

I used to be bullish on Newby, but he's provne to be soft, can't break a tackle to save his life. Contrast that with Ozigbo, the ground and pound guy.

Newby, give him a crease, get him on the edge and he can do some damage with his speed, but not an every down back.

My comment will be comparing apples to oranges, but Newby and Martinez are very similar runners (Martinez MUCH faster). My huge knock on Martinez was no waggle and would get knocked down at first contact. Newly seems to run the same way IMO. Upright, goes down at first contact. not a lot of waggle to make guys miss.

I really hope for the best for him. Maybe another year with Phillips, better OL play and more understanding of the system will help. The odd thing, IIRC, was that Newby got the knock as he was better at pass pro and picking up the blitz. Obviously a strong kid, not afraid of contact and is acknowledged of being a better blocker than the other backs..... So he can take a hit.

I used to be bullish on Newby, but he's provne to be soft, can't break a tackle to save his life. Contrast that with Ozigbo, the ground and pound guy.

Newby, give him a crease, get him on the edge and he can do some damage with his speed, but not an every down back.

My comment will be comparing apples to oranges, but Newby and Martinez are very similar runners (Martinez MUCH faster). My huge knock on Martinez was no waggle and would get knocked down at first contact. Newly seems to run the same way IMO. Upright, goes down at first contact. not a lot of waggle to make guys miss.

I really hope for the best for him. Maybe another year with Phillips, better OL play and more understanding of the system will help. The odd thing, IIRC, was that Newby got the knock as he was better at pass pro and picking up the blitz. Obviously a strong kid, not afraid of contact and is acknowledged of being a better blocker than the other backs..... So he can take a hit.

Newby is lacking the talent of a really good RB...........in the open field he is better, everywhere else he is just ok, he appears to have reached his peak, as has TA........neither one are bad players, just lacking some skills and execution......its all good.

Newby is lacking the talent of a really good RB...........in the open field he is better, everywhere else he is just ok, he appears to have reached his peak, as has TA........neither one are bad players, just lacking some skills and execution......its all good.

^Agree

I think Ozigbo won the starting job after his impressive UCLA ground and pound performance.

When I found out we got both Newby and Taylor I was very excited to see this tandem wreck defensive lines. It is sad to see that neither has turned out to be the elite running backs we thought they could become. Still holding out hope that Newby can turn a corner and come out strong, but we shall see.

Either way we need him or one of the other backs to be serviceable enough to open up our passing attack.

When I found out we got both Newby and Taylor I was very excited to see this tandem wreck defensive lines. It is sad to see that neither has turned out to be the elite running backs we thought they could become. Still holding out hope that Newby can turn a corner and come out strong, but we shall see.

Either way we need him or one of the other backs to be serviceable enough to open up our passing attack.

I've become really impressed with Ozigbo as an every down back. Barry Sanders, pro style body build, 5'11", 225lb pounder with some shake and bake and a bit of a burst, reads blocks real well, runs over people.

Still waiting for A Taylor, hopefully he will make some noise this year. Seems injury prone, unfortunately.