The Panama Papers

I'm not sure if their are many Americans on here. All I've seen of note so far is the head of iceland, Lionel Messi, and a bunch of middle easterners. Maybe they gave priority to those names since it was mostly Europeans doing the digging, but you'd think they'd want to rub America's face in it any chance they got. I was going to post this when it first went live yesterday, but the fact that there were no Americans kind of deterred me.

There was also a rather large leak of oil company emails exposing wide scale bribery and corruption ... Which... no one seems to care about...http://www.theage.com.au/interactive/2016/the-bribe-factory/day-1/the-company-that-bribed-the-world.html

A massive leak of confidential documents has for the first time exposed the true extent of corruption within the oil industry, implicating dozens of leading companies, bureaucrats and politicians in a sophisticated global web of bribery and graft.

After a six-month investigation across two continents, Fairfax Media and The Huffington Post can reveal that billions of dollars of government contracts were awarded as the direct result of bribes paid on behalf of firms including British icon Rolls-Royce, US giant Halliburton, Australias Leighton Holdings and Korean heavyweights Samsung and Hyundai

From the quote in my original post.

(the U.S. was oddly missing from the initial reporting, though journalists vow that will change shortly).

Oops! You know I don't have time to read an entire article BRB.

Somewhere I saw this morning that someone claimed there was going to be a list of around 1,000 US companies disclosed. Now, I can't find a link.

The law firm at the hub of a global financial scandal has links to more than 1,000 U.S. companies, formed mostly in Nevada and Wyoming since 2001, but appears to have largely escaped the scrutiny of U.S. financial regulators — at least in public.

Link

A point should be made about the difference between illegal evasion and legal avoidance but I'm not going to disrupt the first bipartisan witch hunt in years... Well, second behind the drug war.

Something tells me that we won't be seeing heavy penalties for the wealthy Americans involved in this. Or any penalties. :dunno:

I'm not sure what penalty you are looking for. The article clearly says what almost all of them are doing is not illegal.

What would be a good thing though is if this leak caused change in actual policy.

I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for it though.

This is like so not news. Everybody except the MSM has known about this tax evasion stuff for years, whether it be via Panama, Caymon Isls, Switzerland, etc etc. Cypress' economy was based on tax havens/money laundering, til the thing went belly up and basically brought the country down. What the hell people think Bernie has campaigning about all this time? The mega rich want all the benefits fo doing biz in the good ol' USA w/o having to foot their fair share of the tab--talk about "free stuff", they are the major recipients, by far, of "free stuff".