New Orleans

How exactly is this not raising standards of living?

Starting point: Everyone in the family unemployed. Industry isn't moving into the area. Crime is rampant and kids don't have anything else to do so they start following around older kids committing those crimes and start doing them also.

NOW.....take that area and tell industry....hey....if you move there, we will allow you to start these employees below minimum wage and in certain jobs where it is safe and they can continue their education, we will allow you to employ kids at 10 years old.

We will not decrease the government services (up to a certain income level earned outside the home) to those people so that every dollar they earn, goes directly to increasing the income level of the household.

I fail to see how that decreases their standard of living.

I gotta problem with 10 yr olds working in industry for crap wages, sorry, not a good standard for me, but I realize you are a profit guy. Why not make it 6-8 yr olds? Where's it stop? But there is still a ways to go if US inner cities are going to attract industry whilst competing with Mexico, China, India, Malaysia, etc etc. To me, your idea of child labor and very crappy wages in industry harkins images of Dickins' England, or today's 3rd world countries: race to the bottom. In case you hadn't noticed, the fight for $15 is the way things are headed in the USA.

What needs to happen is labor/wage standards need to rise globally, but the capitalists no likey that, they hate that.

Starting point: Everyone in the family unemployed. Industry isn't moving into the area. Crime is rampant and kids don't have anything else to do so they start following around older kids committing those crimes and start doing them also.

NOW.....take that area and tell industry....hey....if you move there, we will allow you to start these employees below minimum wage and in certain jobs where it is safe and they can continue their education, we will allow you to employ kids at 10 years old.

We will not decrease the government services (up to a certain income level earned outside the home) to those people so that every dollar they earn, goes directly to increasing the income level of the household.

I gotta problem with 10 yr olds working in industry, sorry, not a good standard for me, but I realize you are a profit guy. Still got a ways to go if US inner cities are going to attract industry whilst competing with Mexico, China, India, Malaysia, etc etc. But, to me, your idea of child labor and very crappy wages in industry harkens images of Dickins' England, or today's 3rd world countries: race to the bottom. In case you hadn't noticed, the fight for $15 is the way things are headed in the USA.

10 year olds aren't going to be working in factories. Maybe you don't know any 10 year olds, but they simply aren't productive enough to get those jobs.

And, for all the awful feelings about 1800s England, people were being pulled out of poverty and things were getting safer at record rates.

You keep saying race to the bottom, but again, when we allow that, we see the bottom rising, not sinking.

How is that a bad thing? How do we force people to be productive at $16 an hour if their good or service simply doesn't demand that price???

I gotta problem with 10 yr olds working in industry, sorry, not a good standard for me, but I realize you are a profit guy. Why not make it 6-8 yr olds? Where's it stop? But there is still a ways to go if US inner cities are going to attract industry whilst competing with Mexico, China, India, Malaysia, etc etc. To me, your idea of child labor and very crappy wages in industry harkins images of Dickins' England, or today's 3rd world countries: race to the bottom. In case you hadn't noticed, the fight for $15 is the way things are headed in the USA.

What needs to happen is labor/wage standards need to rise globally, but the capitalists no likey that, they hate that.

Sooo....increasing the income coming into the household is decreasing the standard of living.

Interesting.

And this talk of putting teenagers to work as a fix to poverty, is ludicrous But it would maybe limit their energy to be out committing crimes. But so would school and school activities.

Nobody is putting kids to work that don't want to work or that their family doesn't want them to work. And, nobody is talking about forcing them to do labor that is dangerous or harmful to them.

The bolded part is true though. If the kid is at a job, he isn't out causing trouble. And, he is also learning a skill and how to work in a work environment. School activities only go so far in a poverty area. If the household needs food on the table and the adults in the family don't have jobs and have turned to selling drugs, guess what the kid is going to be doing? He isn't going to be going to the Chess club meeting. He is going to be working a street corner somewhere selling more meth.

Now...take that family and allow them to work in a legitimate job and also allow that kid to do the same (within appropriate parameters) and it could be a win win.

Industrial labor is generally dangerous, you know, that's why they have OSHA and is also why workers tend to want to form unions.

I really think at the heart of poverty/crime issue is the breakdown of the family which leads to poverty which leads to crime.

I agree that it's a factor, but it's a chicken or egg thing. Why are a lot of poor families broken up? Often it's an unplanned pregnancy. Sometimes it's someone just bailing. Sometimes it's because of arrest for a low level offense like drug possession.

We can't mandate responsible behavior in that regard. All we can do is break down the things that drive people toward irresponsible behavior and quit financing it when it does occur (a tricky proposition when kids are involved).

Honestly, this was sent into motion when women began entering the workforce as full time employees.

And this talk of putting teenagers to work as a fix to poverty, is ludicrous But it would maybe limit their energy to be out committing crimes. But so would school and school activities.

Nobody is putting kids to work that don't want to work or that their family doesn't want them to work. And, nobody is talking about forcing them to do labor that is dangerous or harmful to them.

The bolded part is true though. If the kid is at a job, he isn't out causing trouble. And, he is also learning a skill and how to work in a work environment. School activities only go so far in a poverty area. If the household needs food on the table and the adults in the family don't have jobs and have turned to selling drugs, guess what the kid is going to be doing? He isn't going to be going to the Chess club meeting. He is going to be working a street corner somewhere selling more meth.

Now...take that family and allow them to work in a legitimate job and also allow that kid to do the same (within appropriate parameters) and it could be a win win.

Industrial labor is generally dangerous, you know, that's why they have OSHA and is also why workers tend to want to form unions.

Sooo....it's dangerous for a 10 -12 year old to wash dishes, mop a floor, stuff envelopes, run a cash register, mow grass....

I really think at the heart of poverty/crime issue is the breakdown of the family which leads to poverty which leads to crime.

I agree that it's a factor, but it's a chicken or egg thing. Why are a lot of poor families broken up? Often it's an unplanned pregnancy. Sometimes it's someone just bailing. Sometimes it's because of arrest for a low level offense like drug possession.

We can't mandate responsible behavior in that regard. All we can do is break down the things that drive people toward irresponsible behavior and quit financing it when it does occur (a tricky proposition when kids are involved).

Honestly, this was sent into motion when women began entering the workforce as full time employees.

Oh boy.

People that live in poverty and commit crimes need to change their mindsets before any of it will get better. We can sit here and discuss ways to improve the situations but it wont matter or work if the affected people don't want to change. Those that commit crimes, such as robbery, do so because they probably find it easier to obtain money that way instead of working.

Oh boy.

I know, right? But I can qualify this statement with saying I am a women and I deeply regret working while my child is in elementary school. I think I missed the message that family and children should be first, not material possessions or my personal career goals. It all seems selfish and misguided now.

OK Corn.....let me ask you this.

If you don't like the ideas I have come up with, how do you increase the number of jobs available to these people in Nola?

NOLA hasn't recovered as much from the big oil spill down there either, despite BP propaganda.

But it's not just NOLA, it's about all US inner cities. I dunno, the US economy has contracted and left large sectors of the population more or less out of the loop. Look at all the angry blue collar mostly white guys voting for Trump. The thing's gone global and I was talking just yesterday with a retired former corporate CFO who spent his career helping direct the move of various factories overseas, like he's a "bad guy", but he basically said as long as there are lower taxes and super cheap labor abroad, the Co.s will just keep moving out of the country. If you want USA industrial standards to resemble that of Mexico or India, then sure, maybe industry will stay here.

I guess one could imagine some vast investment in small business in the cities, but there is 'red lining' practices in black communities to this day. Public school systems are under funded, yada yada.

Bernie's whole thing is to reverse the corporate greed trend and make them pay their fair share, like FDR did back in the day, but I'm not sure that's possible anymore, in would take an about face of the corporate mentality.

:dunno