Listening to Bennings Description of His Interview with Langs

I would think that if Solich was a great coach outside of riding TO's coattails for a few years he would have got another crack at major college football at some point.

Solich was 59/60 when he was fired. That year and the next, there were very "major college" options open, so he took a job that was a good geographic fit for him and his family. And somewhere that he had the opportunity to build something, a stated desire for him.

Most major programs don't hire coaches who are close to drawing social security, at least for the first time, for obvious reasons having little to do with coaching prowess. That was especially true in the early to mid-2000s where a serious youth movement was afoot.

Looking back at the list of p5 hires between '04 and '05, I imagine many ADs are kicking themselves (usually in the unemployment line).

P.S. We don't really even know if he's gotten interest that he's turned down during that time. Would he leave what he has in Athens for a bottom 1/3 p5 school? I wouldn't.

You spew this web spinning and it's okay, yet when the optimists start talking up the great recruiting efforts you instantly jump all over it saying it's not any better than Frank Solich recruiting.

How many P5 schools have hired a 62+ year old coach during the past 20 years?

I won't even ask you to except rehires and coaches who hadn't just been fired and were subject of an AD smear campaign used to "justify" the idiotic firing.

So he was "too old" to hire to another P5 school, but we were stupid to fire him? Mmmmmmmmkay

And I'll save you the trouble, he wasn't too old to fire here because he had already established himself here right?

Pederson screwed the poosh in a lot of ways. Again, time to get over it.

I love how when we fire coaches for not winning championships or "the games that matter", which were all explicitly stated by the responsible ADs, we like to pretend it's based on some rumor or innuendo.

We know that's a fiction, because if said coach had won a championship, he wouldn't have been fired.

And if they really did want to fire those coaches for supposed off the field issues that justified termination, they are hypocritical, sellouts who have no integrity if they wouldn't have pulled that trigger no matter what.

Even if Bo Pelini's '09 squad wins that Texas game and gives us a trophy, Bo still gets canned for calling ADSE a *****.
Is that why he was fired?

That is a reversal of chronology I hadn't heard before.

The point is Bo butting heads with ADSE is what got him canned, don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about.

And in the end, i think we'll find out that was more of a Perlman and Eichorst problem than a Bo problem, though he didn't handle their crap well.

Apparantely "didn't handle THEIR crap well" means ignoring recruiting, hiring yes men buddies, ranting and raving about our fans on secret recordings, instilling a venomous atmosphere among players and goating the AD to FIRE HIM after an ugly loss.

• Fire 1

I love how when we fire coaches for not winning championships or "the games that matter", which were all explicitly stated by the responsible ADs, we like to pretend it's based on some rumor or innuendo.

We know that's a fiction, because if said coach had won a championship, he wouldn't have been fired.

And if they really did want to fire those coaches for supposed off the field issues that justified termination, they are hypocritical, sellouts who have no integrity if they wouldn't have pulled that trigger no matter what.

Even if Bo Pelini's '09 squad wins that Texas game and gives us a trophy, Bo still gets canned for calling ADSE a *****.

The point is Bo butting heads with ADSE is what got him canned, don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about.

Perhaps there would have been less head butting had Bo won a "game that mattered". Or was the agenda of SE/HP to fire Bo no matter what; is that what you are saying?

And in the end, i think we'll find out that was more of a Perlman and Eichorst problem than a Bo problem, though he didn't handle their crap well.
Apparantely "didn't handle THEIR crap well" means ignoring recruiting, hiring yes men buddies, ranting and raving about our fans on secret recordings, instilling a venomous atmosphere among players and goating the AD to FIRE HIM after an ugly loss.

Interesting hyperbolic mischaracterization of what actually happened. You sound venomous. Is it Bo's fault?

Ignoring recruiting? Are you kidding me? He must have been a hell of a coach then.

The fictions you folks invent would be fine with me if they didn't consistently imply you think our players are crap.

Perhaps there would have been less head butting had Bo won a "game that mattered". Or was the agenda of SE/HP to fire Bo no matter what; is that what you are saying?
You honestly think he wasn't rubbing them the wrong way for a couple years?

I'm not getting into a friggin Bo debate with you, I defended the guy for 6.5 years for crying out loud. Everytime he pissed on the fans or his bosses, everytime he compiled a so-so recruting class, everytime he let us get destroyed on national TV.

He was fired for a sh**ty record VS ranked teams

He was fired for an 0-3 record in title games

he was fired for being a dick to his bosses

He was fired for his reluctannce to make necessary changes

Ignoring recruiting? Are you kidding me? He must have been a hell of a coach then.

The fictions you folks invent would be fine with me if they didn't consistently imply you think our players are crap.

The bullsh#t you infer, not saying our players were crap. But if you honestly think he was putting forth full effort it's no wonder you are so blindsided by better recruiting.

You honestly think he wasn't rubbing them the wrong way for a couple years?

I'm not getting into a friggin Bo debate with you, I defended the guy for 6.5 years for crying out loud. Everytime he pissed on the fans or his bosses, everytime he compiled a so-so recruting class, everytime he let us get destroyed on national TV.

He was fired for a sh**ty record VS ranked teams

He was fired for an 0-3 record in title games

he was fired for being a dick to his bosses

He was fired for his reluctannce to make necessary changes

EVERY TIME?

How many times did he piss on the fans or his bosses?

I'm curious what changes he was reluctant to make.

If anything, his tenure was marked by too many assistant coach changes.

Actually, nevermind. Let's keep it on topic, even though that's inconvenient for the "everything is awesome!!!" crowd.

Everything is NOT awesome!

We sucked last year! We blew game after game! Players still loyal to Bo left and continue to leave, contributors! The new system isn't "Nebraska" enough for most people! This year may not be very good either!

Here's the thing. I can look at the state of our program and actually envision something bigger and grander for the first time in like 5 years. Sorry you can't.