Listening to Bennings Description of His Interview with Langs

actually, this was supposed to be about lang's offensive identity, or lack thereof.

But I get why people want to deflect to the "intangibles" of recruiting national championships.

YOU WERE THE ONE WHO BROUGHT THE 2011 CLASS UP IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!

It was brought up in response to whining about me supposedly critical of MR and his staff's recruiting. Go back and read the thread.

While you're at it, observe that no one has been able to explain Langs and his offensive philosophy. So, instead of talking about the thread topic, most have made this about my supposed dislike of Mike Riley and my supposed non-understanding of how offense works.

You want to take a shot and offer an opinion of Lang's system? Or will you continue your deflections?

• Fire 2

I don't dislike Riley. I like him. If he achieved the same level of success as Bo and Frank, I'll be happy and won't advocate his dismissal.

I don't think his system puts NU in the best position to win championships. His coaching experience is bereft of American football championships. While he did some good things at OSU, there's not a lot of evidence he can take NU to the level fans demand.

I think in 3 to 5 years we'll be starting over again, and that's a bad thing for nebraska fans.

But, unlike so many of the Bo haters, none of my doubts or criticisms are based on a personal dislike of the man.

You've been fairly reasonable the last few days and it's appreciated.

But you're on record as advocating for Mike Riley's immediate dismissal. And you haven't seemed particularly happy with anything most Husker fans consider good news.

As for your last statement: the main difference between you and the Bo haters might be that Mike Riley is easy to like, and Bo easy hate.

Just a thought.

I think Mike and Bo are likable for the exact same reason: they have their priorities right when it comes to coaching. There are more similarities in the core values of Mike and Bo than many realize or admit. I never took anything Bo did as personally insulting or embarrassing, which is probably why I don't hate him. Maybe it's some life experiences, but his demeanor never bothered me at all.

Anyway, I've, on rare occasion (maybe once?), mused that we should have fired him and gotten an up and coming coach who was more dynamic offensively. In reality, I don't think NU can or would fire a coach after just a year or two, no matter how bad the results.

The reason I said, pretty much in jest, that we should fire Mike and hire Frost is that I think Frost has the potential, due to his experience, system and knowledge, to be a top 10 type coaching talent. I don't see that potential in Riley at this point.

People will get mad about this because many view NU as a top coaching destination, but I don't think many top 10 coaching talents will be interested in taking jobs in Lincoln. We need to jump on the potential when we have the opportunity.

As it stands, NU will likely miss the window on hiring Frost and even if Coach Riley has solid success, we will be left struggling to find his replacement.

That's how the Ath Dep put us in a major pickle.

p.s., about me being happy about recent news, which I guess refers to recruiting stuff, I'd challenge you to find anywhere ever that I celebrated the verbal commitment of a recruit under any staff. It's not because of some Riley bias that I'm not slobbering over the "verbal commitment" of a 17 yo who's touted as the next Rozier/Rodgers/Frazier/Wistrom/Shields. I see too much of that excitement based on the "see! now we're are going to get some ACTUALLY GOOD players in here nad things will turn around!!"

It's a specious argument and based on nothing more than paper tiger hope. So I avoid partaking. But, I'm certainly not disappointed when ANY kid commits to playing for Nebraska.

I like you cm. I think if I was drinkin a beer w you and takin Cornhusker ball, we'd high five and laugh and agree on a bunch of stuff.

I think, and I'll ask you to assess yourself..you say yourself it took Osborne 30 years to perfect a weather/StateHood/proper mentality offense to win in Lincoln. Years and years to actually "win it"!!

So...if any given coach has at max 4-7 years to do something really positive and win a 'ship or compete for a certain acceptable ranking...(and I actually agree w you to an extent) how can HCMR prove to you that he's on his way in his given 4-7 yrs?

I mean, progress was had late last year, he's pulling in, on paper good recruits, he's very mannered and aware of his place, and has a limited time to do "all things right, plus win".

So after having said that...would you rather him be laying a foundation of a return to a TO style system (OL, Blackshirt, great IB, competent QB who runs the option/play action, and highly executing team) OR are u willing to give HCMR a chance to install and win his way? W his players his system and his philosophies? Is he laying a ground work, or losing ground?

• Fire 1

I'm not the one who's advocated firing Riley or any other coach for a lack of championships. If he wins as much as Frank and Bo did, he can stay as long as he wants.

This discussion is just about whether the system he runs is one that is likely to result in the coveted championships that we've fired two good coaches in our chase for.

Really, it's not even that broad. I'm just mainly curious what Nebraska's offense even is and whether or not it's even interesting to watch.

Personally, I think if he's going to try to install the traditional WCO he's apparently mostly employed as a coach, NU will be losing ground during the next few years. But hopefully we'll at least stay in the top 30. Because dropping below that level could end the program as weve known it.

• Fire 3

actually, this was supposed to be about lang's offensive identity, or lack thereof.

But I get why people want to deflect to the "intangibles" of recruiting national championships.

It was brought up in response to whining about me supposedly critical of MR and his staff's recruiting. Go back and read the thread.

While you're at it, observe that no one has been able to explain Langs and his offensive philosophy. So, instead of talking about the thread topic, most have made this about my supposed dislike of Mike Riley and my supposed non-understanding of how offense works.

You want to take a shot and offer an opinion of Lang's system? Or will you continue your deflections?

You brought it up as "proof" recruiting wasn't any better. Then your theory got slapped around and you started getting pissy about the topic. Go back and read the thread.

I'm not a coach or a player so no I cannot and won't try. But those who are familiar in the subject have done just that yet you refuse to listen to anything other than your own stubborn ideals.

• Fire 1

I'm not the one who's advocated firing Riley or any other coach for a lack of championships. If he wins as much as Frank and Bo did, he can stay as long as he wants.

This discussion is just about whether the system he runs is one that is likely to result in the coveted championships that we've fired two good coaches in our chase for.

Really, it's not even that broad. I'm just mainly curious what Nebraska's offense even is and whether or not it's even interesting to watch.

Personally, I think if he's going to try to install the traditional WCO he's apparently mostly employed as a coach, NU will be losing ground during the next few years. But hopefully we'll at least stay in the top 30. Because dropping below that level could end the program as weve known it.

Who hurt you?

is this a thread about recruiting? I swear the title says something about Damon Benning (who sucks) and Danny Langsdorf.

no....its a thread about how our coaches suck and how they are doomed since they are not following the exact blueprint that was drawn up by Tom.

• Fire 1

You brought it up as "proof" recruiting wasn't any better. Then your theory got slapped around and you started getting pissy about the topic. Go back and read the thread.

I'm not a coach or a player so no I cannot and won't try. But those who are familiar in the subject have done just that yet you refuse to listen to anything other than your own stubborn ideals.

No. I didn't. I brought it up as an example of how hype doesn't mean much in April.

And what Guy and others have done is offer general claims about multiplicity.

None have offered any specific discussion about Langs, his system or his philosophy.

• Fire 1

I get irritated by the way Benning constantly makes these cryptic sounding comments about some super top secret information that he's just not able to share. I guess that's his way of feeling important, but it's pretty annoying. I like hearing about the good old days in the 90's as much as any Husker fan. But every current situation doesn't need to be compared or related in some horribly contrived way to something that happened back then.

No. I didn't. I brought it up as an example of how hype doesn't mean much in April.

And what Guy and others have done is offer general claims about multiplicity.

None have offered any specific discussion about Langs, his system or his philosophy.

I can promise you right now that this class blows the 2011 class outta the water, stop down playing it.

And you have?

Hilarious. That's the sort of arrogance Nebraska fans are fast becoming infamous for.

I get it, you're all jaded and emo because your boy(s) got canned. And you were a player and played a different way. And you like TO's way of doing things.

But dude, get off your high horse and embrace a little change. If it ends up being for the better, what was the harm. Ya gotta break a couple eggs to make an omelette.

no....its a thread about how our coaches suck and how they are doomed since they are not following the exact blueprint that was drawn up by Tom.

I'd say it is kind of sad how some disrespect Osborne's input and wisdom and justify a career .500 guy.

wtf are you talking about?

He's throwing turds again. He doesn't like Riley and his staff and he HATES Riley's offense. Apparently he thinks Osborne is a deity and is the only one who knows the correct way to play football at Nebraska.

I think that about covers it. I hope I haven't forgotten anything. biggrin1_zps29b9b8bf.gif

• Fire 2