Listening to Bennings Description of His Interview with Langs

Frank was not cut out to be the head coach at a program like Nebraska. He's found a position more suitable to his skillset. So in the end it worked out well for everyone. But when Osborne retired, there should have been a national seatch for a replacement.

Really not worth getting into this again, but why completely blow up a NC staff because the HC retired? That would have been insane.

• Fire 1

Frank was not cut out to be the head coach at a program like Nebraska. He's found a position more suitable to his skillset. So in the end it worked out well for everyone. But when Osborne retired, there should have been a national seatch for a replacement.

Really not worth getting into this again, but why completely blow up a NC staff because the HC retired? That would have been insane.

More or less insane than promoting someone who was a good coordinator but not ready to lead a program of this caliber? Promoting from within only makes sense if you have the right candidate who is ready to go. Solich was not that guy.

More or less insane than promoting someone who was a good coordinator but not ready to lead a program of this caliber? Promoting from within only makes sense if you have the right candidate who is ready to go. Solich was not that guy.

frank was toms hand picked replacement.

I would highly suggest that anyone remotely interested in this topic listen to last week's OWH Pick Six podcast.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/pick-six-podcast-nu-s-identity-on-offense-armstrong-s/article_ae9e16a4-0678-11e6-8b05-9fca310911ca.html

Sam and Jon had a very interesting discussion about this very thing.

At about the 15:00 minute mark, Jon makes a great point.

That discussion is very much what I've been trying to get at.

Thanks for posting.

• Fire 1

Oh, so you are probably among those who wanted stoops.... A good coordinator who hadn't run a program yet.

Solich was and is a great coach. The best NU has had since he was hired. Firing him after he reshaped his staff in '03 was stupid. Hiring in him '98 was smart.

• Fire 1

Hilarious. That's the sort of arrogance Nebraska fans are fast becoming infamous for.

I get it, you're all jaded and emo because your boy(s) got canned. And you were a player and played a different way. And you like TO's way of doing things.

But dude, get off your high horse and embrace a little change. If it ends up being for the better, what was the harm. Ya gotta break a couple eggs to make an omelette.

You couldn't be more wrong about the system I ran. It's because I saw it waste talent that I'm jaded.

And it's the "fire and forget" attitude of jack wagons like Pederson that got us into this mess.

Well, as long as we are confirming your bias. Now we can agree that maybe you don't have proper aspect to fairly judge what the staff does or soesn't do.

Say dipsh*t Pederson doesn't fire Solich. Over the next 3 seasons we slip to 8-4 or 7-5 and eventually have to fire him anyway. Can I prove it? No, but there were no indications that things were going to get better. Judging Riley after 1 year here is completely different.

False
Have to agree here. Defense had improved a lot after 1 year with Pelini and things looked on the upswing.

But why are we pretending it was only wins and losses that got Solich fired?

Defense wasn't the only issue under Frank, recruiting was pretty uninspiring. We know what Bo does with uninspired recruiting.

Frank's recruiting was better than anything we've seen since then.

How funny this statement will be come 2017!!!

Hilarious. That's the sort of arrogance Nebraska fans are fast becoming infamous for.

I get it, you're all jaded and emo because your boy(s) got canned. And you were a player and played a different way. And you like TO's way of doing things.

But dude, get off your high horse and embrace a little change. If it ends up being for the better, what was the harm. Ya gotta break a couple eggs to make an omelette.

You couldn't be more wrong about the system I ran. It's because I saw it waste talent that I'm jaded.

And it's the "fire and forget" attitude of jack wagons like Pederson that got us into this mess.

Well, as long as we are confirming your bias. Now we can agree that maybe you don't have proper aspect to fairly judge what the staff does or soesn't do.

Say dipsh*t Pederson doesn't fire Solich. Over the next 3 seasons we slip to 8-4 or 7-5 and eventually have to fire him anyway. Can I prove it? No, but there were no indications that things were going to get better. Judging Riley after 1 year here is completely different.

False
Have to agree here. Defense had improved a lot after 1 year with Pelini and things looked on the upswing.

But why are we pretending it was only wins and losses that got Solich fired?

Defense wasn't the only issue under Frank, recruiting was pretty uninspiring. We know what Bo does with uninspired recruiting.
Frank's recruiting was better than anything we've seen since then.

How funny this statement will be come 2017!!!

Why, is staff going to land 3 or 4 top 10/15 classes by 2017, which is what frank did at Nebraska (and he had a 14th ranked class when he was fired in November).
  • Fire 2

Didn't know our staff has been recruiting for NU for 4 years - I'm saying that this class will finish higher then any year of Franks tenure. That's saying a lot considering Frank was riding on the back of TO's NC's while Riley has had the pleasure of following several years of non championship football at NU. Soon to change!!!

So Riley can't get credit for anything positive becuase he hasn't done it for 3/5 years, however in year one if he doesn't quite have it all into place and the W/L don't go as planned we can jump all over him. Ok, I get it now. Thanks for explaining that backwards thinking!!!

Can't wait til 2019 to see what you come with.....

• Fire 1

So Riley can't get credit for anything positive becuase he hasn't done it for 3/5 years, however in year one if he doesn't quite have it all into place and the W/L don't go as planned we can jump all over him. Ok, I get it now. Thanks for explaining that backwards thinking!!!

Jump all over him?

Is it ok to express concern at all based on this season (and his history)?

Reality is, both the good and bad vibes need to be tempered.

But it didn't mean people can't be encouraged about initial recruiting results or concerned about the topic of this thread, our lack of offensive identity.

• Fire 2

Jump all over him?

Is it ok to express concern at all based on this season (and his history)?

Reality is, both the good and bad vibes need to be tempered.

But it didn't mean people can't be encouraged about initial recruiting results or concerned about the topic of this thread, our lack of offensive identity.

Yes, Jump all over him.

Just remember as you have stated that everything so far is just a "data point" so let's see where the next couple data points are so that we can start to plot a trend for this staff.

Why are you so into this concept of our fans announcing what Langs offensive identity is at NU???. He has had one season of football at NU with 0% of our upperclassmen (players most likely to be on the field) being recruited by this staff. His identify will be obvious in year 3 - until then it will be a blend of what he knows, what he thinks will work at Nebraska and what he has for players that were recruited by a staff that had their own vision.

frank was toms hand picked replacement.

Osborne had a lot of skills as a head coach and then AD. Picking someone else to lead the program was not one of them.