Listening to Bennings Description of His Interview with Langs

I'll add that replacing 27-22 coach who posted two losing seasons during 4 seasons and had an overall losing record in conference play with a .700+ coach who went 38-17 in conference play is another successful coach chosen.

too bad that coach also managed to alienate most the fans, administration, and even some of his players during that run or he would still be coaching here.

• Fire 3

I would think that if Solich was a great coach outside of riding TO's coattails for a few years he would have got another crack at major college football at some point.

Solich was 59/60 when he was fired. That year and the next, there were very "major college" options open, so he took a job that was a good geographic fit for him and his family. And somewhere that he had the opportunity to build something, a stated desire for him.

Most major programs don't hire coaches who are close to drawing social security, at least for the first time, for obvious reasons having little to do with coaching prowess. That was especially true in the early to mid-2000s where a serious youth movement was afoot.

Looking back at the list of p5 hires between '04 and '05, I imagine many ADs are kicking themselves (usually in the unemployment line).

P.S. We don't really even know if he's gotten interest that he's turned down during that time. Would he leave what he has in Athens for a bottom 1/3 p5 school? I wouldn't.

I would think that if Solich was a great coach outside of riding TO's coattails for a few years he would have got another crack at major college football at some point.

Solich was 59/60 when he was fired. That year and the next, there were very "major college" options open, so he took a job that was a good geographic fit for him and his family. And somewhere that he had the opportunity to build something, a stated desire for him.

Most major programs don't hire coaches who are close to drawing social security, at least for the first time, for obvious reasons having little to do with coaching prowess. That was especially true in the early to mid-2000s where a serious youth movement was afoot.

Looking back at the list of p5 hires between '04 and '05, I imagine many ADs are kicking themselves (usually in the unemployment line).

P.S. We don't really even know if he's gotten interest that he's turned down during that time. Would he leave what he has in Athens for a bottom 1/3 p5 school? I wouldn't.

Depends on what the coeds there are like...

It's called a discussion. People complain that TO can't pick coaches. The opposite appears true, based on actual evidence.

Even coach Riley agrees.

For the record I liked Solich. But Frank liked the power the job gave him too much. He let too many things go unattended to. His record was what we want to get back to now. It was beyond the record and you know that, whether you choose to believe that stuff or not is up to you. But lets stop pretending record was why he was fired.

Bo, it was not the record. If we were winning 9 games a year and losing 4 close ones a year, he is probably still here if he gets off his high horse and admits he needs help instead of Yes Men. And maybe he is still here regarldess of that if he just sucks it the hell up and calms the eff down, instilling the toxcicity he did was what ended his tenure.

You sit there day after day preaching what success is based solely off records and history. If Nebraska retains it's strong graduation rate and academic All American numbers while building strong recruiting classes that result in new hardware in the trophy room, I'll be tickled hot pink.

That's kind of a lame excuse.

You spew this web spinning and it's okay, yet when the optimists start talking up the great recruiting efforts you instantly jump all over it saying it's not any better than Frank Solich recruiting.

I love how when we fire coaches for not winning championships or "the games that matter", which were all explicitly stated by the responsible ADs, we like to pretend it's based on some rumor or innuendo.

We know that's a fiction, because if said coach had won a championship, he wouldn't have been fired.

And if they really did want to fire those coaches for supposed off the field issues that justified termination, they are hypocritical, sellouts who have no integrity if they wouldn't have pulled that trigger no matter what.

I love how when we fire coaches for not winning championships or "the games that matter", which were all explicitly stated by the responsible ADs, we like to pretend it's based on some rumor or innuendo.

We know that's a fiction, because if said coach had won a championship, he wouldn't have been fired.

And if they really did want to fire those coaches for supposed off the field issues that justified termination, they are hypocritical, sellouts who have no integrity if they wouldn't have pulled that trigger no matter what.

Even if Bo Pelini's '09 squad wins that Texas game and gives us a trophy, Bo still gets canned for calling ADSE a *****.

Even if Bo Pelini's '09 squad wins that Texas game and gives us a trophy, Bo still gets canned for calling ADSE a *****.

Is that why he was fired?

That is a reversal of chronology I hadn't heard before.

You spew this web spinning and it's okay, yet when the optimists start talking up the great recruiting efforts you instantly jump all over it saying it's not any better than Frank Solich recruiting.

How many P5 schools have hired a 62+ year old coach during the past 20 years?

I won't even ask you to except rehires and coaches who hadn't just been fired and were subject of an AD smear campaign used to "justify" the idiotic firing.

The point is Bo butting heads with ADSE is what got him canned, don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about.

The point is Bo butting heads with ADSE is what got him canned, don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about.

And in the end, i think we'll find out that was more of a Perlman and Eichorst problem than a Bo problem, though he didn't handle their crap well.