Listening to Bennings Description of His Interview with Langs

Admit that? I've proclaimed it.

Let me know of examples where TO implemented a package for one receiver and a different package for another receiver and then put it on his QB to learn all of those permeations.

Let me know if you can identify the "core plays" that Langs runs and builds his offense around.

Taking advantage of alignments and adjusting blocking assignments is much different than what was described re: installing new packages based on what Norv Turner and Kiffen do.

Hey CM, why do you dislike Mike Riley so much?

I know he is bald, and talks real goofy, but he can't help the bald part, it's just genetics...

I don't dislike Riley. I like him. If he achieved the same level of success as Bo and Frank, I'll be happy and won't advocate his dismissal.

I don't think his system puts NU in the best position to win championships. His coaching experience is bereft of American football championships. While he did some good things at OSU, there's not a lot of evidence he can take NU to the level fans demand.

I think in 3 to 5 years we'll be starting over again, and that's a bad thing for nebraska fans.

But, unlike so many of the Bo haters, none of my doubts or criticisms are based on a personal dislike of the man.

• Fire 5

I don't dislike Riley. I like him. If he achieved the same level of success as Bo and Frank, I'll be happy and won't advocate his dismissal.

I don't think his system puts NU in the best position to win championships. His coaching experience is bereft of American football championships. While he did some good things at OSU, there's not a lot of evidence he can take NU to the level fans demand.

I think in 3 to 5 years we'll be starting over again, and that's a bad thing for nebraska fans.

But, unlike so many of the Bo haters, none of my doubts or criticisms are based on a personal dislike of the man.

I can dig that, I feel like the run game was something that really needs to be the focal point of any offense. I wasn't thrilled to see how TA was utilized for most of the season last year. Hopefully this year TA is given more designed plays to use his feet. I think that alone would make teams have to stack the box and open the passing game up a lot.

I can dig that, I feel like the run game was something that really needs to be the focal point of any offense. I wasn't thrilled to see how TA was utilized for most of the season last year. Hopefully this year TA is given more designed plays to use his feet. I think that alone would make teams have to stack the box and open the passing game up a lot.

See? The kid gets it, so why can't MR and DL?

I will say this, I was at the Miami game last year, and I could not wrap my head around why they were throwing the ball on that early down during the OT. It was like we had all the momentum, and than the game which could have been won was decided by unnecisary play calling.

I will say this, I was at the Miami game last year, and I could not wrap my head around why they were throwing the ball on that early down during the OT. It was like we had all the momentum, and than the game which could have been won was decided by unnecisary play calling.

We had all the momentum and came back because Tommy was feeling it throwing the ball...

• Fire 2

He changed is playcalling in reaction to what opponents did all of the time (mentioned an example of that when he exploited MInnesota's attempt to blitz and disrupt the O).

He just didn't install whole packages for certain players or to be used against only certain opponents. He had a system and he fit his guys into it.

I distinctly remember one of the former running backs (might even have been DB) talking about the size of the playbook that they had and how there would be a specific subset of that playbook that they would prepare for each game and that the subset varied. He also said there were formations and plays that were in the playbook that never saw the light of day the whole year long.

• Fire 1

To say that TO and Nebraska didn't tweek the offensive game plan each week or that they didn't design specific plays for certain teams is frankly quite ignorant. The fullback traps that NU ran against Miami in the 94' OB were actually new plays designed to take advantage of the particular alignment that Miami was running. The QB powers that SF was running against Washington were new plays. Now were they built around what NU likedto do and did well, yes they were/.

The first example that popped into my mind was when TO predicted their first play against '95 Colorado would go for a touchdown because he came up with a new way to block it against that specific team and Ahman Green's run went longer than this run-on sentence.
  • Fire 2

Same play, different way of blocking it is much different than what I'm referring to. Using a rarely called but still fundamentally related play is not what I'm referring to.

If he had put in a package to highlight Davison as a receiver and a different one for Baul, we'd be talking more about the same thing. As far as I've read and heard, he didn't subscribe to player specific packages.

Again, I'm not saying the proposed approach is idiotic or unprecedented. Lots of teams try it. New England is good at it. I just question the application in college.

What would we call Langs' "core philosophy" and associated core plays? How would anyone here describe that?

• Fire 1

I would like to see a quote of Mike Riley saying that week to week the system will completley change and packages that the team is unfamiliar with will be added.

I think it's obvious who is reading into something too much.

Not week to week. He said they are borrowing things from Kiffen and Turner that they saw this offseason (e.g., installing new packages of screen plays because Alabama used short perimeter passing against MSU). Langs also specifically said that he's putting in different packages for each of the WRs based on what they do well.

It's an extraordinarily "matchup" driven way of calling an offense versus a "system" based version. Two different philosophies. That's all.

There may be a deeper issue, though, and that is what are RIley's "core plays"? What is Lang's and his offensive philosophy?

I challenge anyone to lay out what those are, and an inability to do so is troubling.

• Fire 4

I would like to see a quote of Mike Riley saying that week to week the system will completley change and packages that the team is unfamiliar with will be added.

I think it's obvious who is reading into something too much.

Not week to week. He said they are borrowing things from Kiffen and Turner that they saw this offseason (e.g., installing new packages of screen plays because Alabama used short perimeter passing against MSU). Langs also specifically said that he's putting in different packages for each of the WRs based on what they do well.

It's an extraordinarily "matchup" driven way of calling an offense versus a "system" based version. Two different philosophies. That's all.

There may be a deeper issue, though, and that is what are RIley's "core plays"? What is Lang's and his offensive philosophy?

I challenge anyone to lay out what those are, and an inability to do so is troubling.

you are the self proclaimed expert. why don't you tell us?

• Fire 2