Smug American Liberalism

While experiences may play a role in the formation of a given person's political perspectives, I believe that whether a given person is politically conservative or conversely 'liberal' is genetic and one is born with a built in bias or tendency to thinking a certain way.

Can't say as I've heard that take on political preference before, whoa....

Anyway, I think the smug liberals are only a little more annoying than the smug conservatives, but, for all practical purposes, it's a toss up.

I have a friend that because he is most passionate about a certain topic and is left leaning (registered democrat). He thinks he's liberal.

Till one day I had to set the record straight and ask him about what he thought about fiscal policy, foreign policy, political correctness, etc...

He thinks conservatively on everything! He's straight up Republican and refuses to accept it. All because he's for the legalization of Weed.

Lol.

I have a friend that because he is most passionate about a certain topic and is left leaning (registered democrat). He thinks he's liberal.

Till one day I had to set the record straight and ask him about what he thought about fiscal policy, foreign policy, political correctness, etc...

He thinks conservatively on everything! He's straight up Republican and refuses to accept it. All because he's for the legalization of Weed.

Lol.

I think there are a lot of people like this on both "sides" who don't realize it.

Although I contend that PC is just a word used when you don't know how to argue with someone and you disagree with them. Being "politically correct" if there's a true meaning to the word and we believe it's a thing, is not Republican nor Democrat. It's just a label used more by Republicans.

I mean, going back to what I said in the transgender bathroom post, it's actually "PC" that we have to use different bathrooms at all and can't just pee together in the woods. But NOOOO we have to protect peoples' damn sensitivities! This country is going to the dogs!!!!1111one

Lol.

I think there are a lot of people like this on both "sides" who don't realize it.

Although I contend that PC is just a word used when you don't know how to argue with someone and you disagree with them. Being "politically correct" if there's a true meaning to the word and we believe it's a thing, is not Republican nor Democrat. It's just a label used more by Republicans.

I mean, going back to what I said in the transgender bathroom post, it's actually "PC" that we have to use different bathrooms at all and can't just pee together in the woods. But NOOOO we have to protect peoples' damn sensitivities! This country is going to the dogs!!!!1111one

You say that like it's a bad thing?

Q14.jpg

Lol.

Or maybe he is a social liberal and fiscal conservative, like a lot of people. Pigeon holing someone to into a single label rarely if ever makes sense. Like knap was trying to get at, it ultimately kills discussion and progress.

• Fire 3

Lol.

Or maybe he is a social liberal and fiscal conservative, like a lot of people. Pigeon holing someone to into a single label rarely if ever makes sense. Like knap was trying to get at, it ultimately kills discussion and progress.

Sounds like he's pigeonholing himself by saying he's liberal.

Lol.

Except he's not a social liberal. Not even close.

Lol.

Well obviously I don't know him, but... if he defines himself as a Democrat because of his stance on weed, then I would think that issue means the most to him. If he were to be defined off of that single issue then it would be a pretty socially "liberal" idea. A lot of people do define their party off of one major issue. For me it's taxes and the budget. I would probably be considered a moderate conservative in reality (but socially liberal), but I disagree with tax cuts for the rich, and want to cut defense spending... so I typically side with the Democrats overall.

Lol.

Well obviously I don't know him, but... if he defines himself as a Democrat because of his stance on weed, then I would think that issue means the most to him. If he were to be defined off of that single issue then it would be a pretty socially "liberal" idea. A lot of people do define their party off of one major issue. For me it's taxes and the budget. I would probably be considered a moderate conservative in reality (but socially liberal), but I disagree with tax cuts for the rich, and want to cut defense spending... so I typically side with the Democrats overall.
I think a lot of Republicans define themselves as Republican because of abortion. That's how my mom was but in the past 12 years the party has annoyed her more and more on many other issues and she hasn't voted for a Republican presidential candidate since '96 or 2000. I also think many of these same Republicans disagree with Democrats because they think they must be evil or crazy due to this one issue.

Lol.

I think a lot of Republicans define themselves as Republican because of abortion. That's how my mom was but in the past 12 years the party has annoyed her more and more on many other issues and she hasn't voted for a Republican presidential candidate since '96 or 2000. I also think many of these same Republicans disagree with Democrats because they think they must be evil or crazy due to this one issue.

Yup I was in a church group in high school and they all thought I was insane for supporting a Democrat over Bush, because... abortion. They couldn't grasp that I don't necessarily agree with it, but it's always going to be around and there are other important issues also.

Lol.

Bingo! I have noticed alot of this kind of stuff lately. It drives me insane because people vote one way or the other on due to issues they care about, but since when is making abortion legal/illegal, or making gay marriage legal/illegal going to make the economy better. In my opinion the american people as a whole are idiotic when it comes to picking leaders.

Look at what we have competing right now for president. Not a single candidate from the left that is worth anything, and we have an arsehat on the right that is catering to the emotional right wing.

Lol.

Yup I was in a church group in high school and they all thought I was insane for supporting a Democrat over Bush, because... abortion. They couldn't grasp that I don't necessarily agree with it, but it's always going to be around and there are other important issues also.

Yes. This. I agree with the church group on the abortion issue, but it's not what should define why you vote for someone.

Moral issues should be left out of the federal government. I believe that those things should be controlled at a state and local level.

A lot of people throw around the "I'm tired of the politically correct BS" as a coded way of saying, "I'm tired of people calling me out on using hurtful/offensive language".

If you're tired of being politically correct, that's fine, I am too, but don't confuse that with an inability or an unwillingness for your language and your behavior to treat people differently than you with dignity.

Why do I never see "Moderate" thrown around? Surely the entire population can't be labeled liberal or conservative. Perhaps a certain forum member can set me straight and explain whether our genetic code allows for this.

Actually, 3.5 billion years of evolution have turned our brains into extremely powerful/efficient pattern recognizing machines. Everything in our natural brain capacity wants to label, categorize, and group things. It takes way more calories and oxygen to fire up the pre-frontal cortex and actually see and treat people like individuals instead of throwing them into camps like conservative and liberal.