Nickerson, Ne and the Cost of Progress

Nickerson - Chicken Plant - Yes or No  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Echoes of the sentiment in Nickerson in this article. There are fewer manufacturing jobs in America every year as corporations move them out of the country for cheap labor. People want jobs, don't want to have to get a college education, but they can't live like their parents did on the kinds of jobs available for a person without a degree - or they're not willing to work those jobs.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/05/04/news/economy/america-left-behind-white-men/index.html

Speaking from the millenial crowd, I'd say the perspective is less about being lazy and more about the following:

1) We all see our grandparents and parents working dead-end jobs (degree or not) and aren't able to financially retire like they were promised, and we don't want that for our lives.

2) Many millenials are live-for-the-moment types who don't care so much about tomorrow and would rather live for today instead.

3) Once we look inside ourselves, spending 35-40 years living for the weekends, working more, and making less than most are worth doesn't sound appealing whatsoever.

I think that sums up my generation's feelings about jobs more than simply being lazy.

Ok...I am not familiar with the area so I had to look up where this town is.

Giving them the benefit of the doubt here is what some there may be thinking.

If these types of plants keep locating in the area, there will be areas developed into nice neighborhoods and housing developments. These will be middle class and up.

Maybe Nickerson would rather be that type of area.

They are 8 miles away from Fremont. Any jobs that open up in Fremont will obviously be there for anyone living in Nickerson.

If these types of plants keep locating in the area, there will be areas developed into nice neighborhoods and housing developments. These will be middle class and up.

They are 8 miles away from Fremont. Any jobs that open up in Fremont will obviously be there for anyone living in Nickerson.

But that could mean driving at least 10-15 minutes to/from work. My mom would consider that a long commute....

But that could mean driving at least 10-15 minutes to/from work. My mom would consider that a long commute....

10-15 minutes????

Oh the madness.