NYT: Obama's gorgeous goodbye

NYT: Obama's Gorgeous Goodbye

In this twilight of his presidency, Barack Obama is unlikely to deliver much in the way of meaningful legislation.

But he’s giving us a pointed, powerful civics lesson.

Really liked this piece. Posted some other coverage of his Howard speech in the Democratic thread but this one's more comprehensive, and the topic is bigger than the election. I think there's something in here for everyone, from cautioning against extremism and spectacle, to criticizing attempts to silence free speech when it's disagreeable.

“We must expand our moral imaginations,” he told black students at Howard, imploring them to recognize “the middle-aged white guy who you may think has all the advantages, but over the last several decades has seen his world upended by economic and cultural and technological change, and feels powerless to stop it. You got to get in his head, too.”

And as the columnist says, I think we can go back and forth over whether Obama's administration has been able to match his rhetoric. I suspect that we may have a less personally likable, but more capable executive in the chair next January. But I think his rhetoric certainly is beautiful, if really basic, and now's an apt time to lend an ear and hear it.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of career Obama has post-presidency. He's viewed much more favorably overseas than at home, much like Carter. Carter ended up being one of America's most accomplished former presidents, and I could see Obama traveling a similar path.

I think history will be far more kind to Obama than his detractors believe. He may be the rock the Republican party ends up breaking on, which would be amazingly poetic.

• Fire 2

Isn't Obama going to rewrite the 22nd amendment so he can continue to serve as President? I saw it numerous times on faceboom?!?!!?!

In all seriousness, it will be interesting to see what he does. I can see him doing something similar to Carter with Habitat for humanity, regardless of how you feel about Obama and his beliefs you can't argue that he has an absolute soft spot for kids.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of career Obama has post-presidency. He's viewed much more favorably overseas than at home, much like Carter. Carter ended up being one of America's most accomplished former presidents, and I could see Obama traveling a similar path.

I think history will be far more kind to Obama than his detractors believe. He may be the rock the Republican party ends up breaking on, which would be amazingly poetic.

Knapp, you bring up a point that I've wondered about. It seems that ex-dem presidents go on (or more properly - "continue") there progressive activity after they leave the WH. Carter has been an activist, so has Clinton. When you think of the Bushes - not so much. They both are more private and do mostly charity related things but not progressing their 'brand' of politics. Of course, Reagan couldn't wt his illness and Nixon couldn't because of his disastrous ending. GWB was so disliked that he had to go into painting..