Best/Worst Case for 2016 Huskers

Worst case - 0-12

Best case - 15-0

While this is true. I always hate these comments. It's like running away from confrontation.

However, 0-12 is more likely than 15-0.

But we all know that NEITHER of those are going to happen. 6-6 to 9-3 is the appropriate range given the issues NU has with new personnel and lets set the record straight and realize that the offense NU put out in the UCLA game is not going to be the staple offense of the 2016 season.

How about most likely best case and most likely worst case?

Luck and injuries play so much into the equation. Royals are a case in point - last year very few injuries, this year EVERYBODY is hurt. Bo's last year had plenty of miracle wins, Reilly had plenty of miracle losses.

It's Riley.

Not Reilly

Thanks

I'm referring to a reported bottom 1/3 of total signees during the past few years. I'll confirm the numbers but signing so few players will have an impact

There are quite a few factors that go into each signing class. Wisconsin suffers little attrition, is well-known for awarding scholarships to walk-ons, a larger number of freshmen take a redshirt year, and the program never over-signs. This skews those senior numbers quite a bit, and it can result in smaller class sizes --- take this recruiting cycle, for example.

The "total signees during the past few years" has not resulted in a diluted on-field product.

I guess we'll all need to wait and see where Wisconsin goes under Cryst

Some may say the same about Riley at Nebraska

Yep.

Just sad for NU to be in "wait and see" mode when it's self-inflicted, unlike what happened at Wisky.

I think Wisconsin will take a hit because (a) they recruited poorly starting in around 2013, at least from a pure numbers perspective, and (b) they don't have Alvarez to keep the reins pulled in on Chryst.

If you look at his years at Pitt, he was very "pro style" oriented, with QBs throwing almost 400 passes during each of his first two seasons (more than 30 attempts per game). And this past year he threw it more than 30 times a game.

Wisconsin recruiting is fine. They consistently rank outside the Top-30, if not Top-40. It is what it always has been, and has seen an uptick under Paul Chryst.

Tom Savage threw nearly 400 passes in 2013 with a very talented Tyler Boyd at WR. Why not take advantage of that? In 2014, with a much-improved James Conner (RB) and OL, Pittsburgh ran the ball over 60% of the time. Again, Paul Chryst adapts to the talent around him. He has done it his entire coaching career, from Oregon State, to Wisconsin, to Pittsburgh.

Joel Stave set school records in pass attempts/completions in 2015 because Corey Clement was sidelined. His backups? A converted defensive back, a converted linebacker, and a freshman (RS). It's no wonder why Wisconsin threw the ball so much!

Many teams, including most of the best teams, are able to feature quarterbacks who throw 30 or more attempts a game while still maintaining a robust rushing attack.

As I recall, Melvin Gordon ran wild in a season where Stave and McEvoy still passed plenty.

You're thinking of 2014, when Gordon had 2500 yards?

That Wisky team averaged 23 attempts and 150 passing yards per game that season (and more than double that number of attempts and yards in the running game).

Yes, that's the season I was thinking about.

Pro style passing is not merely the number of attempts, but the skillset of the QB, the types of passes attempted and the willingness to run heavy if that's what's working.

Joel Stave was a classic pro-style quarterback. He threw 30 times in the win against Purdue. The next week he threw 11 times in the win against Nebraska. When Ohio State shut Gordon down cold, they had Stave throw 43 times.

They ran better than they passed, but Wisconsin was never afraid to pass.

I'm totally for a 2:1 run pass ratio.

I've just observed that the better defenses use a Stop The Run First strategy.

So it's nice having a good passing quarterback when the ratio needs adjusting.

It would be great if he could run fast and takes hits, too, but now we're just being selfish.

I'm totally for a 2:1 run pass ratio.

I've just observed that the better defenses use a Stop The Run First strategy.

So it's nice having a good passing quarterback when the ratio needs adjusting.

It would be great if he could run fast and takes hits, too, but now we're just being selfish.

Yea. It would be nice to have Vince Young or Cam Newton

There is absolutely no factual information about TA that should lead us to believe he's going to all of a sudden become a competent passing QB in year 4 as a starter.

Lets remember....

Tommy was #2 in the nation in interceptions last season with 16.

We are replacing starters from an OL that wasn't particularly good to begin with in 2015.

Virtually no consistent production in the rushing game last year as a whole.

Replacing 2 NFL drafted DT's. (Not upgraded yet)

Still young or average DE's. (Parrella could be enough to make up for lack of talent)

Secondary that was 7th worst in the nation in yards given up 290 yards per game. Company with Kansas, Indiana, Oregon, and Kansas State.

Play calling that was cause for remotes being thrown into tv's, windows, walls, significant others, and pets.

We have no factual information to believe NU is in contention to win 10-11 games yet. It can happen but the facts are holding against it.

Best case

10 wins

This requires

TA to have no more interceptions than TDs

A healthy DPE

Someone to play above average at DT

Worst case

5 wins

Some possible causes

TA injury

Injuries on OL

Coaching staff continues to lose in the last seconds of the game

Poor IB play

TA didn't have more INT's than TD's last year. Still went 5-7

There is absolutely no factual information about TA that should lead us to believe he's going to all of a sudden become a competent passing QB in year 4 as a starter.

Lets remember....

We are replacing starters from an OL that wasn't particularly good to begin with in 2015.

Still young or average DE's. (Parrella could be enough to make up for lack of talent)

Secondary that was 7th worst in the nation in yards given up 290 yards per game. Company with Kansas, Indiana, Oregon, and Kansas State.

Play calling that was cause for remotes being thrown into tv's, windows, walls, significant others, and pets.

We have no factual information to believe NU is in contention to win 10-11 games yet. It can happen but the facts are holding against it.

Best case

10 wins

This requires

A healthy DPE

Worst case

5 wins

Some possible causes

TA injury

Injuries on OL

Poor IB play

Did someone kick your dog today?

I agree with all your points, and I never said TA had more ints than TDs last year, but if he has more ints than TDs this year we are doomed. It is sad to me that the best case for the great Husker machine is no longer the MNC.

Lets remember....

Best case

10 wins

This requires

A healthy DPE

Worst case

5 wins

Some possible causes

TA injury

Injuries on OL

Poor IB play

Did someone kick your dog today?

I agree with all your points, and I never said TA had more ints than TDs last year, but if he has more ints than TDs this year we are doomed. It is sad to me that the best case for the great Husker machine is no longer the MNC.

I wasn't intentionally targeting you with that TA bit. I was making an observation that while he had more TD's than INT's last year.

Basically I think if he can widen the gap between TD's to INT's then we're on to something. Each one of those INT's is a potential TD drive.