Temp check: 7-5

Boy have times changed.

Riley wasn't brought in to "rebuild" he was brought her to win, win championships.

If he can't mustard the 9 wins, we move on

Who claimed winning and winning championships wouldn't require a rebuild?

Well .... Eichorst for starters.

Do tell? I don't recall him saying "We want to win and win now, no rebuild will be necessary with the next guy I hire"
I'm sure you can find a way to semantic it but:

At the end of the day, I think we have kids in our program that are capable of winning championships.

Link
I think you quoted the wrong part, nowhere did that say a rebuild was unecessary.

Like I said, I'm sure you'll find a way to semantic it.

Technically he didn't say that, you're right. But why would a rebuild be necessary if we already had the talent to win championships?

I think you're being difficult out of spite here, but sure I'll lay it out.

ADSE said we had championship talent under Bo, so he fired him and implied new leadership could give us a title (never said in year 1 but I digress...). So ADSE hires HCMR to replace Bo. ADSE knew full well HCMR was systematically a different coach, as did most of us, and a transition was going to happen. Nobody expected a 5-7 regular season, but bumps were expected.

So your very vague quote doesn't really fit the bill for me that ADSE promised us immediate championships. This year and next? Yeah that's perfectly reasonable. Any longer than that and he is kind of missing on his promise.

But I think you already knew that.

• Fire 1

Boy have times changed.

Riley wasn't brought in to "rebuild" he was brought her to win, win championships.

Do tell? I don't recall him saying "We want to win and win now, no rebuild will be necessary with the next guy I hire"

At the end of the day, I think we have kids in our program that are capable of winning championships.

Link
I think you quoted the wrong part, nowhere did that say a rebuild was unecessary.

Technically he didn't say that, you're right. But why would a rebuild be necessary if we already had the talent to win championships?

ADSE said we had championship talent under Bo, so he fired him and implied new leadership could give us a title (never said in year 1 but I digress...). So ADSE hires HCMR to replace Bo. ADSE knew full well HCMR was systematically a different coach, as did most of us, and a transition was going to happen. Nobody expected a 5-7 regular season, but bumps were expected.

So your very vague quote doesn't really fit the bill for me that ADSE promised us immediate championships. This year and next? Yeah that's perfectly reasonable. Any longer than that and he is kind of missing on his promise.

:movegoalpost: (First time getting to use that one. Kind of excited.)

Somehow you went from "rebuild" to "immediate championships." Those don't seem like the same thing to me.

Edit: I don't think he said either, by the way.

Edited by Mavric

Personally, I thought 2013 suffered at least one extra loss due to the loss of Martinez and the unrelenting media/fan discontent that year.

I just don't see media and fan discontent creating losses.

Pressure and expectation? Sure.

But what's the alternative? Low expectations?

I think it was a legitimate problem that players believed their 9 wins over lesser competition should shield them from criticism when they under performed in meaningful games. ESPECIALLY because they weren't so far removed in terms of talent.

Nebraska fans and media have been among the most supportive in sport -- nowhere near as critical as the average NFL city.

• Fire 1

If you revisit that year, it was a definite distraction. Media and fans were saying it was a poorly kept secret that NU had already decided to fire Pelini at the end of that year. The AD did nothing To publicly quell those rumors. It was an ugly time and it was a distraction that hurt the team on the field and hurt recruiting.

Boy have times changed.

Link

Somehow you went from "rebuild" to "immediate championships." Those don't seem like the same thing to me.

What are you even talking about?? I originally said "Who said a rebuild wasn't necessary?" to which you countered with ADSE. I asked when, you responded with a vauge quote. I elaborated that ADSE never implied a rebuild wasn't necessary and never implied immediate championships.

So again, what are you talking about?

If you revisit that year, it was a definite distraction. Media and fans were saying it was a poorly kept secret that NU had already decided to fire Pelini at the end of that year. The AD did nothing To publicly quell those rumors. It was an ugly time and it was a distraction that hurt the team on the field and hurt recruiting.

It wasn't a poorly kept secret. It wasn't even even decided. Because when handed the Iowa debacle that year, the AD retained Pelini, gave him another year and increased his recruiting budget. His public pronouncements on Bo Pelini at the time were entirely appropriate.

Point being: Bo Pelini and the players could have quelled everything themselves by not melting down in big games. They could have saved Bo Pelini and screwed Eichorst simply by beating Minnesota in 2014 in a lower expectation game. They didn't. Even then, most fans didn't publicly turn on Bo and the players. A louder, angrier minority did -- as they always do -- and players and coaches always have to handle that.

Blaming the fans for the "distraction" of higher expectations is kinda chickensh#t, eh?

Boy have times changed.

Link

What are you even talking about?? I originally said "Who said a rebuild wasn't necessary?" to which you countered with ADSE. I asked when, you responded with a vauge quote. I elaborated that ADSE never implied a rebuild wasn't necessary and never implied immediate championships.

So again, what are you talking about?

What part of "have kids in our program that are capable of winning championships" would require a rebuild?

• Fire 2

The part where the incapable of winning said championship coach gets fired and new coach with very different system is hired.

Pretty sure it was the opposite. We have everything we need to compete for championships except the right coach. We need a new coach to push us to the next level.

• Fire 2

The part where the incapable of winning said championship coach gets fired and new coach with very different system is hired.

Pretty sure it was the opposite. We have everything we need to compete for championships except the right coach. We need a new coach to push us to the next level.

So by saying "We want to win championships" and NOT saying "But it will take a rebuild" he was in a round about way saying "We want to win championships and it won't take a rebuild".

Is this what you are getting at?

So by saying "We want to win championships" and NOT saying "But it will take a rebuild" he was in a round about way saying "We want to win championships and it won't take a rebuild".

Where is the "want" in his quote? You seem to have added that to fit your narrative.

• Fire 1

Where is the "want" in his quote? You seem to have added that to fit your narrative.

Lol, I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish here so you can just be the winner.

Lol, I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish here so you can just be the winner.

If by "not sure what you're trying to accomplish" you mean "I don't have an argument against it", then thanks.

• Fire 1

Honestly, Redux, you dug your heels in a little too far on this one.

Eichorst said everything you're supposed to say when you hire a new coach.

Can't raise expectations too high. Can't leave them too low. Can't call for a rebuild after a 9 win season.

Can't insult the players by calling them non-championship worthy.

Putting myself back in the moment, I don't recall anyone anticipating or using the word "rebuild."

• Fire 2