Temp check: 7-5

Dear Husker Family,

Good morning.

I want to express my sincere appreciation to every Husker fan who has come to Memorial Stadium this season to cheer on the Big Red; who has traveled hundreds or thousands of miles to proudly wear the red and white in visiting stadiums; and who has passionately supported our student-athletes, our head coach, our assistant coaches and staff. Your support and patience as Mike Riley rebuilds our storied program one brick at a time mean the world to our young men, our staff and our university.

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=210466315

Of course the word "rebuild" wasn't used until after our worst start since 1960

Yeah, after seeing how badly the season was going, we went from having what we need to compete for championships to rebuilding.

Convenient.

• Fire 1

First, I never tried to explain what Eichorst might have meant, you did. How about instead of over analyzing and applying what we think he might have meant, we just take his words at face value.

So, taken at face value, what would you say he meant by that comment?

And you STILL don't have an argument FOR Eichorst saying we didn't need a rebuild and you are the one that said he did, not me or 1995 Redux. Show proof that Eichorst said we needed a rebuild instead of conjecture and speculation.

Apparently you didn't read - or care to understand - my previous post.

Second, I haven't made any claims so I don't need to prove anything.

I know you haven't made any claims. It's easier for you that way. I asked if you'd like to provide anything to consider if you feel that a rebuild was required.

I understood your post perfectly, you were trying to justify an unjustifiable position.

I know you haven't made any claims. It's easier for you that way. I asked if you'd like to provide anything to consider if you feel that a rebuild was required.

I merely pointed out that you did not have an argument for Eichorst saying we didn't need to rebuild, and you still don't. Have a nice day.

• Fire 1

I understood your post perfectly, you were trying to justify an unjustifiable position.

I merely pointed out that you did not have an argument for Eichorst saying we didn't need to rebuild, and you still don't. Have a nice day.

Eichorst said we have the players to win championships. So in his opinion, from a player only perspective, we do not need to be "rebuilt". That is not an all inclusive statement about the entire team. There could be other areas where we need "rebuilding" but he was talking about players only.

What a useless semantics debate.

Anyone who thought a 5 loss season would be cued up under a veteran like Riley was labeled an idiotic hater.

Whether we call it a rebuild, a revamp, a tweaking or a transition, almost no one predicted it would go as badly as it did in 2015, which included one of the three worst losses in modern Nebraksa football history (and another one or two that would rank in the top 20).

• Fire 3

7-5 would be just short of a disaster, and in my mind, sinks any chance we have of becoming relevant again unless we get a homerun hire on our next coach. In the Hail Varsity Yearbook, they did an article on the importance of year 2 to a coaches overall success, and how vital it is. Case in point, the 4 coaches in last year's playoff (Saban, Dantonio, Dabo, Stoops) averaged 6.2 wins in year one, and 10.6 in year two.

We have to win this year. No excuses.

Saunders45.

I already indicated that I totally agree with your statement... so this comment is not in disagreement with you.

Unfortunately... and believe me I wish it weren't so... the "rebuilding" scheme-scam gives the athletic department and coaching staff an ENDLESS supply of excuses... for the next 3-7 years. After all... how can you hold someone responsible or accountable for what happens during a "rebuilding".

Despite yours and my wishes... the rebuilding scheme is designed to provide a never ending litany of excuses.

"Rebuilding" = more excuses, not less.

• Fire 2

Dear Husker Family,

Good morning.

I want to express my sincere appreciation to every Husker fan who has come to Memorial Stadium this season to cheer on the Big Red; who has traveled hundreds or thousands of miles to proudly wear the red and white in visiting stadiums; and who has passionately supported our student-athletes, our head coach, our assistant coaches and staff. Your support and patience as Mike Riley rebuilds our storied program one brick at a time mean the world to our young men, our staff and our university.

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=210466315

Of course the word "rebuild" wasn't used until after our worst start since 1960

The biggest excuse making machine in the last 18 years of Nebraska football is now up and running.

• Fire 1

The biggest excuse making machine in the last 18 years of Nebraska football is now up and running.

I don't believe rebuilding necessarily means that is now an excuse making machine. That kinda assumes that some folks don't care about winning doesn't it? I certainly don't believe that is true.

7-5 would be just short of a disaster, and in my mind, sinks any chance we have of becoming relevant again unless we get a homerun hire on our next coach. In the Hail Varsity Yearbook, they did an article on the importance of year 2 to a coaches overall success, and how vital it is. Case in point, the 4 coaches in last year's playoff (Saban, Dantonio, Dabo, Stoops) averaged 6.2 wins in year one, and 10.6 in year two.

We have to win this year. No excuses.

Saunders45.

I already indicated that I totally agree with your statement... so this comment is not in disagreement with you.

Unfortunately... and believe me I wish it weren't so... the "rebuilding" scheme-scam gives the athletic department and coaching staff an ENDLESS supply of excuses... for the next 3-7 years. After all... how can you hold someone responsible or accountable for what happens during a "rebuilding".

Despite yours and my wishes... the rebuilding scheme is designed to provide a never ending litany of excuses.

"Rebuilding" = more excuses, not less.

tumblr_ljxqgtC1zr1qgpzvfo1_500.gif?w=480
  • Fire 1

Idk, I guess I always thought it was an unspoken understanding that we were in a rebuild. We fired a guy that consistently won 9 games but hit his ceiling and hired a guy that consistently won 6 games or so at a bad place with a higher ceiling and a different system.

I mean, yeah I was drinking the kool aid pretty hard by August and even believed that we had the players in place to make a run. After BYU that dream got put into check. It wasn't until we let Wisconsin win that I let go complete hope of 2015 being anything more than a transition.

There really isn't anything to argue here. Regardless of what ADSE's statement implied, we are in a rebuild. So I guess if some want to view that original press statement and 2015's results as a huge failure on ADSE's implied promises, then be my guest. I'm not implying my logic or expectations were any better than anyone elses, just giving my opinion.

Idk, I guess I always thought it was an unspoken understanding that we were in a rebuild. We fired a guy that consistently won 9 games but hit his ceiling and hired a guy that consistently won 6 games or so at a bad place with a higher ceiling and a different system.

I mean, yeah I was drinking the kool aid pretty hard by August and even believed that we had the players in place to make a run. After BYU that dream got put into check. It wasn't until we let Wisconsin win that I let go complete hope of 2015 being anything more than a transition.

There really isn't anything to argue here. Regardless of what ADSE's statement implied, we are in a rebuild. So I guess if some want to view that original press statement and 2015's results as a huge failure on ADSE's implied promises, then be my guest. I'm not implying my logic or expectations were any better than anyone elses, just giving my opinion.

LOL

"Transition"... was the first excuse churned out by the excuse making machine.

But that was only good for one year and they needed a longer term excuse. So they had the excuse making machine spit out "rebuilding".

No, I expect them to win games this year. Bare Minimum 8 of them or I'll be sorely disappointed.

1st year of a new coach is pretty commonly referred to as a transition year. And when that coach is implementing a different system it is commonly referred to as a rebuild in one form or another. It's not an excuse, it's just basic terminology.

• Fire 1

LOL

But that was only good for one year and they needed a longer term excuse. So they had the excuse making machine spit out "rebuilding".

The "transition" excuse will last for several years because "program was more toxic than expected from previous coach" and "players aren't buying in" so we need to "wait until new coach gets his own recruits"

LOL

The "transition" excuse will last for several years because "program was more toxic than expected from previous coach" and "players aren't buying in" so we need to "wait until new coach gets his own recruits"

Unfortunately you are correct. That's why I used the term "litany" and "endless" to describe the excuses.

So lets review the list of excuses churned out by the excuse making machine so far...

1. Transition

2. Program was more toxic then expected from previous coach

3. Players aren't buying in

4. We need to wait until new coach gets his own recruits

5. Blame the players

6. Blame the assistant coaches

7.Rebuilding

Oh heck why even count... the list is endless.

• Fire 1

LOL

Unfortunately you are correct. That's why I used the term "litany" and "endless" to describe the excuses.

So lets review the list of excuses churned out by the excuse making machine so far...

1. Transition

2. Program was more toxic then expected from previous coach

3. Players aren't buying in

4. We need to wait until new coach gets his own recruits

5. Blame the players

6. Blame the assistant coaches

7.Rebuilding

Oh heck why even count... the list is endless.

Endless?

I would expect some improvement this season, but it's hard to imagine all the pieces falling into place, especially on defense.

Next season the Riley recruits will outnumber the previous regime's, and systems will be solidified.

That's three seasons to see if the Huskers are Big 10 contenders under Riley. I would expect your particular list of excuses to end there.

I think the excuses for this past season, including the coach blaming himself, were about right.

• Fire 1