2016 Opponent Previews: Purdue

SBNation: Purdue will field a football team in 2016

Of the 13 public schools in the Big Ten (sans Northwestern), Purdue only outearned or outspent Rutgers in 2014-15. A PennLive report in June declared Purdue the poorest program in the conference.

On the field, the Boilermakers have not played at a conference-average level, per F/+, once in 11 years. They've only really come close a couple of times.

Darrell Hazell, currently 6-30 as Purdue's head coach (the worst win percentage in school history), appears to have kept his job primarily because of his large buyout.

2016 projected wins: 4.5

Projected S&P+ ranking: 88 (14 in Big Ten)

5-year recruiting ranking: 67 (14 in Big Ten)

Biggest strength: The defensive line was active and quick and is not as undersized as last year.

Biggest question mark: Take your pick between a paper-thin offensive line, a paper-thin secondary, and a defensive front that might have sacrificed its biggest asset (quickness) to address a liability (size).

Biggest 2016 game: Cincinnati (Sept. 10). Any hope of a bowl bid will require a 3-0 start.

Summary: Hazell has won just six games in three years, hamstrung by a lack of playmakers and depth. Can a pair of new coordinators and more experience at quarterback lead to marked improvement in West Lafayette? The odds aren't great.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/7/11/12133422/purdue-football-2016-preview-schedule-roster

More to come...

• Fire 1

And Nebraska still lost to them last year. Probably the most baffling loss I can remember.

The instant classic!

Do either of you actually expect a repeat?

Not sure anyone actually expected it the first time.

Obviously, but that wasn't my question.

And Nebraska still lost to them last year. Probably the most baffling loss I can remember.

The instant classic!

No. In the preview above, under the schedule & projections section, Purdue's surest loss is against Nebraska.

The instant classic!

No. In the preview above, under the schedule & projections section, Purdue's surest loss is against Nebraska.

As it should be.

I expect an absolute thrashing and Hazell to be fired following it.

The instant classic!

As it should be.

I expect an absolute thrashing and Hazell to be fired following it.

No way do I expect a repeat… Don't forget there are many husker fans that posted the fact that Purdue had a higher rated players the Nebraska… So we do have to be careful!

• Fire 2