What happens when Riley gets his guy at QB.

Just want to mention that game context has a lot to do with 'intelligent' play calling including run/pass mix.

Losing by 9 in the 4th, better be passing a lot. Winning...run the clock to :01 and run the ball and stay inbounds.

Mike Leach will run a lot when winning late in the 4th. Tom Osborn got pass happy when losing late in the fourth...fleakicker...touchdown, touchdown!!

It would probably be a better metric to look at run/pass ratio in buckets...1st half, 2nd half with a lead, and 2nd half while behind.

And then, ignore the second half data.

The first half data will tell you what the coaches are trying to be.

The second half data should tell you if they were usually ahead or behind. JMO.

I agree with that...

Except that I would add that the other team does the exact same thing.

The beauty of football.

Just want to mention that game context has a lot to do with 'intelligent' play calling including run/pass mix.

Losing by 9 in the 4th, better be passing a lot. Winning...run the clock to :01 and run the ball and stay inbounds.

Mike Leach will run a lot when winning late in the 4th. Tom Osborn got pass happy when losing late in the fourth...fleakicker...touchdown, touchdown!!

It would probably be a better metric to look at run/pass ratio in buckets...1st half, 2nd half with a lead, and 2nd half while behind.

I was thinking the same thing after I posted last night. I did some looking about halfway through last season and we were pretty pass-heavy through three quarters of most of those early games. Then we ran the ball more in the fourth quarter trying to hang on to the lead. So the full game stats looked fairly balanced but I'm pretty sure we were often over 60% passing when Langs could call what he wanted. Obviously Michigan State, Purdue and Miami were pass-heavy later in the game as we tried to come back.

I think you would be more telling to look at 1st half and through-three-quarters numbers to get a better feel for what they want to do when they can usually call whatever they want. Might have to work on that...

I am curious as to some names of QBs that are considered "Riley's guy' by way of examples? To me, I think Riley will take a Tommy Armstrong that is an excellent passer. I don't think he would oppose recruiting a strong running QB provided he has a great throwing capability. The NFL prefers QBs that can avoid the rush and pick up a couple first downs on scrambles. Going back decades, the NFL has had quite a few who were pretty capable with their feet. Johnny Unitas was NOT one but certainly Fran Tarkenton was known as 'the scrambler'. POB is supposed to have some decent run skills and I would hope can avoid the sacks reasonably well. It won't do us any good to complete 62% of a bunch of passes if we have 5 or 6 ugly sacks for a loss of 75 yards and several more punts.

Not trying to be a jerk but a Tommy Armstrong that is an excellent passer would be a Heisman Trophy winner and the first pick in the draft. Anyone would take him. But they don't come around very often.

Exactly. A Tommy Armstrong who is an excellent passer is Deshaun Watson.

Top talent doesn't come unless they are sold on what they will be doing for that offense. This is a me world and i want to know how im going to shine in this lineup.

I consider several guys we have in our current program or who left recently to be top talent. Ameer is one prime example.

So, I disagree 100% with that line of thinking.

Ameer is amazing and I would take 22 like him every year, however he was underrated and was not considered "TOP" talent at the time. He was good talent and became elite however don't believe he is that good of an example for this discussion.

Top talent doesn't come unless they are sold on what they will be doing for that offense. This is a me world and i want to know how im going to shine in this lineup.

Nonsense

Great players want to go to schools that have great coaches that can teach their players to play fundamentally sound football... and that are successful.

How is my statement Nonsense?

Yes you are exactly correct great players want to go to schools that have great coaches.....

Great coaches sell the recruits on what they will be doing to help the team - It's called having a vision. Listen to player interviews they say all the time how coach x stated how they were going to use y player.

I agree with that...

Except that I would add that the other team does the exact same thing.

The beauty of football.

sorry don't understand your point

I am curious as to some names of QBs that are considered "Riley's guy' by way of examples? To me, I think Riley will take a Tommy Armstrong that is an excellent passer. I don't think he would oppose recruiting a strong running QB provided he has a great throwing capability. The NFL prefers QBs that can avoid the rush and pick up a couple first downs on scrambles. Going back decades, the NFL has had quite a few who were pretty capable with their feet. Johnny Unitas was NOT one but certainly Fran Tarkenton was known as 'the scrambler'. POB is supposed to have some decent run skills and I would hope can avoid the sacks reasonably well. It won't do us any good to complete 62% of a bunch of passes if we have 5 or 6 ugly sacks for a loss of 75 yards and several more punts.

Not trying to be a jerk but a Tommy Armstrong that is an excellent passer would be a Heisman Trophy winner and the first pick in the draft. Anyone would take him. But they don't come around very often.

Exactly. A Tommy Armstrong who is an excellent passer is Deshaun Watson.

That occurred to me, too, watching last year's NCG.

Also, a Tommy Armstrong who took off running every time the pass defense sagged is a lot closer to Deshaun Watson.

Tommy is actually a pretty good passer. He needs to be a better decision maker.

Talent wise, he's not that far off. I think it's mostly in his brain.

If TA is so talented and athletic (and I believe that he is), then why do most posters on this site believe that he won't be drafted in the NFL?

(from a previous thread a few months ago)

Couldn't he get looks at WR or Safety?

Because Tommy makes unforced errors against some very average college defenses.

He would get eaten alive in the NFL.

I don't think he's got the pure speed for WR. No idea if he'd like to play defense. Not sure if he's quite that super athlete that you try to get on the field by any means possible.

Would have loved to see more by his Junior year, but I'd be happy to have him blow everyone away as a Senior.