OWH: B1G TV deals take away any excuses Nebraska, Big Ten not to excel

Now, what are you — and the Big Ten — going to do about it?

To quote an old athletic department philosopher, this is why they did what they did. Or why NU said “how far” when Delany said “jump” in 2010.

True, NU will have had to wait until 2017 to get the full money, but the promise of riches was always there when the Huskers joined the Big Ten frat. It was always a question of how much Delany, the top negotiator in college sports, would go for.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/shatel-b-g-tv-deals-take-away-any-excuses-nebraska/article_72308e1f-eaa3-573a-90f0-22ae055b70ae.html

Big 12 and SEC schools are already getting $30mm+ for TV. Texas is getting approximately $45mm. B1G schools are not going to be making substantially more than other Big 12 and SEC schools.

I think that the 31 million number we keep hearing about is only first tier money, and doesn't include BTN revenue.

Big 12 and SEC schools are already getting $30mm+ for TV. Texas is getting approximately $45mm. B1G schools are not going to be making substantially more than other Big 12 and SEC schools.

I think that the 31 million number we keep hearing about is only first tier money, and doesn't include BTN revenue.

I think it was first and second tier (FOX and ESPN) but you're correct that it did not included BTN and other conference revenue (bowls, playoffs, etc.).

I think it was first and second tier (FOX and ESPN) but you're correct that it did not included BTN and other conference revenue (bowls, playoffs, etc.).

Right, first and second tier and not BTN money. But BTN only paid out $1mm per school, right? I'm not sure how much the conference brings in for other TV revenue, but I'm assuming it is a small amount relative to the first, second and third tier rights.

Right, first and second tier and not BTN money. But BTN only paid out $1mm per school, right? I'm not sure how much the conference brings in for other TV revenue, but I'm assuming it is a small amount relative to the first, second and third tier rights.

$1 M&Ms??? Is that for one or one bag?

$1 M&Ms??? Is that for one or one bag?

Dad...stop.

Iirc, the BTN money is available in MUCH larger numbers than has so far been distributed. That is, there is quite a pile of cash that has been built up as a reserve fund for the network that only just started paying dividends. That first dividend is the 1 million we keep hearing about. The next year's dividend is rumored to be in the 10-12 million range and then keep going up. If true, that would put our first tier + BTN money in the 44 million range, not counting bowls, basketball shares, and so on. It is possible, perhaps likely, that overall number jump to the low 50's millions in the next 2 years. That is what has other conferences concerned.

I hope that we spend a large chunk of that money, if it comes, on coaching and facilities. Investing for the future if you will.

I have moderate hopes for Riley. If he succeeds in a big way I will be thrilled. But my more down to earth expectation is that he will keep us steadily in the Top 10-20 and in the CFB conversation in a general fashion until we have the opportunity to hire another generational coach like Osborne or Devaney. The money we will have at that time should assure that we can keep a coach as long as we would like to, and as long as they wish to be here. Perhaps that coach is Scott Frost, which would make sense in many ways. If not him, someone who can get the job done. Spending a few years ranked 10-20 isn't the worst thing. We've done that off an on through our history.

Scott Frost (whom I like) has never coached a game at this level. We truly have no idea of his ability. I just do not understand the love affair with him being our head coach. Not saying if he proves to be capable that I would not want him. I would, but we need to see results before we anoint him the coming messiah.

We have a good coach, we will see that this year. Maybe not the results some expect, but the growth that is needed will be seen.

Scott Frost (whom I like) has never coached a game at this level. We truly have no idea of his ability. I just do not understand the love affair with him being our head coach.

That's fine, but conversely, I just don't understand the hesitancy towards it. College football proves, every single year, that there is no correlation between past head coaching experience or success and future success. It just doesn't exist.

For every Nick Saban there's a Tommy Tuberville. For every Will Muschamp there's a Bob Stoops. For every Art Briles there's a Chip Kelly. For every Urban Meyer there's a Brady Hoke.

Scott Frost (whom I like) has never coached a game at this level. We truly have no idea of his ability. I just do not understand the love affair with him being our head coach.

That's fine, but conversely, I just don't understand the hesitancy towards it. College football proves, every single year, that there is no correlation between past head coaching experience or success and future success. It just doesn't exist.

For every Nick Saban there's a Tommy Tuberville. For every Will Muschamp there's a Bob Stoops. For every Art Briles there's a Chip Kelly. For every Urban Meyer there's a Brady Hoke.

Not disagreeing, but we also don't know that Scott would be a stud as a coach. Might be a dud. We can't really know unless one has a chance.