The Nebraska Way

We should make a new thread about the "Nebraska Way" if we're going to divert from the current story so much so here's a vaulted article about our precious Nebraska Way in the 90's

http://www.si.com/vault/1995/09/25/206647/coach-and-jury-nebraska-players-charged-with-crimes-have-a-steadfast-ally-in-the-man-who-runs-the-program-tom-osborne

Edited by Mavric
If you say so....

To me the Nebraska way was about not caring what the outside said (like when people tried to say NU's system was too old fashioned to beat Florida teams and that TO would never get over the hump). It was also about loyalty and integrity even when the decision was unpopular on its face. It was about really living up to the adage "in the deed, the glory." Pretty much, it was the application of stoicism to running a program and cheering for a program.

Personally, I think the "Nebraska Way" died in 2003 and I don't think the program or its fan base will really ever be the same after that.

Thats what you want to believe it means. And you can bet your ass, that had Osborne never won titles, there wouldntve been all this "back to Nebraska way" stuff. And had Callahan or Bo won some sort of championship, it wouldve been restored in the blink of an eye. Winning. That's all it is. Just winning. We like to think as a fanbase we've won in some unique way. Like we took a harder road than most. Running game. Walk-ons, etc. When it's probably the exact opposite. We used those things cuz they were the best fit for us to make winning easiest. Running a program and cheering for a program is not stoic or special. it goes on everywhere. in every sport. You win, you get to keep going. you lose, youre out and we go in another direction. i think we're a bit blinded by the fact that we had the same coach for 25 years with consistent results, and think everything was alway hunky dory, and use that to legitimize this fictional Nebraska Way. When in fact, it wasnt always hunky dory, and on more than one occasion, that so called Nebraska Way almost died long before the Nebraska Way actually became what it is now perceived to be. If Osborne loses the Liberty bowl and gets fired, leaves for Colorado, or steps aside after 1990, and Nebraska doesnt win to nearly the tick that they did, then there is no Nebraska Way.

Have you read Scott frost's article on the topic? You should.

Also, it's worth noting that the "Nebraska Way" isn't all fans way. It's the set of principles that Devaney and Osborne built the program on and the set that many fans bought into.

Quit trying to pretend that Devaney and Osborne ran the program the same way USC has, or OU has, or FSU has.

Nebraska's path to success was far different than most.

And that wasn't luck.

If not for the "Nebraska Way" we'd be Kansas.

I'll argue as long as the day is that Osborne did what he did for LP because he thought it was best for LP and not because he thought it was best for Osborne or the team. And I think he would have done the same for a walkon running back.

Like it or not, that's integrity. If LP had used football to turn his life around, TO would have been lauded for giving him a second chance after a misdemeanor (his first, notably). It's only in hindsight that we say he made a major error.

As to Benning, and that's only as far as I got in that hit peace, he was 100% innocent. Not just "not guilty," he was innocent.

Makes me sick to see people buy into this crap.

• Fire 2

I'll argue as long as the day is that Osborne did what he did for LP because he thought it was best for LP and not because he thought it was best for Osborne or the team. And I think he would have done the same for a walkon running back.

Like it or not, that's integrity. If LP had used football to turn his life around, TO would have been lauded for giving him a second chance after a misdemeanor (his first, notably). It's only in hindsight that we say he made a major error.

As to Benning, and that's only as far as I got in that hit peace, he was 100% innocent. Not just "not guilty," he was innocent.

Osborne had zero integrity with regards to LP. There is plenty to back that up.

Such as?

The easy thing for TO would have been to sh#t can LP. That would have been so easy with the amount of talent on that team.

LP was charged with his first misdemeanor. Are you saying a guy should be gone after a misdemeanor offense?

He was given clear benchmarks he had to achieve to be reinstated. He achieved them. Should he have been told "sorry, just kidding"?

• Fire 1

The Nebraska way means you walk around with an ear of corn in your back pocket and your favorite player is the 3rd string FB from your hometown.

Devaney actually said that in a less snarky way. He built the program on local talent, with a mix in of outside talent.
297.png
  • Fire 2

Such as?

The easy thing for TO would have been to sh#t can LP. That would have been so easy with the amount of talent on that team.

LP was charged with his first misdemeanor. Are you saying a guy should be gone after a misdemeanor offense?

He was given clear benchmarks he had to achieve to be reinstated. He achieved them. Should he have been told "sorry, just kidding"?

Domestic violence doesn't get a pass in my book. Regardless of the charges. He beat a woman weaker than him and drug her down a flight of stairs.

Osborne's influence allowed Phillips to face less severe consequences. And the "benchmarks" he had to meet were a f'ing sham.

The people who criticize TO for the handling of the LP situation never cease to amaze me. They will likely never have to handle a situation of that magnitude in their life, but hide behind their keyboard and fearlessly proclaim what others should or shouldn't have done. In situations like that, there is no winner. It's bad all the way around.

TO kicks him off the team for his transgressions the narrative would be "He abandoned a young man in an hour of need! How dare he kick him to the curb!"

TO keeps him on the team with the idea of structure and discipline will help provide stability in his troubled life and the narrative is "He has no integrity! He's win at all cost!"

• Fire 1

The people who criticize TO for the handling of the LP situation never cease to amaze me. They will likely never have to handle a situation of that magnitude in their life, but hide behind their keyboard and fearlessly proclaim what others should or shouldn't have done. In situations like that, there is no winner. It's bad all the way around.

TO kicks him off the team for his transgressions the narrative would be "He abandoned a young man in an hour of need! How dare he kick him to the curb!"

TO keeps him on the team with the idea of structure and discipline will help provide stability in his troubled life and the narrative is "He has no integrity! He's win at all cost!"

What about the woman and her hour of need?