The Nebraska Way

You have any evidence at all that Osborne influenced the legal outcome of that case?

Do you even know what the required benchmarks were?

No one knows what the benchmarks were. That's why it was a sham. There was ZERO chance LP wasn't going to meet the standards to get back on the field.

Oh and lets not forget, TO's hands were tied to let him back on the team because of a "team vote."

The people who criticize TO for the handling of the LP situation never cease to amaze me. They will likely never have to handle a situation of that magnitude in their life, but hide behind their keyboard and fearlessly proclaim what others should or shouldn't have done. In situations like that, there is no winner. It's bad all the way around.

TO kicks him off the team for his transgressions the narrative would be "He abandoned a young man in an hour of need! How dare he kick him to the curb!"

TO keeps him on the team with the idea of structure and discipline will help provide stability in his troubled life and the narrative is "He has no integrity! He's win at all cost!"

What about the woman and her hour of need?

Yeah it was a horrible thing that happened. No one's arguing that. Maybe if Frost wasn't hiding in the closet while it all went down, he could've come to her aid.

The point I was making was about criticisms of TO and how he's damned one way or another, no matter what he does. But if you want to change the topic that's fine too.

• Fire 1

The people who criticize TO for the handling of the LP situation never cease to amaze me. They will likely never have to handle a situation of that magnitude in their life, but hide behind their keyboard and fearlessly proclaim what others should or shouldn't have done. In situations like that, there is no winner. It's bad all the way around.

TO kicks him off the team for his transgressions the narrative would be "He abandoned a young man in an hour of need! How dare he kick him to the curb!"

TO keeps him on the team with the idea of structure and discipline will help provide stability in his troubled life and the narrative is "He has no integrity! He's win at all cost!"

Yeah it was a horrible thing that happened. No one's arguing that. Maybe if Frost wasn't hiding in the closet while it all went down, he could've come to her aid.

The point I was making was about criticisms of TO and how he's damned one way or another, no matter what he does. But if you want to change the topic that's fine too.

Sure. Blame Frost. Nice deflection.

You have any evidence at all that Osborne influenced the legal outcome of that case?

No one knows what the benchmarks were. That's why it was a sham. There was ZERO chance LP wasn't going to meet the standards to get back on the field.

Oh and lets not forget, TO's hands were tied to let him back on the team because of a "team vote."

You don't get to call something a sham just because you're not knowledgable.

And you're also mischaracterizing the team vote and its role.

Basically, you're way out of your depth in this topic.

I'm suspecting you're fairly young? Because it seems you're gleaning your info from some later, revised sources.

• Fire 1

I'm suspecting you're fairly young? Because it seems you're gleaning your info from some later, revised sources.

Keep polishing that Osborne halo. Maybe one day he will reward you for it

I'll argue as long as the day is that Osborne did what he did for LP because he thought it was best for LP and not because he thought it was best for Osborne or the team. And I think he would have done the same for a walkon running back.

Like it or not, that's integrity. If LP had used football to turn his life around, TO would have been lauded for giving him a second chance after a misdemeanor (his first, notably). It's only in hindsight that we say he made a major error.

As to Benning, and that's only as far as I got in that hit peace, he was 100% innocent. Not just "not guilty," he was innocent.

Makes me sick to see people buy into this crap.

Osborne had zero integrity with regards to LP. There is plenty to back that up.

THE most ignorant post, today for sure, maybe all time!

• Fire 2

Also, it's worth noting that the "Nebraska Way" isn't all fans way. It's the set of principles that Devaney and Osborne built the program on and the set that many fans bought into.

Quit trying to pretend that Devaney and Osborne ran the program the same way USC has, or OU has, or FSU has.

Nebraska's path to success was far different than most.

And that wasn't luck.

If not for the "Nebraska Way" we'd be Kansas.

Two coaches who were almost ran out of town for not winning enough. This why i say the Nebraska way is some holier than though way of thinking.

I'll argue as long as the day is that Osborne did what he did for LP because he thought it was best for LP and not because he thought it was best for Osborne or the team. And I think he would have done the same for a walkon running back.

Like it or not, that's integrity. If LP had used football to turn his life around, TO would have been lauded for giving him a second chance after a misdemeanor (his first, notably). It's only in hindsight that we say he made a major error.

As to Benning, and that's only as far as I got in that hit peace, he was 100% innocent. Not just "not guilty," he was innocent.

Osborne was certainly no Saint but I dare say he had more integrity and honesty and followed the Golden rule and certainly lived by the Ten Commandments (which will get anyone a long way on the road to a happy life and being a truly good person) than the vast majority of people worldwide.

Lawrence Phillips made mistakes but so far as I am aware, he made only the one serious one with regard to his girl friend when he caught her cheating with the team's 'star' QB recruit. He lost his temper which can happen to most in the right circumstances. What happened to him long after he left Nebraska and went into the not so 'good' world of professional sports is NOT Tom Osborne's fault. Phillips came from the 'tough' part of Los Angeles where the rule of brute force was far more the order of the day than debating over the appropriate penalties from driving while under the influence. I don't see a comparison in the two cases and I feel Tom made the right decision - even in hindsight.

Keep polishing that Osborne halo. Maybe one day he will reward you for it

Just trying to educate you.

What would you say if the victim and her attorney had wanted LP reinstated too?

Osborne was certainly no Saint but I dare say he had more integrity and honesty and followed the Golden rule and certainly lived by the Ten Commandments (which will get anyone a long way on the road to a happy life and being a truly good person) than the vast majority of people worldwide.

Lawrence Phillips made mistakes but so far as I am aware, he made only the one serious one with regard to his girl friend when he caught her cheating with the team's 'star' QB recruit. He lost his temper which can happen to most in the right circumstances. What happened to him long after he left Nebraska and went into the not so 'good' world of professional sports is NOT Tom Osborne's fault. Phillips came from the 'tough' part of Los Angeles where the rule of brute force was far more the order of the day than debating over the appropriate penalties from driving while under the influence. I don't see a comparison in the two cases and I feel Tom made the right decision - even in hindsight.

Bingo!! The ignorance of some is astounding!

Osborne handled a lot of things correctly in his 25 years at Nebraska. He didn't when it concerns LP.

LP didn't just come from a rough part of LA. He lived in an LA group home. And that was a step up from his actual home life. The reality of those horrors cannot be understated.

It's not a justification for his actions in '95 or later, but it's a mitigating factor.

How did he know where his ex was that night?

Bingo!! The ignorance of some is astounding!

That "only" mistake was a BIG f'ing MISTAKE

Why is it that the same people who are willing to look the other way on everything Osborne did with Phillips will cast this fabrication at Frost as if it has any validity?

• Fire 1