How much blame do we deserve?

Redux

How much blame?  

84 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The fault lies ultimately back with "Dollar Bill Byrne" who helped engineer the Big 12 to begin with. The Big 12 sucks and always has really. It really should have been named 'The new and improved Southwest Conference Starring Texas" as that was what it was intended to be and became. The best decision Nebraska ever made was getting out of that cluster. The departure of Nebraska basically sent the conference into a long slow death spiral. Frankly, in my view, the Big Ten has been reborn with the addition of Nebraska as well. The Big Ten was the weakest of the power conferences before we joined and we are now a rival to the SEC which was easily the 'top' conference. Nebraska football carries enormous political and image weight if you will in collegiate football. If Nebraska were to suddenly withdraw from the Big Ten and join the PAC 12, that conference would rise up and become the new rival with the SEC. It is rather amazing. There seems little argument on this fact as we know the Rutgers and Maryland didn't transform the conference 'power image' from mediocre to championship level.

Ohio State benefited as much as anyone from Nebraska's joinder as it legitmized the entire conference in terms of gravitas and strength.

Wow, I think you're a little dilusional about how Nebraska is viewed outside of the state. I Iive in Michigan. And I can tell you everyone I know and meet think of Nebraska as a has been. Honestly we are not really taken seriously anymore by most big 10 fans I encounter. We do have tradition, but that's about it anymore. We need to regain a lot of respect, and we surely are not why the big ten has been revitalized. That would be the accomplishments of Ohio state and MSU, (and the hiring of harbaugh to a degree). We have some work to do.

Wondering if those same fans also considered MU to be a "has been" prior to "the saviors arrival" - it will be interesting to see how these two teams trend over the next 3 or 4 seasons.

Most Michigan fans were pretty realistic with where their team was. Now that their savior has arrived they are arrogant as hell. I am utterly sick of harbaugh already and can't wait till he takes an nfl job, although most Michigan fans believe he is here for the rest of his life. The reality is that even if he hadn't accomplished anything yet, he has brought respect back to the program on a national level. They are ranked in the top ten to start the season, they are killing it on the recruiting trail, and are being talked about all the time in national sports show. I think their time of being a has been is over, ours? Not yet.

I have yet to read everyone's comments as I just voted, so it may already be covered. Missou started the whole mess by openly stating they wanted to go to the Big 10. What should we be blamed for? We were covering our arses and in the end after all of Texas BS we said screw it and left. Missou was flaunting their pretty pink panties, got treated like the slut they were and dropped, NU was offered and we saw a chance to tell Texass to shove it and we did.

The fault lies ultimately back with "Dollar Bill Byrne" who helped engineer the Big 12 to begin with. The Big 12 sucks and always has really. It really should have been named 'The new and improved Southwest Conference Starring Texas" as that was what it was intended to be and became. The best decision Nebraska ever made was getting out of that cluster. The departure of Nebraska basically sent the conference into a long slow death spiral. Frankly, in my view, the Big Ten has been reborn with the addition of Nebraska as well. The Big Ten was the weakest of the power conferences before we joined and we are now a rival to the SEC which was easily the 'top' conference. Nebraska football carries enormous political and image weight if you will in collegiate football. If Nebraska were to suddenly withdraw from the Big Ten and join the PAC 12, that conference would rise up and become the new rival with the SEC. It is rather amazing. There seems little argument on this fact as we know the Rutgers and Maryland didn't transform the conference 'power image' from mediocre to championship level.

Ohio State benefited as much as anyone from Nebraska's joinder as it legitmized the entire conference in terms of gravitas and strength.

Dude, I love Nebraska as well, but this is absurd. What have we done to contribute to the rise of the Big Ten? Ohio State and Michigan State are the only schools that deserve that credit.

As other posters have said, we are viewed has a has been program outside of this state. Rightfully so, in my opinion. The onus is on us to change that.

In football, next to nothing.

But we definitely raised the big ten's volleyball clout.

Led by Nebraska, Big Ten holds the keys to the 2016 NCAA volleyball season

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/article/17362809/led-reigning-champion-nebraska-big-ten-looks-get-first-last-word-2016-ncaa-volleyball-season

Dude, I love Nebraska as well, but this is absurd. What have we done to contribute to the rise of the Big Ten? Ohio State and Michigan State are the only schools that deserve that credit.

As other posters have said, we are viewed has a has been program outside of this state. Rightfully so, in my opinion. The onus is on us to change that.

In football, next to nothing.

But we definitely raised the big ten's volleyball clout.

Led by Nebraska, Big Ten holds the keys to the 2016 NCAA volleyball season

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/article/17362809/led-reigning-champion-nebraska-big-ten-looks-get-first-last-word-2016-ncaa-volleyball-season

Fair enough, but I was discussing football in the football forum.

Fair enough, but the discussion topic was about conference alignment, which, while appears to be driven mainly by football, is usually about more than football.