1 and 0

Good win tonight. The play calling never deviated away from the run. When we passed it was methodical and well timed. Tommy played smart, and the coaches called a great game for Tommy

I was encouraged to see Coach Riley upset with the penalties. Coach did not become overly excited about the win and seemed to see that this team needs to clean up the penalties. TCU is barley beating South Dakota State, Oklahoma lost to Houston, no 5 LSU ost to an unranked Wisconsin team. This team has momentum and started the season off on a good foot. I look forward to seeing this team grow and watching our young lines become better each week.

I was curious as to why DPE was not returning punts. I do believe that this game was strategically conservative, and that we could have easily scored 60 points if we passed. The coached want to run the ball and as the game went on we saw the effects of smash mouth football, warn out team that did not have the stamina to keep going.

Stupid penalties need to change asap, Darlington I understand. Williams penalty was dumb.

GO BIG RED

• Fire 2

I agree Norhusker. Now I played lots of football and have now been a dedicated fan for over 40 years. Can someone with major college first hand experience or knowledge please explain how the teams go about practicing such things as punt returns, punts, etc? It has been a long long time since I remember the Huskers putting great return teams on the field. I don't know if there are specific statistics kept on such things but we must be well below average in the % of punts that are actually fielded by the return man and of those we are most likely very low in the rankings of those who actually attempt returns vs. fair catches made.

Back in the day, Osborne's teams (most of them as I recall at least) rarely used the fair catch unless the conditions / circumstances demanded extreme caution. I don't know if they even have the 'halo' rule or something like it anymore but it seems to me that a team that is struggling to win games (Nebraska for example) would be inclined to attempt as many punt returns as possible as they are game changers and can lead to dramatic shifts in field position. Field position battles are key to winning close games with opponents of comparable strength/talent (like most teams we play anymore basically).

DPE has been reportedly 'ready' to play for a time and I thought was considered pretty sure handed in making the catches and if all we are doing is letting the punts bounce and hope or just calling a fair catch, we are better off to put another man up near the line of scrimmage to guard against the fake punts attempts and to give a man advantage in the block schemes.

We practiced technique a lot in college. Then we would go "live" against a full rush and then cover a full punt for 5-8 reps at least once a week in practice.

On punt return we did the same. The punt returners would get out early w the punters and field and return punts against air pretty much everyday. They would catch 20-25 punts a day and have full speed action 5-8 reps at least once a week.

It's different everywhere tho.