This concept of "talent" of which we speak...

Bowfin

Is this a thread about Oregon?

Ok, I can bring it back to the OP. Oregon doesn't look as good, because their talent is down. Talent on the O-line is down which is bringing Royce Freeman down. He was 11 carries for 87, but he had 1 carry for 49. So he was 10 for 38 on the other carries. I don't think Hefrich is nearly as talented of a coach as Chip Kelly.

How much talent does Houston have?

Per the recruiting rankings, not much at all.

Per the on the field product, apparently enough to beat a recruiting darling.

Talent can be developed. But when you combine the two. Good recruiting and development. That's when you have a Bama, FSU and the like.

Yes, I understand that.

NU will likely never ever have FSU/Bama style talent. There was short run in the 90s where it was arguable that it was on par, but that was a rare circumstance of local talent aligning in a way that it hasn't before or since. Even during those years, though, there was a large number of walkons on the depth chart (more than this year, for example).

NU needs A+ coaching to win championships, because I don't think we are ever going to consistently recruit as well as the Bama's and FSU's of the world.

They also went out and hired a freaking boss-ass-coach...

who will likely be in Baton Rouge or god knows where this time of year next year. Certainly wont be in Houston.

who will likely be in Baton Rouge or god knows where this time of year next year. Certainly wont be in Houston.

I did not even think about LSU...man, you might be right. I think he is from Texas so LSU would not be all that far off and lets face it...they will toss him a contract worth about 5 million a year with an asst pool of probably 4-5 million to work with.

Herman has an "it" factor to him, like Meyer does...he is like a young Meyer...he just seems to make his guys believe they are going to win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VLzJX8CRzM

I did not even think about LSU...man, you might be right. I think he is from Texas so LSU would not be all that far off and lets face it...they will toss him a contract worth about 5 million a year with an asst pool of probably 4-5 million to work with.

Herman has an "it" factor to him, like Meyer does...he is like a young Meyer...he just seems to make his guys believe they are going to win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VLzJX8CRzM

Miles is already dun. That loss saturday was the dagger. Unless he goes unbeaten from here. But with that offense it's not happening. Im not a Les Miles fan. Never have been. Nothing about his program suggests solid coaching. Just riding on the shirttails of incredible talent. And i think ppl of LSU have finally seen it the same way. What transpired at Lambeau Saturday was complete and utter garbage.

this is kneejerk with 11 games to go, but if Texas were smart (LOL, right?) theyll stick with Strong. I'd really like what I see transpiring in Austin if I were a texas fan right now. It's taken him a couple years, but he's instilled his culture. Gonna be interested where they go from here. Im a Strong fan.

fwiw....U.C. Davis has a history of looking better than they are against teams that overlook them.

They arn't very good, they were 2-9 last year. The really good Oregon teams would have won this game 70-14. It was just the first game of the season, but Davis played within 2 TDs the whole game. Oregon has a lot of work to do on defense and the offense was a little shaky. Their return game looked great.

I might be basing this on U.C. Davis upsetting Stanford on the road in 2005, which is already a long time ago.

fwiw....U.C. Davis has a history of looking better than they are against teams that overlook them.

They arn't very good, they were 2-9 last year. The really good Oregon teams would have won this game 70-14. It was just the first game of the season, but Davis played within 2 TDs the whole game. Oregon has a lot of work to do on defense and the offense was a little shaky. Their return game looked great.

I might be basing this on U.C. Davis upsetting Stanford on the road in 2005, which is already a long time ago.

Wasnt Standford like Kansas bad at that time too? I dont think they started making hay in their Harbaugh turn around until they beat USC in 2007 I believe.

• Fire 1

It would start with the measureables. Speed, strength and quickness. Add in a desire to succeed. Intelligence about the sport they play but also the ability to function in society. Granted boys especially at high school age don't always make the best decisions. Throw in the luck to have quality high school coaches or transferring to where there are good coaches that allow the athlete to practice without bad habits.

I agree but I view talent mostly as motion. So, on a level playing field, the team with more players that can run quicker, faster, jump higher, better hand coordination, duck, dive, twist and turn, stop and speed up, burst....is more talented. Skill is different and sometimes more skill is better than talent by itself.

I agree but I view talent mostly as motion. So, on a level playing field, the team with more players that can run quicker, faster, jump higher, better hand coordination, duck, dive, twist and turn, stop and speed up, burst....is more talented.

So can these things come about through strength and conditioning and practice?

Was the bobsled guy from Shelby as fast as he was ever going to get the first day he showed up at Lake Placid to try out?